IGNORED

Flappy Bird

Schmutzpuppe

When will you guys make a cart run of this title? I'm also looking forward to buying froggie too.

After a little more public playtesting just to make sure there is no bugs. I'll be doing Flappy, I have no idea what the plans are for Froggie you will have to

ask Matthias about who is producing that one. I would think the pokey chip supply and the finalization of the hokey clone are going to be factors with Froggie.

• Like 5

Eighty-one is a fantastic score. I was proud to get to ten in this 7800 version!

>>>I think anyone interested in game programming should make Flappy Bird as an early challenge.<<<

I had never made a complete game before FLAPPY, even though I had an 800XL in the 80's.

Flappy Bird is quite simple and barely a game:

You have to deal with one input.

Player up down movement.

An obstacle that moves one direction, left.

One collision test with said object.

Passing said object adds one score point.

Then add a flap sound and point sound and that is a game.

My programming experience level led to a funny flap animation, a scrolling city, scrolling flickered clouds, digitized speech because so much of the 4K was left over, and my creativity drove my version to play and look like I wanted, as opposed to trying to copy accurately the original.

Back to this 7800 version, I love how accurately the graphics are to the original and another brilliant use of the often maligned TIA sound. It sounds great!

Nice job! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I love the bright colors in this game. They're so beautiful to look at so I had to use them for some label art.

BTW, are there any easter egss in the game?

I need to get over 100 regardless. At first I thought 81 might be a fluke, but then I did 74. So, I think 100 is within reach. I'm sure someone will put that to shame soon. I used to work with a guy who could do over 300.

I grabbed this from http://www.atarimania.com

However, It is a .bas file. I can't figure out how to run it using Atari800Win PLus.

Maybe someone can turn it into a disk image.

attachicon.gifBats_Antic_Publishing_The_Best_of_Antic_Volume_1.zip

Not to take away from this thread and this AWESOME version of FLAPPY BIRD but I did some digging on the NET and found this file

014.zip

It is an Antic disk that has the game BATS on it...just make sure that you have your emulator of choice to boot with BASIC ENABLED and follow the on screen prompts.

post-34056-0-63853200-1419690633_thumb.png post-34056-0-98125300-1419690632_thumb.png

I appreciate good work within the constraints of the TIA.

I'm also geek enough to want a 7800 game, not this one, with Dual TIA for double the harshness. Really! It could happen!

Also since 7800 was designed for carts with audio hardware, a Gyruss that equals or surpasses the arcade music.

I appreciate good work within the constraints of the TIA.

I'm also geek enough to want a 7800 game, not this one, with Dual TIA for double the harshness. Really! It could happen!

Also since 7800 was designed for carts with audio hardware, a Gyruss that equals or surpasses the arcade music.

Gyruss has something like 16 sound chips inside the arcade unit. You aren't going to beat that without some exotic hardware.

Dual TIA would be interesting although obviously not as kick-ass as Dual or Quad POKEY. Now according to Jerry Jessop, Tod Frye whipped up a prototype console in two weeks that used 4 TIAs as a counter demonstration of Atari Inc's in-house engineering talents vs GCC's 7800 work. Each TIA would be assigned drawing one quarter of the TV screen. There were also prototypes using GTIA+TIA.

There's also Activision's DPC. I was under the impression it wasn't compatible with the 7800 but others have posted saying it works and the emulated version of the DPC in some 2600 homebrews also work on the 7800. I'll take their word for it.

As some have said, the 7800 could use graphics chips on the cartridge as well as a different CPU. Integrating NES mappers seems doable considering that info.

Gyruss has something like 16 sound chips inside the arcade unit. You aren't going to beat that without some exotic hardware.

... .

Not to argue, but the 2600's Harmony is already a computer pretending to be a ROM cart and a DPC+ chip and can handle all that and game logic. Quite exotic.

That the 7800 can have audio from the cart means anything making sound can be there. A classic chip, a new chip, an mp3 player, a computer playing the symphonic recording, etc. Making a game that interacts with its sound generation is more desirable than just a music playback.

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback.

I forgot to thank Trebor, Gambler172 and Shawn Sr. for play testing, thank you guys!

@KevinMos3: thanks for doing a video and nice label!

@Cybearg: CPUWIZ is right, it’s written in assembler

@Stun Runner 87: as Shawn said, he will produce a small run of carts after play testing.

Froggie depends on Albert

@Lynxpro: I think about adding HSC support. TIA sound is fine for me, no need to support Pokey.

• Like 4

I would prefer AtariVox for high score saving. There's no telling when/if the XM module gets released.

That's pretty cool. I wasn't aware the AtariVox+ could do that. Is there a way to plug in a DB9 Y Cable to Port 2 so that the AtariVox and a second joystick will work simultaneously?

That's pretty cool. I wasn't aware the AtariVox+ could do that. Is there a way to plug in a DB9 Y Cable to Port 2 so that the AtariVox and a second joystick will work simultaneously?

No, some of the directions of the port are reversed, so they can be used to talk to the Vox/SaveKey.

@KevinMos3: thanks for doing a video and nice label!

@Lynxpro: I think about adding HSC support. TIA sound is fine for me, no need to support Pokey.

You're very welcome. If you and Shawn Sr. would like to use it, let me know if you'd like any changes (colors, credit text, etc.) and I can whip it up for you. Personally, I prefer gray labels to match the existing carts, but any background or image arrangement can be done fairly quickly.

post-9364-0-64757600-1420425404_thumb.png post-9364-0-85177600-1420425416_thumb.png post-9364-0-53214400-1420425434_thumb.png post-9364-0-90248300-1420425442_thumb.png

Glad to hear you're thinking about high score saving. *whispers in your ear "psst: AtariVox+", "AtariVox+"... and HSC. ;)

I would prefer AtariVox for high score saving. There's no telling when/if the XM module gets released.

I'd love to have both. Especially since we now have the AtariVox+ in the AA store and there already exist High Score Carts. Plus, I still have hopes for the XM (although I hope to avoid getting into an XM discussion).

• Like 1

You're very welcome. If you and Shawn Sr. would like to use it, let me know if you'd like any changes (colors, credit text, etc.) and I can whip it up for you. Personally, I prefer gray labels to match the existing carts, but any

I liked some of the elements of your label. This is the final label I've already sent it off to get die cut prints.

post-7107-0-10086800-1420492427_thumb.jpg

post-7107-0-01321200-1420492428_thumb.jpg

• Like 4