IGNORED

xdt99: New TI 99 cross-development tools available

ralphb

One thing to add to post #71 regarding WinAsm99 (also called Asm994a) is that, for labels on lines by themselves followed by a labeled instruction/directive, EVEN is always generated by the assembler, regardless of the byte or word nature of the next directive/instruction.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

It is my impression that WinAsm99 has been the de facto standard for several years, perhaps more important to ensure backwards compatibility with that than the old E/A? But there's no reason it shouldn't be possible to support both using a switch. WinAsm99 has quite a few bugs, but the ability to place several labels after each other and trust that they all point to the same address is not one of them, but a nice feature.

Disregarding the even/odd issue, if you place two labels after each other before a correctly aligned word, will xas99 and E/A also assign different addresses to those?

One thing to add to post #71 regarding WinAsm99 (also called Asm994a) is that, for labels on lines by themselves, EVEN is always generated by the assembler, regardless of the byte or word nature of the next directive/instruction.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but wouldn't this imply that

BYTE 1
L
   BYTE 2

and

BYTE 1
L BYTE 2

produce different results?! Now that would be unexpected ...

It is my impression that WinAsm99 has been the de facto standard for several years, perhaps more important to ensure backwards compatibility with that than the old E/A? But there's no reason it shouldn't be possible to support both using a switch. WinAsm99 has quite a few bugs, but the ability to place several labels after each other and trust that they all point to the same address is not one of them, but a nice feature.

Disregarding the even/odd issue, if you place two labels after each other before a correctly aligned word, will xas99 and E/A also assign different addresses to those?

I can answer my own question because I finally got Bouncy up and running with xas99 and it turns out it was an issue of misunderstanding how the conditional assembly works rather than a problem with the labels. The odd/even thing was a red herring for this project. Two labels in front of a word do get the same values under normal circumstances.

Yes, then those will have the same value -- automatic word-alignment is the only case I can think of right now where this would differ.

Also note this case here:

MSG   TEXT 'HELLO'
MSGE
      CLR  R0
      LI   R1,MSG
      LI   R2,MSGE-MSG
      BLWP @VMBW

This seems quite reasonable code to me, but it requires that MSGE truly points to the end of the string, and not some potential padding character.

It is my impression that WinAsm99 has been the de facto standard for several years, perhaps more important to ensure backwards compatibility with that than the old E/A?

That's a reasonable (and strong) argument in favor of Winasm, even though I personally think that the design is worse -- see my previous examples about EQU and strings).

But just how common is this case anyway? How many explicit EVEN statements would you have to insert for your games?

I can answer my own question because I finally got Bouncy up and running with xas99 and it turns out it was an issue of misunderstanding how the conditional assembly works rather than a problem with the labels. The odd/even thing was a red herring for this project. Two labels in front of a word do get the same values under normal circumstances.

Oh, I wrote my previous reply in parallel to your post, so I'm glad that it worked out for you.

Please note that I truly appreciate all of your feedback (including Lee and all others), since you all have much more experience in writing actual assembly programs than I do. So your input on matters of practicality really matter.

Regarding the multi-label-even-odd-thing: Maybe I'll add a switch (or #pragma) if it simplifies things ...

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but wouldn't this imply that

BYTE 1
L
   BYTE 2

and

BYTE 1
L BYTE 2

produce different results?! Now that would be unexpected ...

I misspoke! :dunce: Your two examples do, indeed, produce the same, odd-labeled code. However, if the first example also has a label in front of the second statement, the EVEN directive is auto-generated to force both labels to the same, even address:

Asm994a TMS99000 Assembler - v3.010
1 0000 01 BYTE 1
2 L1
3 0001 0000 EVEN *>>> Assembler Auto-Generated <<<
4 0002 02 L2 BYTE 2
5 0003 0000 END
Assembly Complete - Errors: 0, Warnings: 0
------ Symbol Listing ------
L1 REL:0002 L1
L2 REL:0002 L2

...lee

I misspoke! :dunce: Your two examples do, indeed, produce the same, odd-labeled code. However, if the first example also has a label in front of the second statement, the EVEN directive is auto-generated to force both labels to the same, even address:

OK, I see, but that isn't better. Now

BYTE 1
L1
L2 BYTE 2

and

BYTE 1
  BYTE 2

will produce different code ... :-o

Alright, let's see if we can bump this thread to your thread's length ... I'll be here all night ... :-D

EDIT: On second thought, Winasm probably isn't really generating an EVEN, right? It merely adjusts the label value, I assume ... But then how do you refer to an odd address?!

