IGNORED

(WIP) Super Pixel Brothers

catsfolly

it gives an error on pi saying something like: cannot find z1.rom z1.bin z1.int etc. etc. it didnt say this until i tried to use the new rom. Then i couldnt get it to stop saying that until i removed the -z1. Strange

You likely have a space in there. "- z1" instead of "-z1". jzintv thinks you're passing "z1" as a rom name.

How do you set jzintv's resolution that high? I've only ever found the flag for 640x480 (ok, plus the higher color mode which I don't understand the purpose of on a 16 color system)

Is 1080p only available in Windows maybe?

it is in linux on my raspberry pi. And yes there is a huge difference between picture quality. 480p makes stuff look fuzzy compared to the crystal clear picture of 1080p. if you saw the 2 on a tv side by side you would never want to play in 480p ever again. I sure wont Edited by pimpmaul69

it is in linux on my raspberry pi. And yes there is a huge difference between picture quality. 480p makes stuff look fuzzy compared to the crystal clear picture of 1080p. if you saw the 2 on a tv side by side you would never want to play in 480p ever again

What flag do you use for 1080p? Because this is all I get for options:

Video and Sound Flags:

-z# --displaysize=# Desired display mode:

0: 320x200x8bpp

1: 640x480x8bpp

2: 320x240x16bpp

Am I using an old build or something?

What flag do you use for 1080p? Because this is all I get for options:

Video and Sound Flags:

-z# --displaysize=# Desired display mode:

0: 320x200x8bpp

1: 640x480x8bpp

2: 320x240x16bpp

Am I using an old build or something?

inretropie for the raspberry pi using emulaion station to run jzintv in the es_systems.cfg you can add your flags. you probably could do this in windows jzintv too. the -z1 is set as -z1920x1080,16:

<command>/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv-1.0-beta4/bin/jzintv -v1 --jlp --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1920x1080,16 -f1 -q %ROM%</command>

Edited by pimpmaul69

There's an updated jzIntv out there right now for the R-Pi that allows arbitrary resolutions. This version will be available soon for everybody. (Or go snag the source out of the R-Pi thread and compile it yourself.)

FWIW, the purpose of the "high color 320x240 mode" was to work well on a GP2X, IIRC. Basically, jzIntv had to render directly to what that device's display supported.

Ah, neat. I may mess with that, depending on how you've built it (never looked at the source to be honest). 640x is decent, but sometimes I'd like a larger windowed view. Next up: scanlines! :P

I still think he was using an aberrant space; sounds like the shell was mishandling flags as input files. I can't see how declaring resolution twice would cause a flag to be interpreted as a filename, unless you've done something pretty awful in your code.

Ah, neat. I may mess with that, depending on how you've built it (never looked at the source to be honest). 640x is decent, but sometimes I'd like a larger windowed view. Next up: scanlines! :P

I still think he was using an aberrant space; sounds like the shell was mishandling flags as input files. I can't see how declaring resolution twice would cause a flag to be interpreted as a filename, unless you've done something pretty awful in your code.

All i know is it worked the first time until i replaced the updated spb.rom. wouldnt work right after that. Once i removed it, it worked Edited by pimpmaul69

I want more info on the handheld itself, I want to make my own and program games for it. Is there a link somewhere about how?

The best site for information on this is:

http://www.bradsprojects.com/super-pixel-bros/

One company was selling the circuit board for the handheld, but their website appears to be down.

Retrobrad has recently developed an Arduinio addon 64 pixel display called the Digipixel. So you could get one of those and make your own handheld, I imagine.

http://www.bradsprojects.com/the-digipixel/

Catsfolly

• Like 1

It looks like the kits are still unobtainable. I definitely want one. :) thanks for the find!

Of course, this also makes me think about how having a secondary display of any kind might be cool (not necessarily useful) in an Intellivision game, and how it might be hooked up. The Dreamcast unsuccessfully tried to use VMUs to support games like Dino Crisis for ammo and health stats.....

The best site for information on this is:

http://www.bradsprojects.com/super-pixel-bros/

One company was selling the circuit board for the handheld, but their website appears to be down.

Retrobrad has recently developed an Arduinio addon 64 pixel display called the Digipixel. So you could get one of those and make your own handheld, I imagine.

http://www.bradsprojects.com/the-digipixel/

Catsfolly

It looks like the kits are still unobtainable. I definitely want one. :) thanks for the find!

