IGNORED

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

DvdXploitr

On 10/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, laoo said:

I must say, that doing full version of MK exclusively on Lynx GD is very compelling.

I tried to look up the Lynx GD capabilities. I couldn't find anything except bare bones stuff. It doesn't seem to add anything to it like the Jag GD. But I guess you could still use it for big 2mb cart.

I you download it and look at the content of the zip file, the Unlit ROM is a 128kb ROM but is uses/stream nearly 9mb of data from the SD Card.

There is no limit to the amount of data a demo/game can use (even the 2mb ROM seems to be tiny ROM compared to this). You are only limited by the Lynx RAM at instant T, and how to manage all this amount of data.
Oh, and the fact only GD owners could use it of course.

This opens new fields for games like MK that uses lots of data that probably could not fit inside a Lynx ROM (you could have all personnages, instead of the limited selection for example).

This being said, I am probably the only one here that is not a fan of MK series, so I don't really care for this particular game :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:35 PM, 3Y3 said:

Because I seriously think this is an excellent idea to save space I just had to do this (sorry Raiden fans, I just figured he had the most unique assets and special moves that would take up space)

Be honest, you all know you would be happy with this amount of Ninja in our Lynx. :D

mk-lynx-reptile.jpg.1adb6729e709603c30d5350141272587.jpg

Ok no more of this. It's obvious now cutting anything isn't needed with the Lynx GD. 

Well hell let's just start porting MK3

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3828

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

, and the fact only GD owners could use it of course

Lynx GD is readily available from multiple sources for $90 though. No different than me buying a game from France and having it shipped to the US. If there are several programs that are GD only releases, people will be more apt to get one.

Yes I know.

It is just you won't buy a Lynx cart with packaging, but download a file to put on a SD card, or buy a SD card with packaging.

Or maybe Saint will make a stripped down and cheaper Lynx GD that can run only 1 ROM, and the SD card will be enclosed (no way to remove it). Who knows...

But yes, what New Generation manage to do with the Lynx GD, and the Lynx in general is really amazing.

29 minutes ago, Fadest said:

Yes I know.

It is just you won't buy a Lynx cart with packaging, but download a file to put on a SD card, or buy a SD card with packaging.

Or maybe Saint will make a stripped down and cheaper Lynx GD that can run only 1 ROM, and the SD card will be enclosed (no way to remove it). Who knows...

This is still the how do i sell it without getting sued problem. 

• 3 months later...

Next just imagine streetfighter 2 on atari lynx and with most of the bells & wissles fromthose 16bit counterparts including 2 player option,that would cool,btw it blows my mind that even 16 colors can be just more then enough to be faitfull compared to those 16bit versions,and with that said i just can’t believe that even 64 colors on the genesis was considered to be limited compared to the 256 colors from the snes version,if even 16 colors on the lynx can look very acceptible once in good use,altrough the lynx does have a much higher colorpallet then the sega genesis,but that’s it.

• 1 year later...

just trying this out on real hardware for the first time and it looks beautifully implemented graphically, more faithful to the arcade visually than the Genesis and rivaling the snes.

@solo/ng @laoo have you guys been able to get any special moves/fatalites added yet? any progress updates you could give possibly?

i really hope this still becomes a reality someday as a finished Lynx port! 

• Like 1