Edited by ralphb

OK, I see, but that isn't better. Now

BYTE 1
L1
L2 BYTE 2

and

BYTE 1
  BYTE 2

will produce different code ... :-o

Yup.

Alright, let's see if we can bump this thread to your thread's length ... I'll be here all night ... :-D

Well, that is two and a half years of rambling!

EDIT: On second thought, Winasm probably isn't really generating an EVEN, right? It merely adjusts the label value, I assume ... But then how do you refer to an odd address?!

I would say that it is. Look at line #3 of the listing in my last post.

The only way to get WinAsm to let you keep the odd label, when the next instruction/directive demands (according to WinAsm) an even address, is to interpose a BYTE directive (or similarly byte-oriented directive). Your example of needing to point to the byte immediately following a TEXT directive is the best reason I see for your argument that WinAsm should not be messing with labels not on instruction/directive lines.

...lee

I'm a bit late to the party, but the automatic alignment in Win99Asm actually caused me grief and was a feature I did not like. So glad to see it go. When it matters you're supposed to use EVEN yourself. :)

I'll have to try this new toolchain when I get a chance!

• Like 2

Me too (have to try it out).

So even if a label should compile to where you set it (byte oriented), assembler program instructions (or is it a subset) should only compile to word boundaries or at least give a warning ?

;)

The following paragraph first appears in the E/A Manual, SECTION 6: “ARITHMETIC INSTRUCTIONS”, p. 79, and is included in every section describing CPU instructions:
Use of the label field is optional. When it is used, the label is assigned the address of the instruction. The Assembler advances to the location of a word boundary (even address) before assembling a machine instruction.
Also, here is what appears in §14.1.6 “Word Boundary--EVEN”, p. 214:
Application notes:
The EVEN directive ensures that the program is at an even word boundary when a statement that consists of only a label is preceded by a TEXT or BYTE directive and is followed by a DATA directive or a machine instruction. In this case, the label does not have the same value as a label in the following instruction unless the TEXT or BYTE directive left the Location Counter on an even (word) location.
Using an EVEN directive before or after a machine instruction or a DATA directive is redundant since the Assembler automatically advances the Location Counter to an even address when it processes a machine instruction or a DATA directive.
I don't believe the TI Assembler issues any warning when it moves the LC. And, as @ralphb mentioned somewhere above, the E/A Manual is flat out wrong in its description of the EVEN directive where it says that a label in the label field of the EVEN directive is assigned the value of the LC before the LC is advanced to a word boundary. The TI Assembler actually advances the LC before assigning its value to the label.
...lee

I have now officially switched over to xas99.

I'll have to try this new toolchain when I get a chance!

Thanks! Knowing that the Top Bananas actually use xas99 makes me just a little bit scared. :)

(Well, "top banana" was one of first English colloquialisms we learned in middle school ... I wonder if a single native speaker had ever used it. :) )

• Like 2

Thanks! Knowing that the Top Bananas actually use xas99 makes me just a little bit scared. :)

(Well, "top banana" was one of first English colloquialisms we learned in middle school ... I wonder if a single native speaker had ever used it. :) )

Though the colloquialism seems to have originated in 1950s British burlesque, it’s use has certainly been widespread on this side of the pond. I have used it quite a bit over my 72 years on this planet! Also, “second banana”.

Re your xas99, @ralphb, this second banana will definitely be giving it a spin—perhaps, for my next build of the fbForth 2.0 cartridge.

