IGNORED

UWOL for Colecovision

alekmaul

Hi all,

Here is my last post for this year (^^, yes, that's true :D !).

I wanted to show you another game that I hope to release next year.

It is UWOL Quest for Money, adapted from my SNES version, which is adapted from the Mojon Twins team game (you can see it here : http://www.mojontwins.com/juegos_mojonos/uwol-quest-for-money/.

The game uses the VGM compression tools and player from Tursi, thanks to him for the help and this great tool . You can see his comrpession tool here : http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226125-vgm-compression-tool/

It will be available in 2015, in ROM format or cart if I can find a publisher.

I wish you lot's of great things for next year and see you in 2015 :D !

Edited by alekmaul
  • Like 11

• 9 months later...

I wanted to know if the enemies will have a second sprite. It rare that the enemy are on the same scanline. Only a few levels that have 2 enemies on a line. Then we have the ghost. So I think 30hz flicker would work out for this game. Plus the enemies will stand out better on a busy background.

Currently, ennemies are only one sprite based. What do you mean exactly with 30hz flicker ?

Also, the game is closed to be finished but I have an issue with borders because, in original game, the background is before sprites and hide sides of sprites on each border. I need to find a way to do that.

At least, the game uses VGM routine to play music.

Edited by alekmaul

use a sprite with 0 as the colour which is a mask and layer it above the sprite to be masked. I havn't tried this but it might work

BTW did you get the sound fx to work as well as the music and how did you go about doing that using sdcc?

Currently, ennemies are only one sprite based. What do you mean exactly with 30hz flicker ?

Also, the game is closed to be finished but I have an issue with borders because, in original game, the background is before sprites and hide sides of sprites on each border. I need to find a way to do that.

I mean the sprites will flicker at 30 fps if there's more than 4 on a line like it does in Bagman.

Sprites will always have priority over the background. Only way to make a mask is have a colored high priority sprite over the lower priority sprites. BlueMSX emulate invisible colored sprites incorrectly. When I used invisible sprite over the lower priority sprite, it produced a mask. However, it didn't work on the real hardware. I used the mask to cover the basketball or hockey net in Pong, when I tried it on real hardware, it didn't mask the hockey puck or the basketball. I had to redo the tiles and made the sprite single color to match the tiles color.

One other way is to have software sprites like Spectrum uses, which uses the background tiles instead of hardware sprites.

Edited by Kiwi

BTW did you get the sound fx to work as well as the music and how did you go about doing that using sdcc?

Yes, soundfx work for me, didn't used special tricks for that. Will check my code to know exactly how I made them OK.

Edited by alekmaul

Render sprites in the order 0 to 31 one frame and 31 to 0 the next frame, this will give you minor flickering (depending on how often more than 4 sprites are on a line).

Use higher number sprites for any outline/secondary colours.

See the template for my series on my web site for examples, or PM me for the code.

I've been playing Digger recently and I noted the sprites are two tones with only one sprite, it flickers sprites at 30 hz.

Amazingly flicker is hidden from eye.

It uses same color in both sprites, but using two colours in alternate frames you could get three colours. So I think this is what artrag says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnqMJy_xmNk

No in my case only the 3rd color flickers.

I use two sprites of two colors. The sprite planes are reverted at 60Hz.

The part that overlaps gives a 3rd color from the blend of the other two.

If the sprites move at 30Hz the flickering is almost invisible.

If they move faster you can have some flickering.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...