IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Lode Runner!

Very cool, thanks for the pics! So I have been thinking, and wondering how you guys see it. Does the crystal clear picture and vibrant colors take anything away from the games? Now obviously this mod is a must have, and makes many games more pleasant to play, but I was noticing how vibrant the EOTB colors were and realized it took some of the "foreboding" feel of the game away. What do you think?

Lode Runner!

Now that looks FANTASTIC!!! I really need to get me this on cart!!!

Very cool, thanks for the pics! So I have been thinking, and wondering how you guys see it. Does the crystal clear picture and vibrant colors take anything away from the games? Now obviously this mod is a must have, and makes many games more pleasant to play, but I was noticing how vibrant the EOTB colors were and realized it took some of the "foreboding" feel of the game away. What do you think?

I can't answer that until i get the mod done, however, if it does take anything away from it, i'll just play it on one of my other 7 Lynx's :-D

Just sent my payment as well! I'm going to build a mini-arcade Lynx. My goal is to let the Lynx dock to it, having a separate plug for controller input and, of course, VGA. I've already sketched out my arcade controller schematics that will "rotate" the joystick for vertical games. Now I just need to figure out the rest of it. :D I'm looking forward to breathing new life into my Lynx!

@travistouchdown: Check out some of Dell's monitors. I know the one I use at work can rotate 90-degrees. It also moves up and down. It's a Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24in. A quick check shows some of the stands on ebay for under $30.

• Like 2

Looks like I'd need to get caught up on a few games I don't have that actually looks good with the LCD mod. I am only short 2 very rare commercial Lynx games (Desert Strikes and Super Off Road) plus a few common games and some later/homemade games. I do have Eric's EotB (second hand, not original owner)

Lynxolopy and Lode Runner, maybe Zaku... what else is/are must-get?

Has anyone seen a monitor stand out there where you can rotate the monitor 90 degrees?

Unfortunately i haven't on smaller monitors - only large one with stands (used to do this with Raiden Fighters Aces on the Japanese 360 - twas AWESOME)! Would love to find a small monitor that could do that though - to see how Gauntlet goes but definitely for KLAX!

I received mine yesterday and got it installed. I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW GOOD THIS LOOKS. Pictures and videos simply do not do this justice. I am extremely impressed and pleased with this screen. McWill did an absolutely fantastic job all around.

I always thought the scanlines of the original screen added detail and made the graphics look a little better than they actually were, so I was a little concerned that using a cleaner LCD screen would make the graphics look a little less detailed. I could not have been more wrong. The lines in the original screen were actually detracting from the detailed graphics of the Lynx. The games look so much more clear, detailed, and overall impressive now. It's 16-bit-ness really shines with this screen.

One final note: At first I thought my VGA output wasn't working. I checked, double checked, triple checked, and yes, quadruple checked all my connections and still got nothing on my VGA monitor. Then finally, it occurred to me to try pressing the "Backlight" button of the Lynx to turn off the Lynx screen and bingo... nice VGA output. DUH! I wanted mention that in case anyone else has a moment of stupidity like I did.

• Like 2

42BS! It has really been a while since we heard from you ;)

All kind of "tiny" things I have never noticed before suddenly pop up and become crystal clear. The Lynx really feels more like a 16 bit platform now. I played Alpine Games on it two days ago. The figure skating lady is so nicely animated on the new LCD.

Cheers,

Karri

42BS! It has really been a while since we heard from you ;)

All kind of "tiny" things I have never noticed before suddenly pop up and become crystal clear. The Lynx really feels more like a 16 bit platform now. I played Alpine Games on it two days ago. The figure skating lady is so nicely animated on the new LCD.

Cheers,

Karri

Hi Karri,

yes, true. Getting payed programming in assembly pulled me away from hacking the Lynx. But a (buggy) report in RetroGamer mag (German) reminded me of the fun it made :-)

Hi Karri,

yes, true. Getting payed programming in assembly pulled me away from hacking the Lynx. But a (buggy) report in RetroGamer mag (German) reminded me of the fun it made :-)

Hi Bastian,

I plan to attend the www.amiga30.eu event in Amsterdam at 27th of June. If you drop in we could have a cup of tea ;)

Edited by karri