IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

i finished installing my first one of these (without the video out port) last night, i am undecided if i need or can be bothered putting in this port after all it is a hand held. that said, i will need to do this at some stage as the one i got for my friend will need to go in as he wants this feature.

making a few observations i think it would be better to offset the socket towards the back or front as the board is in the way.

all in all i am impressed with the results :thumbsup:

just wondering though, is there any points on the new lcd that the brightness can be adjusted with? its a tad bright to what i have it set to on other devices?

Okay, so just finished installing this.

1. SO AWESOME. No SERIOUSLY. Do it, do it now.

2. I would recommend the IDC cabling option for the LCD to Lynx connections. Makes it much easier and a little neater.

3. I was 50/50 on the VGA connection, but did it anyway. It looks good and works amazingly. I would recommend going with a black plug if you can get it, as it looks a little more built in.

4. DEFINITELY only cut the side of the Lynx without the lettering on it. for the VGA plug, it is easier, ends up being more flush and nice-looking. Thankfully, I had a dead Lynx I could experiment on before hand.

5. The solder work is easy. Took me a little longer than I wanted since I misquote the IDC cable and made it too short. I sued the Ethernet cable trick for the VGA wiring and some electrical tape to put them together after I was done. BTW: You should just solder pins 6-7-8 together with one wire coming out of pin 7. The instructions imply that you should connect 8 wires to the VGA jack and that is not the case.

6. Remember that you need to connect the backlight pin on the mod to pin 2 on the chip itself, *not* the test point on the motherboard that is connected by two traces.

All in all an AMAZING mod with pretty decent install.

Edited by MacRorie

i finished installing my first one of these (without the video out port) last night, i am undecided if i need or can be bothered putting in this port after all it is a hand held. that said, i will need to do this at some stage as the one i got for my friend will need to go in as he wants this feature.

making a few observations i think it would be better to offset the socket towards the back or front as the board is in the way.

all in all i am impressed with the results :thumbsup:

just wondering though, is there any points on the new lcd that the brightness can be adjusted with? its a tad bright to what i have it set to on other devices?

The brightness is not adjustable.

5. The solder work is easy. Took me a little longer than I wanted since I misquote the IDC cable and made it too short. I sued the Ethernet cable trick for the VGA wiring and some electrical tape to put them together after I was done. BTW: You should just solder pins 6-7-8 together with one wire coming out of pin 7. The instructions imply that you should connect 8 wires to the VGA jack and that is not the case.

Thanks a lot for info. I'll change the instructions. Indeed there are only 6 wires needed, when PIN 6, PIN 7 and PIN 8 connected together.

Well, encouraged by the braves that did the mod themselves I also ventured into an evening (and night) of cutting wires, soldering and a lot of trembling.

The end results is what everyone has said it to be: awesome, amazing, unbelievable. More awesomeness and then some. You have to see it to believe it. I will do a blog post with all details later, but here are my observations, tips and regrets:

• Good instructions
  • Excellent quality of the mod
  • I chose those colored ribbons to avoid loose wires. Turned out very clean and I am very happy with the end result (and I am one OCD perfectionist)
  • Going for an external cable for the VGA connector. I used the supplied loose connector, but will probably switch to a female VGA connector with attached cables and cut of the other end, and wire that to the LCD mod. I have it sticking out of the battery compartment for now, but I think it will fit through the hole that the brightness control left.
  • I almost tore off one of the cables in the 9-cable ribbon while removing the plastic to expose the metal wire. Next time I will put tape on it first, so it stays together better.
  • The VGA output is magnificent. It will help a lot during development. I even decided to continue work on Hack Slash Loot, which has been dormant for a few months.
  • Like 2

And some more:

post-27403-0-82895800-1425331984_thumb.jpg

post-27403-0-21543300-1425332181_thumb.jpg

post-27403-0-28027100-1425332206_thumb.jpg

The VGA out to a screen is amazing.

Zoom in on the second one (with Dirty Larry). You'll see the individual pixels of the LCD panel. 2x2 per Lynx pixel.

Did I mention that the VGA out is unbelievably amazing?

Edited by LX.NET
  • Like 3

Someone should mod a couple of them to put up on eBay! Start the trend of reaping them up and fixing them..

Mine mod kit has been in the air for a couple of days now and is about to land here in the arctic (or so it seems, with all the snow we've been getting :P )!

WOOOHOOOOO!! :-D

• Like 1

It's a shame some hi colour stuff doesn't work. I know Karri said he had a band going down the screen on one game (Alpine?), and I've tested several other games and seen what others have said - you get major flicking identical to emulator behaviour. For the few title screens etc this affects it's not the end of the world. Someone on another thread claimed that their high colour stuff worked on 2 of these new screens - that's not possible with McWills current implementation. I wonder if it looks any better on VGA out on an old CRT?

Someone on another thread claimed that their high colour stuff worked on 2 of these new screens - that's not possible with McWills current implementation. I wonder if it looks any better on VGA out on an old CRT?

That someone was matashen, and he should know if the high color screen in his own game works with the new LCD.^^

I don't understand how he has the only 2 Lynxes that don't have flicker using McWills new LCD?!? Especially since McWill already said he hasn't addressed what would be a known issue - ie. Due to the fact the refresh rate is high on modern LCD and there's no 'fall off' time associate with pixel illumination, its a technical impossibility that it just happens to work on 2 Lynxes. I would love to see a video of it working on McWills current screen! Maybe there are some screens out there with a slow refresh rate or something?!?! Don't get me wrong, I can live with the issues, but I don't understand how he can claim there's not an issue with major flicker on hi colour.

Edited by GadgetUK

That someone was matashen, and he should know if the high color screen in his own game works with the new LCD.^^

It certainly doesn't on mine, and on 3 other peoples that I know have checked. I have the game, I've tested it, and it behaves just as the others do. The same thing can be seen on Alpine Games, and many of the slide show ROMs. It's not a big deal, I just don't like inaccurate information - leading people into thinking something will work with hi colour is not a good thing to do. If it works on 2 out of say 100 systems, then it would be accurate to say that it works on 2% of screens.

Edited by GadgetUK

I'll certainly leave that to him to explain. Why would I doubt a guy I know and trust, who has tested the new LCD with several games and homebrews, with varying results?

Nobody claimed "Hi Color works with the Lynx LCD" anyway. All he said was that he experienced no troubles with Lynxopoly specifically, but with some other games. Which in itself is already the statement that it can work, but no guarantees.

Edited by 108 Stars

I have no doubt that you trust him. It just doesn't make sense that he would just happen to have 2 of these screens that miraculously work on the title screen properly with McWills LCD screens. Sure they display, but not correctly from the evidence seen so far. It really isn't a big deal (It's just a title screen FFS), and I didn't mention his name because the last thing I want to do is argue with people. If I am wrong, I can eat humble pie - I don't mind. My original post there was not at 'attack' on his game or anything, it was simply knowlege that someone should know when purchasing one of these new screens - It's a great game and should be bought by all collectors, even those with the new LCD screen (hence why I own, play and love Lynxopoly). As I said, I can live with the issue of hi colour on these screens, but I can't sit by when someone says something which I believe is wrong.

Edited by GadgetUK

I am not discussing what your intention is, I am saying nobody ever said high color worked flawlessly with the screen. All that was said is that a single screen did work for him.

Implying someone lied about him having no problems with one game that offers the feature is completely unneccessary.

It was already public and I tried to avoid pointing to someone etc, I just re-itterated what is fact. You brought his name into this thread and blew it all up, maybe you shouldn't have, or maybe you should have spoken to him first. There's not a lot more to say here.