IGNORED

Stay Frosty 2 is awesome!

jongolo

Stay Frosty 2 is amazing! The creativity, the detail and the variety of levels in this game go way beyond my expectations of what's possible on the 2600. And 32 unique levels (that repeat 4 times with an increasing level of difficulty) is mind-blowing! I seriously have to remind myself that I'm playing on the old Atari because this game looks and sounds incredible.

The only trouble is this game is kicking my butt! I consider myself relatively good at video games, but I'm seriously having trouble getting very far on this one. Things got tough for me at level 9 and, although this game keeps me coming back for more, I have yet to get past level 10!

Thanks Mr. Spice and team for an excellent game!

Edited by jongolo
  • Like 5

Thank you. It is ALWAYS nice to read reviews, even if I only entered a bunch of notes.

There is so much more too see and find, you can't even imagine!

I know of things, since I play-tested, and I have yet to see them!

It can be an enjoyable holiday game as well as being a gigantic platform adventure at the same time.

I complained that 10 was too hard too fast, but like each level, as you get to know it and improve, once you pass it it will be easier the next time.

Anyone feel free to PM me for hints and tips, but I am eventually going to need some tips, because there are stages I can't pass. (However ALL the levels have been played, so however impossible it looks at first, all levels are able to be completed.)

It's more than 4k, so I refuse to play it. Anything more than 4k is cheating! :D

Remember to review it in the AtariAge store:

atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1044

You could always break it smaller pieces and try it little by little. :P

This is a game that has an ending, and it's pretty cool. Every level can be beaten, and on the harder levels there are simple strategies you will learn that help you through them.

If you have a Genesis controller or Gamepad then you get much better control over the Atari joystick

I'm hoping someone posts a longplay video soon so I can see the ending. :)

I know it's going to be forever before I get good enough to get there myself. I think the farthest I've made it is the 2nd or 3rd scrolling level. I usually lose all my lives/continues on the 1st scrolling level because of the way those pesky firebirds move so fast when you have the carrot.

Thanks for the controller idea, Darrell. I'll have to give the Starplex a go. I hadn't thought of using it.

Made it to level 29 tonight.

I hadn't played SF2 in quite some time. I decided to play a couple games last night and just barely made it to level 27.

Jeez but that is going to be a very long game if I can ever get through all of the levels. It takes me more than a half-hour to get where I am now.

If only there were a way to practice specific levels.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 3

The title of this topic already delivers my opinon on SF2.

I played the demo countless times, but playing the full version on actual hardware for the first time was glorious. When you play this game, the only word that will come out of your mouth is "Wow." From the big things like the controls, visuals, and music down to the little things like two button support on the Genesis gamepad will make you utter that one word.

It is truly one of THE BEST 2600 games I have ever played! Thank you Mr. Spice, and keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Please post your "WOW" stories.

The developers love to hear reactions to various game elements!

Now that it is released, there is no secrecy, (except for those who programmed or play tested the game, we aren't telling anything).

If you are afraid you might be spoiling something, put it in a spoiler tag.

Just type left bracket [, spoiler, right bracket ] Your text. Then left bracket [, forward slash /, spoiler then a right bracket].

Without spaces: [ spoiler ] Your Text. [ / spoiler ]

Testing:

This is a spoiler text. Have you seen the...? If only there were a way to practice specific levels...

• Like 2

Just type left bracket [, spoiler, right bracket ] Your text. Then left bracket [, forward slash /, spoiler then a right bracket].

Without spaces: [ spoiler ] Your Text. [ / spoiler ]

Or you can click on the Special BBCode button and select Spoiler from the drop-down menu.

• Like 1

I hate to admit it, but I greatly despise the firebirds on level 10. I've only gotten past it once. They keep taking my carrot.

One thing that will help (which is mentioned in the manual), is that if you hold down the fire button, your snowman will jump repeatedly. Use this to climb the platforms faster.

I hate to admit it, but I greatly despise the firebirds on level 10. I've only gotten past it once. They keep taking my carrot.

There's a few options for 10

1) throw a snowball at the birds to temporarily freeze them

2) use the bird's attraction to the carrot to your advantage. On the left side of the "tree" shape, jump straight up (so you're not jump up to the platform but falling back down to the lowest level) so the lower bird reacts. If you make it so the two birds are flying left and right in formation, with the lower bird slightly ahead of the upper bird, it's much easier to get past them.

3) you don't actually need the carrot to finish level 10.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1