IGNORED

Atari 1050 and 3.5" Floppy Drive

pixelmischief

What are my options for getting a 3.5" floppy drive mounted and functional inside a 1050. The XF-551 PCB doesn't fit. I thought about an SIO2USB connected to a USB floppy drive, mounted in the case. Not sure about that. I know Bob, MetalGuy and Candle were bouncing the idea around in 2009. No idea if it went anywhere. Ideas? Suggestions?

*** STOP! READ THIS! ***

Please don't post something to the effect that "floppies are dead". Likewise, any dissertations on the functional or nostalgic superiority of 5.25" floppies is also unwelcome. I just want to talk about a 3.5" floppy drive in a 1050 case. Thank you for not hijacking.

Edited by pixelmischief

I thought about an SIO2USB connected to a USB floppy drive, mounted in the case. Not sure about that. I know Bob, MetalGuy and Candle were bouncing the idea around in 2009. No idea if it went anywhere. Ideas? Suggestions?

It isn't work. SIO2USB has special ROM, wchich read USB pendrives. If you think about SIO2PC_USB - that must be connected to USB port in your PC (or Mac).

But idea of 3,5" drive is good, for me. If I remember - USB drive has normal (or slim) drive inside. So, you can use drive inside it. But you can made:

- new cable connector for drive (3,5" instead of 5,25")

- change internal rom in 1050

- change RPM of 3,5" floppy drive (is too fast for Atari disk)

Good luck ;)

It isn't work. SIO2USB has special ROM, wchich read USB pendrives. If you think about SIO2PC_USB - that must be connected to USB port in your PC (or Mac).

But idea of 3,5" drive is good, for me. If I remember - USB drive has normal (or slim) drive inside. So, you can use drive inside it. But you can made:

- new cable connector for drive (3,5" instead of 5,25")

- change internal rom in 1050

- change RPM of 3,5" floppy drive (is too fast for Atari disk)

Good luck ;)

What if I used a standard 3.5" drive mech and cable? Could I use them in a 1050 by only changing the ROM?

What if I used a standard 3.5" drive mech and cable? Could I use them in a 1050 by only changing the ROM?

No. You have to make up the 34 pin drive cable and wire it into the 1050 board. There would be *many* ROM changes. A number of functions that are done in a standard drive (seek, spin, R/W) were done in the 1050 ROM. You don't need those any more.

Bob

Hello,

It should be possible using an XF drive.

But of course you need to make sure the cable fits and the drive is set to the correct unit number.

The XF needs it to be drive zero and not one.

And you need some changes to the rom, so it will make 80 tracks.

But it is possible, I'm sure because I've done it.

You also might want to ask Dropcheck about it.

BR/

Guus Assmann

Hello Guus

Bob (Bob1200XL) was probably the first one to do it. His mod was published in IIRC ANTIC (just to give you an idea how long ago he modded his first XF551).

Lenore (Dropcheck) hasn't changed her log on her website since early november. Which probably means she's still unpacking boxes after she moved to her new home.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

No. You have to make up the 34 pin drive cable and wire it into the 1050 board. There would be *many* ROM changes. A number of functions that are done in a standard drive (seek, spin, R/W) were done in the 1050 ROM. You don't need those any more.

Bob

I think soldering up the wire shouldn't bee too much of a challenge. As far as the ROM changes are concerned, is there not an existing EEPROM image I can burn and drop in?

You would have to find the signals for the 34-pin cable on the 1050 board or make them up in new logic. Doable, not easy. The XF551 is already designed for the 34-pin interface, the 1050 is not.

No code exists for a standard drive in a 1050. The current 1050 code does things like drive the stepper motor directly. That code would have to be changed to pulse a STEP and DIRECTION to the new drive.

I like the 1050, too, but it would really need a new motherboard. External power, more features, CF interface. Something like a SIO2PC without the PC!

Dude... are you sure the XF551 board won't fit?

Bob

post-14708-0-33270200-1420232006_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Whack off the front 3" of the old 1050 PCB and it will mount the power switch and LED where they belong.

This could be pretty cool!

(don't get me started on this - I have plenty to do around here)

I have lots and lots of dead 1050s if someone wants to try this.

Bob

post-14708-0-62662200-1420233951_thumb.jpg

*** STOP! READ THIS! ***

Please don't post something to the effect that "floppies are dead". Likewise, any dissertations on the functional or nostalgic superiority of 5.25" floppies is also unwelcome. I just want to talk about a 3.5" floppy drive in a 1050 case. Thank you for not hijacking.

It's funny, when I tried to ask in other forums about getting a floppy to work on modern PC systems, it was the same thing- people screaming "WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO??!!" Anyway, don't want to hijack... carry on. :)

It does not look like the ports and switch in the back match, but that area could be modified. If you wanted it to look professional in the back, cut it out big enough are to put in a snap in new piece that matches the ports and switch. That new piece could be made with a 3D printer.