IGNORED

Graphics using 1/2 a Card?

First Spear

I am pretty sure the answer is "no", but is it possible to set a background image using only 1/2 of a card to make a map that shows larger visible area than the Intellivision normally displays? In screen shots of Takeover, it looks like the cursor is moving in a map that has more surface area than it does on B-17 Bomber. I am not sure exactly how to explain what I think I see, other than the fact that there appear to be more "squares" in Takeover for a player to move through.

takeover.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks.

I am pretty sure the answer is "no", but is it possible to set a background image using only 1/2 of a card to make a map that shows larger visible area than the Intellivision normally displays? In screen shots of Takeover, it looks like the cursor is moving in a map that has more surface area than it does on B-17 Bomber. I am not sure exactly how to explain what I think I see, other than the fact that there appear to be more "squares" in Takeover for a player to move through.

takeover.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks.

The top picture looks like "Color Squares" mode, where the background resolution is reduced to 4 "bloxels" per 8x8 card. Each bloxel may have a different colour, but the resolution is barely 1/4 of the original.

Your question is a bit ambiguous. It is entirely possible to draw on only half a card, but I don't think this is what you meant. In such cases, you are still constrained to a single foreground colour on the card, unless you use the "Color Squares" mode and use lower resolution.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Yep, takeover uses a different video mode on the intellivision. It essentially draws on the screen with 4 giant squares ("bloxels") per card. So the resolution from a graphics perspective is very rough, but you do get a 4x grid if you're comparing locations like you're talking. The grid appears to be denser, but you can't really put any graphical detail into the boxes - they're just a color.

Adding some more info on colored squares: Each of the colored squares can be one of 8 colors. 0 through 6 are the normal primary Intellivision colors (Black, Blue, Red, Green, etc.) Color 7 comes from the top of the color stack.

If you use hardware MOB collision detection, colors 0 - 6 register as a background collision with MOBs, and I believe respond to MOB priority (ie. you can go above/behind those colors as with other background graphics). That is, they behave as "on" pixels for collision detection / MOB priority. Color 7 behaves as "off" pixels, consistent with its color coming from the color stack.

You can mix colored square graphics with other color stack graphics. That is, colored square "mode" isn't a full display mode. Rather, in color stack display mode, each tile of the background can display a normal graphic, or a 4x4 colored square graphic. That's how Snafu (which uses colored squares for the snakes) is able to mix the snakes with other graphics such as the score and the various obstacles on the course.

If you want a more detailed map, you might also look at the graphic shapes in GROM. Those, augmented with a few custom GRAM tiles, can go a long way also.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

And one other thing that I will add, in reference to the screenshots posted at the top: you can have the best of both worlds, by having a higher resolution map like B-17 Bomber, and making your cursor reticle and selectable elements smaller and denser.

There is no technical limitation that requires B-17 Bomber to have an 8x8 effective grid for selectable items--except perhaps the visual style and the amount of detail depicted. Those factories and AA installations could very well have been little tiny pixel thingies.

The only limitation would be that only one colour is allowed per 8x8 card, so you wouldn't be able to place, say, an industrial complex "black" on the same card as an anti-aircraft installation (white). However, that is not such a big deal.

dZ.

Aha.. So that is what Color Squares mode is. I finally get it, I think that was a bit "underdescribed" by the wiki and other docs I stumbled across. Thanks man.

The top picture looks like "Color Squares" mode, where the background resolution is reduced to 4 "bloxels" per 8x8 card. Each bloxel may have a different colour, but the resolution is barely 1/4 of the original.

[snip]

Thanks Rick. While the resolution is very rough, it does appear that it works fairly well for a high-level map view.

Yep, takeover uses a different video mode on the intellivision. It essentially draws on the screen with 4 giant squares ("bloxels") per card. So the resolution from a graphics perspective is very rough, but you do get a 4x grid if you're comparing locations like you're talking. The grid appears to be denser, but you can't really put any graphical detail into the boxes - they're just a color.

Aha.. So that is what Color Squares mode is. I finally get it, I think that was a bit "underdescribed" by the wiki and other docs I stumbled across. Thanks man.

Yes, Color Squares mode is just turning the screen into big "Duplo blocks" mode, with "bloxels" (that's a "block-pixel") that is actually 4x4 pixels of "normal" resolution. As with the regular mode, each 4x4 "bloxel" can only be one color at a time.

Thanks Rick. While the resolution is very rough, it does appear that it works fairly well for a high-level map view.

Actually, I still think the B-17 Bomber map is superior, with its higher resolution detail. Like I said in my last message, you could draw the map with the 8x8 resolution and make the selectable elements small enough to support a finer-grain selection grid.

-dZ.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that is how Sea Battle gets its impressive map display?

Adding some more info on colored squares: Each of the colored squares can be one of 8 colors.[snip]

You can mix colored square graphics with other color stack graphics. That is, colored square "mode" isn't a full display mode. Rather, in color stack display mode, each tile of the background can display a normal graphic, or a 4x4 colored square graphic. That's how Snafu (which uses colored squares for the snakes) is able to mix the snakes with other graphics such as the score and the various obstacles on the course.

[snip]

What I think I see in Takeover is Color Squares mode, but the cursor is not a block itself, it is a MOB shape. It looks like the MOB is not one tile in size, it looks like it is only the size of a part of a tile. It looks like there is 4x of typicalgame resolution.

I think I get it though. Thanks.

Your question is a bit ambiguous. It is entirely possible to draw on only half a card, but I don't think this is what you meant. In such cases, you are still constrained to a single foreground colour on the card, unless you use the "Color Squares" mode and use lower resolution.

-dZ.

I guess that is how Sea Battle gets its impressive map display?

Nope, those are all proper 8x8 tiles, not a mix of colored squares and regular tiles. Just like on the B-17 Bomber and Utopia screens. I believe some times come from GROM, and the rest GRAM.

What I think I see in Takeover is Color Squares mode, but the cursor is not a block itself, it is a MOB shape. It looks like the MOB is not one tile in size, it looks like it is only the size of a part of a tile. It looks like there is 4x of typicalgame resolution.

Yep, the cursor is a MOB, set to 'normal' resolution. MOBs are always made of one or two 8x8 tiles, but they can be stretched horizontally and vertically to cover different amounts of screen area. This one looks like it's a single 8x8 tile with a smaller-than-8x8 square drawn within that tile.

I believe they also use MOBs to make the square that lines each player's 'base'.

• 3 months later...

The Tron Deadly Discs actors appear to all be "double high" running men with discs. With player vs 3 enemies that makes 8 MOBs. Then when discs are in flight that makes 12 MOBs. I don't see any flicker.... What did I miss, how was that done?

Yes folks, I'm back after "going dark" for a while. Please expect more newbie-class questions while I ramp up on my game ideas again. :)

post-31694-0-81577400-1430562052_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

What?! I thought that one MOB at 16 pixels high would take two "MOB slots". Ugh.

A double-resolution mob (8x16) takes two consecutive 8x8 card slots from GRAM or GROM, but still just one MOB.