IGNORED

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

DvdXploitr

I don't know anything about the modern Halo game, but it's a nice/fun thing that he did it, however not only "big shots" should be able to do what they want or to license stuff. If a company is not interested or doesn't reply on a licensing request within a couple of months, then it should be legal to do some tiny production runs for old systems (and similar situations).

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

There are a lot of rules and regulations aroung copyright, trademark and such. It's a highly complex thema with as many legislation as there are countries, but with 3 big blocks basically: USA where all power is with the copyright owner (cf. Disney), the EU where there are some limitation, based on time and use of the license... and China, where all of that does not matter :D

For instance, I'm a huge fan of Conan the Barbarian and because his creator has been dead for over 80 years, Conan and all the surrounding work should be in public domain, and anyone should be able to use the characters and the universe. Well guess what... it's not possible at all... (even though a comics book french company - Glénat - is publishing a new Conan comics without any of the rights... well because according to EU legislation you can... so far they have been left in peace by the "Conan Company", but they are never going to publish anything in the US - technically even as a private person, you cannot import those new comics books to the US).

Back to MK, the licence is still pretty big and used on a regular basis (it's actually the biggest fighting game at the moment - they sold 11 millions of MK11), so you can't really claim that they are not using the brand... Only option is to try to get a deal, but why would they even do that? Why would they risk to "damage" the brand for zero income? Passion and prestige is not why they work and return on investment is how they think.

But you never know... I'd try to contact someone at NetherRealm Studios, they are the MK game developers, so they understand the meaning of passion projects better than financial guys, and also they are in close contact with the publisher. Going through them might be your best chance to be able to semi-officially release the game. But the chance of a cease-and-desist are like a million time bigger.

On a side note... there is a reason why Bombercats, my bomberman hommage game is not released yet... and guess why... :D

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 4

On 12/18/2019 at 12:41 AM, LordKraken said:

There are a lot of rules and regulations aroung copyright, trademark and such. It's a highly complex thema with as many legislation as there are countries, but with 3 big blocks basically: USA where all power is with the copyright owner (cf. Disney), the EU where there are some limitation, based on time and use of the license... and China, where all of that does not matter :D

For instance, I'm a huge fan of Conan the Barbarian and because his creator has been dead for over 80 years, Conan and all the surrounding work should be in public domain, and anyone should be able to use the characters and the universe. Well guess what... it's not possible at all... (even though a comics book french company - Glénat - is publishing a new Conan comics without any of the rights... well because according to EU legislation you can... so far they have been left in peace by the "Conan Company", but they are never going to publish anything in the US - technically even as a private person, you cannot import those new comics books to the US).

Back to MK, the licence is still pretty big and used on a regular basis (it's actually the biggest fighting game at the moment - they sold 11 millions of MK11), so you can't really claim that they are not using the brand... Only option is to try to get a deal, but why would they even do that? Why would they risk to "damage" the brand for zero income? Passion and prestige is not why they work and return on investment is how they think.

But you never know... I'd try to contact someone at NetherRealm Studios, they are the MK game developers, so they understand the meaning of passion projects better than financial guys, and also they are in close contact with the publisher. Going through them might be your best chance to be able to semi-officially release the game. But the chance of a cease-and-desist are like a million time bigger.

On a side note... there is a reason why Bombercats, my bomberman hommage game is not released yet... and guess why... :D

WB Games, a division of Warner Media - apparently what Time Warner was renamed as - itself a division of AT&T, owns the Mortal Kombat IP, not NetherRealm. 

Release the game online w/o seeking a license. If there's interest in a physical card version, contact WB Games. If they ask for a pie-in-the-sky dollar figure for a license, go to Kickstarter for the publicity. Maybe they'd settle for an option to bundle it in any future Midway's Greatest Hits collection release. I'm sure they're already planning for such a version for the Nintendo Switch if they haven't released it already.

Amazing work! The whole scene is booming with life lately, very interesting!

I think for homebrew & potential copyright infringement you can always decide to release a ROM into the wild where it'll live its own life.

Once you receive some kind of cease & desist letter I'm not sure you should ever release it afterwards.. that could get you into legal trouble which for sure isn't worth your time and money.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer or do I know a lot about copyright. It sucks how a lot of these fan-made projects are being stopped with cease & desist once it starts to gain traction.

Which is why I would recommend that instead of waiting for a cease and desist, I would proactively ask, not the trademark owner because they dont care, but the current developers of the MK game.

I'm working in the AAA game industry and believe or not, the people working on those big games actually LOVE games. So they might be able to help you getting some kind of agreement (lile ok release the game but dont make any money out of it).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

Selecting SubZero picks Scorpion. Does this happen on a real Lynx or is this an emulation issue?

Yeah. It's by design in party version. Selection part permits you to select any character, but only few characters have assets (due to memory constraints). In such case Scorpion is selected by default.

On 12/23/2019 at 8:36 AM, LordKraken said:

Yes and no. I wasnt planning to have comlynx first so the only blocker was the potential IP infringement... this is almost solved but yes kow Id like to have comlynx in.

I was blocked for a while with too many lost packet but now i know what i did wrong, so i have hope for this year :)

Would it be possible to instead to use a WiModem to allow Lynx two player action without resorting to the comLynx?