...lee

• Like 1

what is the maximum number of labels xas99 will permit? WinAsm99 choked when I got to about 3000 labels.

Well, there's no particular upper bound on anything (err, although I think I capped the number of nested COPYs/macros to 100 or something like that in order to prevent accidental endless recursion).

I'm not particular economical about memory; for example, I read the entire source code into memory before doing anything. This would be a no-go for any current compiler, but I figured that the output could hardly exceed a couple dozen kilobytes on the TI 99, which any PC should be able to handle.

Speed is another matter, but it will take some large assembly project to really stress-test xas99 for the first time.

Don't forget me! I also use it! :)

I'm not so much a top banana though, more like the end of the banana - little bit rotten, little bit useless etc

cheers

Daryn

• Like 1

I've added support for XORG and banked memory. It's not part of the release ZIP file yet, so just grab the updated xas99 file directly and have a look at the updated manual.

The XORG directive changes the LC without affecting the placement of the code so that the segment can be copied verbatim to a different location and run:
     AORG >6000
L1   DATA 0
     MOV  @L1,@L2  ; moves >6000 to >8380
     BL   @FUNC    ; branches to >8382

A1   XORG >8380
L2   DATA 0
FUNC A    @L2,@L1  ; adds >8380 to >6000
     RT

This required some thought to shoehorn the result into the tagged object code format, and I hope I got it right.

Banked memory is handled by the AORG directive, which now has an additional argument, indicating the bank.
     AORG >6000,0
L1   B    @L3        ; OK
     B    @L2        ; error: different bank

AORG >6000,1
L2   B    @L3        ; OK
     B    @L1        ; error: different bank

AORG >A000
L3   B    @L1        ; OK, needs correct bank
     B    @L2        ; OK, needs correct bank

xas99 checks for invalid cross-bank accesses, but it cannot check whether the right bank is active when accessing a given address.
The new -b generation option (for "raw binary") yields the plain binary result of the assembly without any metadata, one file per segment and bank. This is intended for putting the result into EPROMs and such.
The new SAVE directive controls which memory areas to save, similar to the SFIRST/SLAST symbols of the original SAVE utility. Empty areas will be padded with >00. Example:
    SAVE >A000,>A010   ; save >A000, ..., >A00F
    RORG >0004
    DATA >1234
    AORG >A008
    DATA >5678

yields a single file savesample_a000.bin with contents

00 00 00 00 12 34 00 00 56 78 00 00 00 00 00 00

when assembled with

xas99.py -b savesample.a99 --base ">a000"

Thanks to Rasmus and Willsy for their suggestions about these new features! If I got it wrong just let me know on how to improve it.
Cheers, Ralph (Top Potato)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still getting assertion error with the IDEA plugin.

