IGNORED

Stay Frosty 2 doesn't work on six switchers?

thecrypticodor

Both my 4-switch Atari and my Colecovision with Atari expansion module work great with this game. For some reason my Junior doesn't work with it, just a scrambled screen.

The game is great! Although I think I'm getting rusty, I can't get past screen 10! Eventually I think I'll make it and I can't wait to see the other 18 screens. Currently one of my favorites. Thanks for an excellent game.

Just an interesting tidbit I encountered.

The problem part is L200. Looking at the 2600 field service manual, they indicate that in 8/11/81, the inductor was replaced with a ferrite bead. So late model sixers may be fine. The ferrite bead does not cause the problems we've seen, and later consoles all use ferrite beads instead, as do 7800s.

Since 4-switches were out before 1981, it's possible that inductors were installed instead of ferrite beads in some of those too. I'd be curious to find out.

I suppose that those doing the sixer mod could install a ferrite bead in place of the inductor. I don't think it will matter much though (would only affect RF noise, so if that's not a problem, nothing needs to be done.) And those with a video mod already won't see any difference.

EDIT: The inductor does not need to be removed from sixers if you want to install a ferrite bead. Just get a small one and put it around the jumper wire that you solder onto the bottom of the board. Again this is not necessary unless you are seeing RF interference.

• Like 1

Just logging my Stay Frosty 2 AND Byte Before Christmas test results:

Does NOT work on my original light-sixer.

DOES work on 4-switch Vader and 7800.

Clever games, Gentlemen. Well done!

Batari, looking forward to your software fix. Thanks for your expertise and hard work.

Also, I never realized River Raid 2 didn't work on a light-sixer until this thread. Bought it back in '88 and must never have played it enough to notice the bug (plane goes off-screen to the left when hitting a target). Anyway, it works fine on the Vader. Thanks to those who shared that info.

Also, I never realized River Raid 2 didn't work on a light-sixer until this thread. Bought it back in '88 and must never have played it enough to notice the bug (plane goes off-screen to the left when hitting a target). Anyway, it works fine on the Vader. Thanks to those who shared that info.

Yeah, it was the same deal for me and California Games. I never paid much attention to the title screen not showing up right on my light sixer since the rest of the game works. Not to mention that I had the cart in storage for a couple of years since I could play it off harmony cart, where it doesn't have the bug.

I should check some games on the Colecovision 2600 adapter to see if any act weird. I know Thrust doesn't like it, though it's okay with some games like Robot Tank that have problems on some systems (though that one is fine on the six switchers).

Edited by BrianC

So the the question for Al on behalf of us who waited to buy both Stay Frosty and Byte, is it best to wait for a fix? I mean it kind of goes without saying, but I'd rather pay now and wait if these are limited run(s) ?

Of course I have an alterior motive, that being that I'll see new posts now when this thread is updated instead of having to search every time. :P

I haven't gotten this cart myself, but I just thought that I'd mention that I had a similar problem with the Stella Stocking cart I bought about 3 years ago. On my heavy 6 it works fine. On both of my light 6's, the game gets stuck on the initial title screen with the "have you played atari today" jingle....no way to advance beyond it.

Edited by eegad

In case it matters for finding a software solution, I wanted to share my experiences now that I've gotten to try it on more systems. It is NOT only the heavy sixers that have a problem with it. I've not gotten it to work on a few of mine:

Atari 2600 4-switch woodgrain

Atari 2600 Vader

Atari 2600 Jr.

However, it DOES work on one of my 7800s. (I've not tried my other 7800s or my Atari or Sears heavy sixers).

edit: The game is absolutely awesome though... just had to mention that.

Edited by KevinMos3

For information: I have bought three new games from AA store in december: Three.S, Stay Frosty 2 and The Byte before Christmas and the last two games don’t work on any of my Atari systems.

Three.s is OK on every system I have: one Atari 7800 ProSystem (French scart), one 4-swtich VCS with antenna output, one Atari 2600 jr.

I've also tried with my Colecovision module #1 without success...

Speakin' of games which won't run on older console...

This is also an answer I ask on the AA FBgroup:

"... what could be the reason why Elevator Action (NTSC) won’t run on my (NTSC) H6 but it does in the (PAL) L6 ? The older console does power on and display the first “screen” of the game, but when it has to start by pressing the firebutton, it crashes and I have to turn it all off… while on my PAL L6 it runs almost smoothly !"

I will modify (again !) my H6, soon, following iesposta way
(also because I'm saving some money to catch an Encore... AT LEAST ! ;) ), then I'll report what I'll get .

However appropriate or practical, or not.. I always prefer to have software or the cartridge modified to work on the system in question. I mean after all, all other games are working. This methodology applies to any game and not SF2 specifically.

Imagine if we had to mod our consoles each time a new game came out. That'd get real old real fast.

Edited by Keatah

However appropriate or practical, or not.. I always prefer to have software or the cartridge modified to work on the system in question. I mean after all, all other games are working. This methodology applies to any game and not SF2 specifically.

Imagine if we had to mod our consoles each time a new game came out. That'd get real old real fast.

Of course the long term solution is to just have it work as is. :) There will always be incompatibilities with 2600 games though as there are just too many different systems and TIA's out there. Then there's stuff like the FB2 which is really, really broken for a lot of roms. So no matter the effort there will always be problem.

I know in this case the sixers were pretty brutal with River Raid II. This mod does fix that, so its benefits are not only for SF2.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think the final fix is in yet, though my understanding is Al has a batch of the older Melody boards to use for those who've run into the sixer problem.

In regards to the fix posted in reply 35, I did that on both my light sixer (S-Video modded) and heavy sixer (stock RF). The fix worked for both, but the heavy sixer experienced extra noise in the picture during some of the sound effects.

Based on reply 78, using a lead with a ferrite bead should fix the problem. So I ordered some and installed one:

post-3056-0-25267800-1424023573_thumb.jpg

It worked great. Since I ended up with so many, I'm offering to give the extras away. Just drop me a PM with your name and address, along with how many you need*, and I'll drop it in the mail.

* if you have friends nearby who also need one, consider consolidating your requests :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...