IGNORED

Something else with a II in the title...

CyranoJ

Sorry about this.

On the ST the magic activation is scanned from the keyboard, not the joystick. I missed the ACIA de-bounce routine. Anyway, patched now. To 'emulate' keyboard de-bounce I have forced a 12 frame delay between magic activation (in case you decide to hold the button down)

Tested by holding C on levels 1-3, using potion on level 4, then going to level 5, collecting and using another potion.

gaunt2.rom

• Like 6

The C/Magic button is indeed a bit bugged as it only works once. I'm sure CJ will get that fixed in short order :)

It's been so long since I played the ST version. Correction…the original Gauntlet on the ST. How do you isolate the magic to a single player if it was accessed via the keyboard? Did they have 4 different keys so each player could use only their own magic?

My hats off to Cyranoj for making these St conversion. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can anyone confirm this I've made it to level 13 I had a delay when trying to use the potions I've collected, I couldn't use them back to back.

To 'emulate' keyboard de-bounce I have forced a 12 frame delay between magic activation (in case you decide to hold the button down)

I can reduce this time if it's too long.

I know of another "II" game… MIDI Maze 2. :)

The Jaguar and the Lynx both deserved to have MIDI Maze ports to them back in the day. I wonder if that ST wrapper could simulate MIDI over the JagLink networking. From what I remember, the Lynx's ComLynx port was either actually MIDI or was compatible with it.

• Like 1

It's not a problem to reduce this, but in what way does it affect gameplay? The only possible reason to spam magic I can think of would be to fight a dragon?

I haven't seen the Dragon yet. ;) I was surrounded by multiple deaths my button pressing had no response until it was too late. :-o

Edited by walter_J64bit

I haven't seen the Dragon yet. ;) I was surrounded by multiple deaths my button pressing had no response until it was too late. :-o

I don't remember a dragon in Gauntlet II. There's a giant dragon in the Quest Mode of Tengen's Gauntlet IV [Genesis/Mega Drive] and probably one in Tengen's Gauntlet on the NES.

The Jaguar and the Lynx both deserved to have MIDI Maze ports to them back in the day. I wonder if that ST wrapper could simulate MIDI over the JagLink networking. From what I remember, the Lynx's ComLynx port was either actually MIDI or was compatible with it.

Not really. It would need extra hardware to drive a single MIDI device, and it wouldn't work at all for MIDI Maze "as is", as it requires a "loop" network and separate input/output for each machine. The Lynx doesn't have that: all inputs and outputs from all consoles on the network are "mixed" with each other. It would require at least a rewrite of the networking code.

On the Jaguar it could be done for two players. For more than two players, you'd need either special cables, or a code rewrite. You'd need to work around the hardware UART bug too.

New version:

• Added splash screen with NOT FOR RESALE - PRIVATE USE ONLY
  • Increased sample playback rate by 16.6%
  • Decreased potion de-bounce to 8 vblanks

Think this one might be it for a while, got some other things to do.

gaunt2.rom

post-11520-0-60797700-1421048015_thumb.png

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 8

Ok this got me to drag my Jag out of the closest and also to unwrap my Team Tap which was only used once for a Barkley Jam game - or NBA Jam cant remember.

Looks, sounds, and plays just like the ST version I fondly remember!

I only have 1 problem which Im not sure if Im doing something wrong.

I have my pro controller in port 1 and my team tap in port 2. I have 2 joypads connected to the A & B port of the team tap however I can only start the first 2 players. I cannot join the 3rd (port B). I have moved the controllers between port A and B and both work in port A. I tried C&D with no luck either.

Am I missing something?

Ok this got me to drag my Jag out of the closest and also to unwrap my Team Tap which was only used once for a Barkley Jam game - or NBA Jam cant remember.

Looks, sounds, and plays just like the ST version I fondly remember!

I only have 1 problem which Im not sure if Im doing something wrong.

I have my pro controller in port 1 and my team tap in port 2. I have 2 joypads connected to the A & B port of the team tap however I can only start the first 2 players. I cannot join the 3rd (port B). I have moved the controllers between port A and B and both work in port A. I tried C&D with no luck either.

Am I missing something?

Plug the teamtap into port one and run all 4 controllers through there. Make sure it is plugged in when you boot up the game. It should work fine then.

Plug the teamtap into port one and run all 4 controllers through there. Make sure it is plugged in when you boot up the game. It should work fine then.

I can see why they did it, but it's not a very forward-looking decision to have people stick the TT into the 2nd joypad port for games with more than 2 players. It only makes sense if the max. possible players would ever be 5, but the device allows for 8 players with 2 TTs... once a game exists with 6 players or more, having players 2 to 5 on the 2nd TT and players 1, 6, 7 and 8 on the first isn't so tidy and would be an issue for the devs to make things seem more logical to the gamers.

It's likely a knock-on from SNES multitaps and Nintendo forcing devs to use the 2nd port for theirs (and never making or certifying a game with over 5 players, although d4s made one a while back with eight).

Ideally, a game that supports 1-5 players should continue the existing precedent set by the released titles bitd (lol, 2 games) and use the 2nd port for players 2, 3, 4 and a 5th, as that's what people would expect. If a game supports more than 5, the devs are obviously expecting a TT in each port and it's up to them to make things sensible and simple for the people sat holding the pads.

Edited by sh3-rg

Thanks for the tips - got my 3 player game running last night and it was awesome! Even when my kids were little I couldnt find much on the Jag to hold their interest, as teenagers with XBOX One forget it - they loved Gauntlet II with 3 players jamming through the levels. They cant wait to play again!

• Like 8

Ideally, a game that supports 1-5 players should continue the existing precedent set by the released titles bitd (lol, 2 games) and use the 2nd port for players 2, 3, 4 and a 5th, as that's what people would expect. If a game supports more than 5, the devs are obviously expecting a TT in each port and it's up to them to make things sensible and simple for the people sat holding the pads.

What you are saying is that I should patch Leatherneck, and add TeamTAP to Expressway, so that I can change *MY GODDAMNED WAY* to the default supported by the most games?

• Like 3

Not really. It would need extra hardware to drive a single MIDI device, and it wouldn't work at all for MIDI Maze "as is", as it requires a "loop" network and separate input/output for each machine. The Lynx doesn't have that: all inputs and outputs from all consoles on the network are "mixed" with each other. It would require at least a rewrite of the networking code.

On the Jaguar it could be done for two players. For more than two players, you'd need either special cables, or a code rewrite. You'd need to work around the hardware UART bug too.

FRAK! Thanks for the info, Zerosquare. :)

So much for the idea of hooking up a Lynx, a Jaguar, an ST, and an XEGS for MIDI Maze. Or Slime World.

Code rewrite. And it's not like the apparently brilliant networking code from Battlesphere will ever be shared.

• Like 1