IGNORED

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

DvdXploitr

On 12/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, solo/ng said:

I dont want to make new topic, so will reply here. We did Mortal Kombat for the Lynx (Silly Venture 2019 event) and tryed to have it all: all framesanimations (from arcade), decent colors, voice samples, digital FX, music, parallaxes, shadows.  I hope the result will make happy Lynx's fighting games fans.

We have to fix few bugs, add the blood (to have all arcade stuff) and add comlink support (the engine already can play 2 player mode but we dont have comlynx support prroggrammed yet and  sadly  two Lynxes in real  to test it.

Will post video tomorrow and the  .rom will be available december 24th (in two weeks)

xZjRCZN.png

C098AJG.png

T6E1Lzc.png

owXY1YV.png

Absolutely amazing work. Is this going to be the biggest ROM released for the Lynx so far? Your version looks like not only will it blow away the Game Gear version, but even give the Genesis version a run for its money...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sd32 said:

Gotta love the Amiga copper-like color effects on the backgrounds. And also the fact that you got parallax scrolling going on. How many colors are being displayed in average?

24-40 colors on average: main scene - main palette, bottom floor - different palette, background gradients (the copper like you mentioned). depends what stage is displayed.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

But every time I tried to play as Sonia, I got Scorpion ?

Because Scorpion is the best! ;> Soon ;) 

Edited by solo/ng
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, solo/ng said:

24-40 colors on average: main scene - main palette, bottom floor - different palette, background gradients (the copper like you mentioned). depends what stage is displayed.

Because Scorpion is the best! ;> Soon ;) 

I suspected it has way more color than 16. Impressive feat.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2019 at 9:16 PM, mvirtuale said:

Good job!
it's a dream come true.?
I tried scorpion, Johnny Cage and Liu Kang
Will you finish the game?
will the rom or the cart be released?

the game is going to be finished|:> party version .rom (lyx and lnx) will be available december 24th (with more stuff inside - maybe even all characters already). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Sooooooo where are people finding the ROM for this?

Four posts up from yours...

On 12/10/2019 at 3:12 PM, solo/ng said:

party version .rom (lyx and lnx) will be available december 24th (with more stuff inside - maybe even all characters already). 

And in the meantime...

On 12/9/2019 at 6:08 AM, Igor said:

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 7:11 PM, sirlynxalot said:

Too bad the two sets of A and B buttons on the lynx can't be mapped to serve as 4 different buttons, that would be ideal for this game :)

yeah it would be perfect:)

We aim A+B+option key for block (block is in the game already) and tweak some moves to have similar feeling as arcade;

all staple moves are there: sweep, uppercut, hpunches, mpunches, roundkick, kick, knee (if close to enemy) etc

MK controls are good for Lynx in general - almost all are horizontal /vertical without qcfs / shoryukens shanigans ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Igor said:

@solo/ng did you think about making original characters and not using the MK title in case you run into legal issues? It would be cool to see an original fighting game on the Lynx and I guess you can reuse the same engine.

If need be I'd rather see it officially licensed for a small production run

20 hours ago, Igor said:

@solo/ng did you think about making original characters and not using the MK title in case you run into legal issues? It would be cool to see an original fighting game on the Lynx and I guess you can reuse the same engine.

16 hours ago, Jazzoff2000 said:

If need be I'd rather see it officially licensed for a small production run

It's always a problem if you should go for an already existing game or make something of your own, when thinking of a physical release. Obviously people like things they already know so it's probable to draw more attention. Zaku was/(is) really impressive for selling massive amounts for being a Lynx game and using original characters.

I've not thought much about why it is "everyone" (including me) wants to see games on the Lynx that we already can play on a hundred different systems and emulators. I think it might be that it's nice to see that your favorite system can pull off some favorite game, because you always "knew it could", and to play those games on your real favorite hardware. I used to dream of Sonic on the Lynx, and I've been thinking that Rainbow Islands would be fantastic for the Lynx. (It'd just be sooo much work trying to port big games like that, reading that not even 10% of gamers ever play through a game, that'd be like ten people on the Lynx).

But yeah then there's the licensing issues. From what I've read and followed over the years it seems very rare that these greedy companies give out small licenses. They could try to follow their time a little bit, don't they want to be popular?? Then if someone makes an unauthorized physical release of some old game THEN they sometimes seem to care and pounce ? Still there's both examples of unauthorized releases that haven't gotten into trouble and those that have gotten licenses. For example, I would guess at least Mappy and Halo have been released for the Atari 2600 with license?

Btw. didn't the Jaguar have some mortal kombat clone? Or even more than one?

Clone-ish games can be pretty hit and miss too. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Like I looove Zippy the porcupine on Atari 2600, but a lot of those kind of clones feel a bit wrong, like "ALMOST Sonic... yay..." :D

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

For example, I would guess at least Mappy and Halo have been released for the Atari 2600 with license.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2600 :

Halo 2600 was written by Ed Fries, former vice president of game publishing at Microsoft, who was involved in Microsoft's acquisition of Halo developers Bungie.

I guess it can halp when you come to licensing issues :D