IGNORED

THIS looks like the most promising NES clone system yet!

Interesting that he says it can play games like Castlevania 3 which other clones can't (3:08 mark). Wonder how they did that. I also wish he had SHOWN those games working on it, because other than that one variable it is just a retron 1 (which you can get for 19.99 on ebay) with better controllers.

Wonder if there will be commercials for these at the front of his vids sometime soon.

The best clones will always remain the early Micro Genius consoles, also sold in Russia under the name Dendy, and in Eastern Europe as TErminator II and Pegasus.

I say early because those consoles are still sold under the same name today, but they are cheap sad clones.

Why are they the best ones?

They are hardware clones. they use a clone of the Ricoh CPU, and clone of the NES PPU as well. I could never find tests of them playing CAstlevania III however.

The only reason Castlevania 3 doesn't work on most NOAC's is because of the exclusion of a 7404 Hex inverter that the original NES had. So I'd assume these are exactly the same as all the other $20 NOAC's out there except for the inclusion of a of a 7404 inverter.

Edited by thecrypticodor
  • Like 1

Well, the NASA console is PAL only, as are some of the Micro Genius systems. There are some Micro

Genius consoles that are Japanese, but I'd have use an adapter to play NES games. I'm just looking for a NES clone.

Not true about the NASA console. There are NTSC models. I grew up playing one and own one currently.

Not true about the NASA console. There are NTSC models. I grew up playing one and own one currently.

OK, cool! Is this the only NTSC model? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NASA-Nintendo-NES-RARE-CONSOLE-Complete-in-Box-/321604235108?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4ae11b2f64 If so, given the price, no thank you.

Edited by newataridave

Gamerz Tek's 8-bit E.S. looks nice, but the lack of support for flashcarts completely kills any interest I could have in it. I love the NES and its games, but the cartridges are rather big and building up a collection of NES games is not exactly enticing for someone with limited storage space like me. I could definately buy such an NES clone if I could buy a SD-card-based flashcart along with it, then I could play all the NES games I want without cramming my bedroom with NES carts.

This brings up an interesting question: How well do NES flashcarts support the different NES ROM mappers? I've never really investigated this before now...

Yes, that's the NTSC model. That one's priced high because it's apparently NIB.

With that said, it's still a relatively rare system to find, so it tends to sell for $70 - $100 for a used system.

Well that's not a bad price range; top loader NES consoles sell for more then that. I'm not a game collector, I just buy games that I enjoy playing. So I'm definitely not looking to build a complete NES game library.

So, from the review it looks like:

1) Definitely no flash cart support

2) Poor quality control for the controllers

3) Florid color

4) Less detail in the graphics (look at the texture in the white walls in Ninja Turtles and the top leaves in Contra)

5) Very low price

6) Supports more cartridges than competing units

I really had no idea it was so difficult to make a decent gamepad. It seems like every single cloned gamepad is poor-quality, except perhaps old ones from the 80s.

Edited by Justin222

Well thanks for the review! AFIK, the only perfect, in terms of compatibility, NES clone is the $500 one made by Analogue NT-but as much as I love NES games, there's no way I'm spending that much money. Honestly, I think I'll go with the top loader NES. It's Nintendo-built hardware, it's top-loading, and it's region-free. I know that the RF picture isn't the best, but I don't mind playing games in RF. I did see an AV-modded top loader on Ebay once, but the seller was asking about $200.00 for it, and again, that's more money then I want to spend.

Edited by newataridave

Why is it that the flashcarts seem to trip-up the clone consoles?

Because most modern clones are based on the most bare minimum spec to mostly run the platform, sometimes missing some pin or other connections, cutting every corner they can, same reason modern Genesis clones wont run 32x add-ons, they are just barely good enough to run the cartridges intended and every other feature or functionality stripped out to save on cost. THAT said very happy with my Super Retro Trio clone that not only supports NES / Snes / Genesis but works with all the Everdrives for those platforms as well, definitely one of the better clones.

• Like 1

Because most modern clones are based on the most bare minimum spec to mostly run the platform, sometimes missing some pin or other connections, cutting every corner they can, same reason modern Genesis clones wont run 32x add-ons, they are just barely good enough to run the cartridges intended and every other feature or functionality stripped out to save on cost. THAT said very happy with my Super Retro Trio clone that not only supports NES / Snes / Genesis but works with all the Everdrives for those platforms as well, definitely one of the better clones.

How's the Super Retro Trio for NES games? In terms of sound and picture quality?

How's the Super Retro Trio for NES games? In terms of sound and picture quality?

Quite good from the limited time I have had to check. :P There are plenty of impressions and reviews from those who have much more time to give it a proper thorough testing and review. Just Google or search on youtube Super Retro Trio, it's not perfect as modern clones tend to be but I am glad I chose it over the Retron 5. For example an good in depth 5 part series review by Satoshi Matrix :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCZg7MzvcY

The audio from the clone Gamester81 reviewed sounded a bit off, as if the mixing levels for the sound channels was quite a bit off from the real NES.

Also, the Analogue Nt is using Nintendo CPU and PPU chips, the rest of the system is standard parts and a NESRGB.

Edited by Great Hierophant

Well thanks for the review! AFIK, the only perfect, in terms of compatibility, NES clone is the $500 one made by Analogue NT-but as much as I love NES games, there's no way I'm spending that much money. Honestly, I think I'll go with the top loader NES. It's Nintendo-built hardware, it's top-loading, and it's region-free. I know that the RF picture isn't the best, but I don't mind playing games in RF. I did see an AV-modded top loader on Ebay once, but the seller was asking about $200.00 for it, and again, that's more money then I want to spend.

$600 with two controllers.

• 8 months later...

Hi there! This is my first post.

I also bought this console from eBay for 16.65$ (with shipping), while the NES original system is around $75+. It is true that it is a very nice clone.

Some flaws:

1) Not the best picture quality.

2) In one of the controls, when you press down sometimes it is not working. The second one is not perfect as well.

3) You never know if it will play your games! This is the worst. For example (because some of you are wondering), it plays my Castlevania III game BUT it is NOT playing Metroid (I have the first and not the second edition, I don't know if it plays the second one). Also, it will play the first edition of Mario Bros 2, but not the second one.

4)* Will it last?

The list of my games that the clone plays:

1) Zelda I

2) Zelda II

3) Castlevania II

4) Castlevania III

5) Tetris

6) Super Mario Bros

I am waiting for Super Mario Bros 3 and Final Fantasy (just bought them from eBay) and I will let you know. The info about Super Mario Bros 2 I got it from the seller of the console. He had in the listing "plays 97% of the NES games", and so, it is some kind of lottery if the console will play your games.

I have a European NES back in Europe and I wanted something cheap to play some gems from the past here in US that it is easier to find games with 10-20$ on eBay. To tell you the truth I fell extremely sad that I cannot play Metroid. But I guess since it plays all the rest, it is "OK". So, if you have 3-4 games from the past and you are not a simulator-type gamer, give it a try...

All the best.

Edited by Hannibalmath