IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

On 4/23/2020 at 9:15 PM, marcelhartman said:

I installed a new screen to my Lynx I with a C104193-001 rev.B board. Check all the wiring and seems to be fine, but i got a static screen and you can here the game playing 

IMG_1599.jpg

(not my actual image, just an example)

Strangly enough i found a topic that had to do with the TPR bridge on the MCWill board and soldered the bridge. The screen turn on fine and seems to be working. But... the picture is upsidedown.... ?Does anybody got a clue what went wrong?

bdeb34aeefb95c615ebd30a2d6d9dfc4.jpg

Please check if you've installed a LYNX-I mod kit! I guess you used a LYNX-II mod kit. The firmware is different ?

On 5/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, McWill said:

Please check if you've installed a LYNX-I mod kit! I guess you used a LYNX-II mod kit. The firmware is different ?

Hello McWill,

I have exactly the same issue, I bought a Lynx II screen and as my Lynx II didn't manage to get the proper voltage for the screen, I decided to put it in my Lynx I... Now I also have an upside down image. And I just found out your answer... too late I guess !

Is it possible to make our screen work without having to reinstall it upside down ?

Thanks for your precious help !

• 3 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 11:24 PM, Sarigane said:

Hello McWill,

I have exactly the same issue, I bought a Lynx II screen and as my Lynx II didn't manage to get the proper voltage for the screen, I decided to put it in my Lynx I... Now I also have an upside down image. And I just found out your answer... too late I guess !

Is it possible to make our screen work without having to reinstall it upside down ?

Thanks for your precious help !

The LYNX-I mod kits are only for the LYNX-I and the LYNX-II mod kits are only for the LYNX-II ? You can see white stickers on the PCB and LCD ribbon of the LYNX-I mod kit. Otherwise it is a LYNX-II mod kit!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I got a Lynx I from eBay for spares and repair, with a damaged McWill Kit.

On the LCD board is missing the voltage regulator, but no problem, I have spares.

But a big problem is one missing cap right beside of the regulator near the connector for the ribbon cable. Anyone knows the correct capacity?

And even a bigger problem, is that the part below the regulator is shorted but I can not find anything if I search for "BOXAA" as is printed on it.

Would be great if anyone could help me, so I can repair the board hopefully. Maybe if McWill is reading this??

Two photos attached.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20220417_191544.jpg

IMG_20220417_191527.jpg

• 4 months later...

I guess someone caused a short circuit to the LYNX when this mod kits was installed. Perhaps the 5-Volt mod wasn't done. So a faulty diode damaged the LYNX mod kit. 

The main IC was broken, not the voltage regulator or something else.

This board needs to be repaired with a new programmed main IC. 

Edited by McWill

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Just picked up a V2 Lynx II screen from Retomoding installed and no backlight you can see a faint image on the LCD. I installed a V1 that I have and it works fine in the system.

I also connected a spare LCD “LQ035NC111” to the V2 board and still no backlight with the faint image. I have a 5v regulator installed the current input voltage is 4.93 if that helps.

Any Ideas? 

8741D6B2-DEB6-4B8C-A0E4-7C401B0EE0FE.jpeg

5F746D92-EBE0-425A-989A-B8012EE8D4B6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tzibu said:

I have the same kind of problem. Did you solder those silver pads or the copper ones under them? 
Did it also fix the problem with backlight button? It doesn't work with me.

Well it seems that I had REV2.1 guide for REV3 board. Did everything that REV3 guide wanted and now it has backlight, but it's all white now.

1 hour ago, Tzibu said:

Well it seems that I had REV2.1 guide for REV3 board. Did everything that REV3 guide wanted and now it has backlight, but it's all white now.

Yeah the ribbon cable of screen was broken because of the battery "hold" screw. 
Changed the tft and now it works. EXCEPT!
Backlight button doesn't change screen modes. 

Edited by Tzibu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, ErroneousHyphen said:

Is there anywhere currently to get these for a Lynx 2? I noticed console5 is out of stock.  Im located in Australia, if anyone can assist :)

Hello there, and welcome to the forums =]

I can't answer your question, but in case you didn't know, the BennVenn IPS LCD supports VGA-out as well.

This shop happens to ship it from Australia: https://k-retro.com/atari-lynx-lcd-mod-and-vga-kits/32-112-bennvenn-ips-lcd-mod-kit-lynx-2.html#/12-lcd_kit_extras-add_protection_zener_diode

However, the documentation for the VGA-out wiring doesn't seem to be very accessible.

I would recommend asking on the BennVenn's discord before actually purchasing one, link at the bottom of this page: https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/

Cheers.

Edited by xhul

• 6 months later...

I bought one of McWill's LCD-kits for my LYNX II several years ago and he also installed it. Everything worked like a charm until the beginning of this month. All I get now is a screen full of pixels. I already changed the batteries and the cartridge several times - no change. Does anyone know how to contact McWill? I would like to send my LYNX II to him to have this issue fixed. Unfortunately I cannot sent him any personal messages???

Or does anyone know a possibility where to have a LYNX repaired in Germany?