IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

McWill, I just want to throw this out there... okay.

Forgive me guys as I know it's an Atari forum, but..

McWill, do you have access to Sega Game Gear?

That one is in the same desperate need of this mod.

I can't imagine you wouldn't find sales on some forum if you crack that one.

If your taking orders I will see if I can pitch in for some.

I already made tests with the Sega Game Gear, but it's long time ago!

The solution is very close! I inform you, if any news.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say thanks and WOW! Got mine today, fitted it very easily and I am blown away at the quality of the PCB, the assembly and board design in general. Nice that it just screws into the 4 existing mounts, and it is EXACTLY the right size. Very very impressed! I will upload the video later. Thanks!!! You've done a fantastic job on this LCD screen! If you do one for the GameGear one day, I will be buying one of those as well :)

I presume its not native interms of pixels, I am guessing you used a 320 x 240 and used 2 pixels wide 2 pixels height with a border of 9 at top and bottom? Just curious!

10/10

• Like 1

I already made tests with the Sega Game Gear, but it's long time ago!

The solution is very close! I inform you, if any news.

Is it similar to the existing Game Gear mod? That one looks good too. I only have a modded Nomad and Turbo Express and was on the fence about getting the Game Gear one. Frankly, I'd love to get a modded Lynx well before a modded Game Gear.

Just wanted to say thanks and WOW! Got mine today, fitted it very easily and I am blown away at the quality of the PCB, the assembly and board design in general. Nice that it just screws into the 4 existing mounts, and it is EXACTLY the right size. Very very impressed! I will upload the video later. Thanks!!! You've done a fantastic job on this LCD screen! If you do one for the GameGear one day, I will be buying one of those as well :)

I presume its not native interms of pixels, I am guessing you used a 320 x 240 and used 2 pixels wide 2 pixels height with a border of 9 at top and bottom? Just curious!

10/10

Oi gadg,

I'm sure I ordered mine before you!!

Love your excitement and I can't wait!!

• Like 1

Is it similar to the existing Game Gear mod? That one looks good too. I only have a modded Nomad and Turbo Express and was on the fence about getting the Game Gear one. Frankly, I'd love to get a modded Lynx well before a modded Game Gear.

Existing GG mod? I know about the l.e.d mod..

Hi,

Just wanted to use my first post to praise the screens: I installed one on my Lynx II today, and it's more than worth it. The instructions that come with it are clear and to the point. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, it installs in about an hour and the difference is to die for.

Hopefully, the same will become possible for model I !

flip

• Like 1

No, because the existing GG mod is an analog circuit. I will try to do this digital. Clear picture and better contrast. But it should be easy to install, like my LYNX-II mod.

Oh man, I can't describe how annoying that I am financially broke right now when the mod of the year (or rather decade) is out. It looks amazing, it's everything that I have been waiting for like years now, it's here and I just can't buy it. McWill you definitely have to do a second run I am 100% sure as rumours spread and more people will know about this mod they will want to buy this kit too. As soon as I will be in a better situation (by late spring / summer hopefully) I will buy two kits, so me and my brother can play in multiplayer on our beloved Lynxes (provided you will have these kits by that time).

• Like 1

Well, he tried to repair them, but he failed. In some of them he replaced the voltage regulator, some of them are missing the CPU/GPU and so on. There were 3 cases in the lot. I hope to get at least 3 boards to run again. Unfortunately i don't have spare time till march or so...

Fitted the LCD replacement to a broken Lynx I have today, now works great and display is wonderful, so much nicer than the original one. Have fitted the VGA connector but not had chance to play on a big screen yet.

The circuit board seem well made, lot nicer than those early pics McWill posted. Very minor quibble but would have been nice to have some kind of brightness adjustment, if playing in a dark room it could go a bit lower. Also might see if I can find a differnt VGA connector thats black as the white one stands out a little.

Probably order another one now :-)

Hey Radfoo. Did you really fit the LCD in a Lynx I (one). Do you have the right Pinout for this? McWill mentioned the LCD wouldn't work in a Lynx 1. I would love mor information about this ;)

One more thing that will be interesting is how this new screen will affect the battery life? Will it increase (because of the efficient led backlight) or is there any energy loss because of some kind of conversion ( sorry if it's a noob theory, unfortunately I am quite bad in electronics) ? Would be great if some of you guys who has this screen mod could test it, I know with 2100 mAh Eneloop batteries my Lynx goes for 5-6 hours.