Of course, this also makes me think about how having a secondary display of any kind might be cool (not necessarily useful) in an Intellivision game, and how it might be hooked up. The Dreamcast unsuccessfully tried to use VMUs to support games like Dino Crisis for ammo and health stats.....

I don't know about kits, but it looks like the circuit board for Super Pixel Brothers is available again:

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/bare-open-pcb/im121017002.html

Yeah, when the original Intellivision football was developed, the designers struggled with the user interface - players had to select their next play on the screen and hope that the other player didn't see which play they chose. After that, many of the Blue Sky Rangers thought that each player should have some kind of private display (maybe built into the hand control), where they could display information that the other player shouldn't see. It seemed like a naturally development that would happen eventually. But, except for the Dreamcast, no one has done much about it.

• Like 1

Yeah, when the original Intellivision football was developed, the designers struggled with the user interface - players had to select their next play on the screen and hope that the other player didn't see which play they chose. After that, many of the Blue Sky Rangers thought that each player should have some kind of private display (maybe built into the hand control), where they could display information that the other player shouldn't see. It seemed like a naturally development that would happen eventually. But, except for the Dreamcast, no one has done much about it.

Well, there's the Wii U now, with its tablet-infused controllers. Also, at some point network gaming just gave everyone a dedicated system and private view, starting in the early 90s. I think that took a lot of pressure off of dedicated hardware in the controller.

• Like 1

This looks interesting. I wonder how it could be made to work on hardware.

Maybe it could be a demo inlcuded with the LTO. That would make me buy another loading cart.

Or I wonder if two or three of these could efforts could be placed together on a cart (or just one, if that is all that is possible).

I guess I am a purist and have not done much with emulation, compared to running games on e hardware.

This looks interesting. I wonder how it could be made to work on hardware.

It does work on standard hardware, either LTO hardware or my new PCB with RAM. It should work directly with LTO, or if you use my PCB, then as long as all the "odd" (non power of 2) multiplies and divides are replaced by multiplies and divides in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, etc.). For instance, if you need to multiply by "a" by 6, instead of writing a*6 you write a*4 +a*2. Hopefully nanochess will update the compiler to make this a bit easier.

Freeweed shamed me into it! Here is a version of Super Pixel Brothers that requires no extra ram.

(_ner means No Extra Ram)

This version should run on anything - Intellicart, cc3, LTO flash, Hive, CP1610 powered toasters, anything!

Of course, I've only tested it on the emulator. But it doesn't require special memory or multicart capabilities...

spb_ner.rom

spb_ner.bas

sticdefs.bas

Have fun,

Catsfolly

• Like 3

Freeweed shamed me into it! Here is a version of Super Pixel Brothers that requires no extra ram.

(_ner means No Extra Ram)

This version should run on anything - Intellicart, cc3, LTO flash, Hive, CP1610 powered toasters, anything!

Of course, I've only tested it on the emulator. But it doesn't require special memory or multicart capabilities...

attachicon.gifspb_ner.rom

attachicon.gifspb_ner.bas

attachicon.gifsticdefs.bas

Have fun,

Catsfolly

Ooooh! Where can I get a CP1610-powered toaster? And how do I install Super Pixel Brothers into it? :lol:

• Like 2

How about one that does the running man logo on the toast? You can get the ones that put the weather on your toast, so it can't be that hard. Maybe its a job for Crazy Climber :lol:.

Now, I would toast my bread and waffles on that toaster! :lol:

-dZ.

• Like 1

I did a search on the internet, but couldn't find in CP1610 powered toasters. Too bad.

This netbsd toaster is probably overkill for the task...

post-14916-0-91379500-1419862974_thumb.jpg

Maybe this Cuisinart toaster could be hacked to play Super Pixel Brothers, but I imagine Cusinart's virus protection is pretty good....

post-14916-0-06987200-1419862977_thumb.jpg

As for toasters that actually write on toast - most of them are pretty slow...

post-14916-0-90973300-1419863105_thumb.jpg

And, since no one has perfected a way to ERASE toast, you have to use up one piece of toast per video frame.

Even a short game would cost a lot of "bread" :)

Catsfolly

• Like 3