(36,37), text:  , language = Language: Xas99: (36,37), text:  , language = Language: Xas99
java.lang.AssertionError: (36,37), text:  , language = Language: Xas99
	at com.intellij.lang.folding.FoldingDescriptor.<init>(FoldingDescriptor.java:97)
	at com.intellij.lang.folding.FoldingDescriptor.<init>(FoldingDescriptor.java:78)
	at com.intellij.lang.folding.FoldingDescriptor.<init>(FoldingDescriptor.java:63)
	at com.intellij.lang.folding.FoldingDescriptor.<init>(FoldingDescriptor.java:55)
	at net.endlos.xdt99.xas99.Xas99FoldingBuilder.buildFoldRegions(Xas99FoldingBuilder.java:28)
	at com.intellij.lang.folding.LanguageFolding.buildFoldingDescriptors(LanguageFolding.java:83)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.FoldingUpdate.a(FoldingUpdate.java:205)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.FoldingUpdate.a(FoldingUpdate.java:118)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.FoldingUpdate.access$000(FoldingUpdate.java:52)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.FoldingUpdate$2.compute(FoldingUpdate.java:104)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.FoldingUpdate$2.compute(FoldingUpdate.java:99)
	at com.intellij.psi.impl.PsiParameterizedCachedValue.doCompute(PsiParameterizedCachedValue.java:53)
	at com.intellij.util.CachedValueBase.getValueWithLock(CachedValueBase.java:199)
	at com.intellij.psi.impl.PsiParameterizedCachedValue.getValue(PsiParameterizedCachedValue.java:43)
	at com.intellij.psi.util.CachedValuesManager.getParameterizedCachedValue(CachedValuesManager.java:77)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.FoldingUpdate.updateFoldRegions(FoldingUpdate.java:98)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.CodeFoldingManagerImpl.a(CodeFoldingManagerImpl.java:303)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.folding.impl.CodeFoldingManagerImpl.updateFoldRegionsAsync(CodeFoldingManagerImpl.java:295)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.daemon.impl.CodeFoldingPass.doCollectInformation(CodeFoldingPass.java:46)
	at com.intellij.codeHighlighting.TextEditorHighlightingPass.collectInformation(TextEditorHighlightingPass.java:62)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.daemon.impl.PassExecutorService$ScheduledPass$1$1.run(PassExecutorService.java:380)
	at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.ApplicationImpl.tryRunReadAction(ApplicationImpl.java:1154)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.daemon.impl.PassExecutorService$ScheduledPass$1.run(PassExecutorService.java:371)
	at com.intellij.openapi.progress.ProgressManager.executeProcessUnderProgress(ProgressManager.java:209)
	at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.ProgressManagerImpl.executeProcessUnderProgress(ProgressManagerImpl.java:212)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.daemon.impl.PassExecutorService$ScheduledPass.a(PassExecutorService.java:368)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.daemon.impl.PassExecutorService$ScheduledPass.run(PassExecutorService.java:344)
	at com.intellij.concurrency.JobLauncherImpl$VoidForkJoinTask.exec(JobLauncherImpl.java:193)
	at jsr166e.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)
	at jsr166e.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:858)
	at jsr166e.ForkJoinPool.scan(ForkJoinPool.java:1687)
	at jsr166e.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1642)
	at jsr166e.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:109)

To reproduce this all I need to do is to create two comments with a line between, then add a space to the empty line:

* a

* b 

Now each time I click in the text I get the error.

Thanks for your help,

Rasmus

I'm still getting assertion error with the IDEA plugin.

(36,37), text:  , language = Language: Xas99: (36,37), text:  , language = Language: Xas99
java.lang.AssertionError: (36,37), text:  , language = Language: Xas99* 

Thanks again for the report! I can reproduce this, but only with IDEA 13, IDEA 14 is fine. BTW, the TAB key should also be broken in IDEA 13 -- can you confirm this, or did you disable the TAB action somehow as a workaround?

I finally may have to release separate versions for IDEA 13 and IDEA 14, respectively. Not sure if I'll get to it before my upcoming vacation, though. 8) You could use ; comments as another workaround. ;)

Thanks again for the report! I can reproduce this, but only with IDEA 13, IDEA 14 is fine. BTW, the TAB key should also be broken in IDEA 13 -- can you confirm this, or did you disable the TAB action somehow as a workaround?

I finally may have to release separate versions for IDEA 13 and IDEA 14, respectively. Not sure if I'll get to it before my upcoming vacation, though. 8) You could use ; comments as another workaround. ;)

The tab key works OK, but there a few weird things, like when you enter B followed by Tab you get {}.

No rush for a fix, the error is not bothering me much and I can also switch to the free version of IDEA 14.

Well, the space-between-comments exception seems to be a bug in IDEA 13 (or rather, an overzealous assert). Fortunately, exceptions rarely affect the editor overall.

I've created a workaround for the IDEA 13 bug and attached an updated JAR specifically for IDEA 13. This one also knows about the newest additions to xas99. Updating the main release bundle might take some time, though.

The tab key works OK, but there a few weird things, like when you enter B followed by Tab you get {}.

That's the Live Templates from the stock IDE -- probably best to deactivate them in the settings. TAB key handling in 13 should now mirror that in 14.

xdt99-idea-13.zip

• Like 1