IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

Finally!   I was wondering if I would ever find this for my Sears collection.  This one has to be up there in rarity near Cannon Man for some reason.  I’m now only one box shy of the entire Sears run.  That box being Math Gran Prix means I’ll never find it, so effectively I’m now done with Sears!

630603FF-44A2-4EE8-8CA4-E0B4C85C3102.thumb.jpeg.bc5895dc67dfc6a9196b4f7d263419e7.jpeg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Finally!   I was wondering if I would ever find this for my Sears collection.  This one has to be up there in rarity near Cannon Man for some reason.  I’m now only one box shy of the entire Sears run.  That box being Math Gran Prix means I’ll never find it, so effectively I’m now done with Sears!

630603FF-44A2-4EE8-8CA4-E0B4C85C3102.thumb.jpeg.bc5895dc67dfc6a9196b4f7d263419e7.jpeg

I really like the look of this box variant.  The art is the same as the general release, but the black and orange color scheme really stand out nicely.

Gotta hand it to the highly imaginative and thought provoking art of that era!
Dick Van Dyke as a bumbling cop chasing down a drugged-out mustached thief (complete with 1970s era bell bottoms and shirt)
I would stare and study the images and envision a backstory as well as what would happen next.

Great for getting the juices flowing when you actually played the game and filled in the gaps and themes with your imagination!

22 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Don't think like that.

You'll find the Math Gran Prix someday, you are so close, don't be discouraged!!!

An original H.E.R.O. patch is on my "yeah, right" list, but no way I'm gonna ever completely lose hope!!!

:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Gotta hand it to the highly imaginative and thought provoking art of that era!
Dick Van Dyke as a bumbling cop chasing down a drugged-out mustached thief (complete with 1970s era bell bottoms and shirt)
I would stare and study the images and envision a backstory as well as what would happen next.

Great for getting the juices flowing when you actually played the game and filled in the gaps and themes with your imagination!

Dick Van Dyke as a bumbling cop, chasing down Gallagher...

Gallagher-Maze.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Don't think like that.

You'll find the Math Gran Prix someday, you are so close, don't be discouraged!!!

An original H.E.R.O. patch is on my "yeah, right" list, but no way I'm gonna ever completely lose hope!!!

:)

I guess I never thought I had a chance to acquire a boxed Cannon Man either and I found a copy in the last year so you never know.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, stupus said:

I was in the same situation. I found a cannon man last year to my amazement. 

Now I'm in your boat needing just math gran prix to finish sears....And I also don't feel so hopeful ;)

I suppose I understand the plight, now.

Ah-(lol, ears open to other collectors), I guess I'm just weird-if I accidentally had/got a copy of that, I'm more into "alignment of the universe" than value(tho I prolly don't want to know, so don't tell me, plz), and I'd actually WANT someone to have it to complete their collection, would feel like I "did something important", even if not for me.

• Like 2

I received two different items in the mail today.  I have an old original NES, but it's getting long in the tooth and a bit temperamental, so I ordered a Hyperkin Retron 1 HD despite some perhaps questionable reviews.  I've tried a number of games, and I have to say I think the Retron is performing better than I was lead to believe. 

Most folks complain about the sound, but where I notice the difference is that some of the colours in a few games are off.  An example is Dr. Mario; the Mario on the side of the screen has a pale green hue to his skin.  I also noticed while playing 1942 that the letter 'E' is missing from all the onscreen text (ie.  R_ADY  PLAY_R  ON_ )  Other than that, it's played every game I've thrown at it without any noticeable issues.

I also received a copy of R.C. Pro Am, a racing game I really enjoy.

Retron1HD.jpg

• Like 3

I searched for a rare Vectrex controller that only saw 10 ever made. It took me 5 years but I finally found one. I think if you hold out hope that you will find it one day and you keep searching the internet, it will certainly become yours. Ofcourse I had to pay a pretty penny, and you probably will as well. But it is possible.

35 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

I searched for a rare Vectrex controller that only saw 10 ever made. It took me 5 years but I finally found one. I think if you hold out hope that you will find it one day and you keep searching the internet, it will certainly become yours. Ofcourse I had to pay a pretty penny, and you probably will as well. But it is possible.

That’s the thing.  I know I’ll see one again at some point, but I don’t have the funds to compete against many of the others that will also be in the running.  My only chance is for a reasonable BIN I stumble on.  Not impossible, but unlikely.  In 30+ years of collecting, I think I’ve only seen this box come up maybe 5 times.  

On 12/30/2021 at 5:00 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Final get of the year (?): Soukyuugurentai

Pic_1230_875.thumb.jpg.7f3c397e096650c01db72cb7095d3a78.jpg

So I got around to playing this today... great game but I think the rip I was playing was bad (or I burnt the CD wrong) because the text before and after the bosses was a bunch of garbage... unlike at the start of the levels. I'm burning the game again at a slower speed as that might fix it.

EDIT: That didn't fix it... must be a bad rip.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

10 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

So I got around to playing this today... great game but I think the rip I was playing was bad (or I burnt the CD wrong) because the text before and after the bosses was a bunch of garbage... unlike at the start of the levels. I'm burning the game again at a slower speed as that might fix it.

EDIT: That didn't fix it... must be a bad rip.

It's one of the best games on the Saturn without question and an absolute must-play, so I will be curious to see what you think of it. It gets really hard on stage 5, though; that stage will eat every extend you have and half of your continues until you learn it. If your thing is weird, are you running it in English? If so, do it in Japanese, as they never finished the English version of the game and left a lot of the code in there, and I have heard that the English text doesn't show correctly.

Also try the Otokuyou version. It's less accurate to the arcade I guess, but I don't know the details beyond the removal of some slowdown.

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It's one of the best games on the Saturn without question and an absolute must-play, so I will be curious to see what you think of it. It gets really hard on stage 5, though; that stage will eat every extend you have and half of your continues until you learn it. If your thing is weird, are you running it in English? If so, do it in Japanese, as they never finished the English version of the game and left a lot of the code in there, and I have heard that the English text doesn't show correctly.

Also try the Otokuyou version. It's less accurate to the arcade I guess, but I don't know the details beyond the removal of some slowdown.

Ah so that's what that was. Thanks. At this point I might as well have the bios set to Japanese... I almost never play any NA games on it.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Just now, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Ah so that's what that was. Thanks.

So it was the English version, then. Yeah, they never finished it. It's not even known if the arcade version's international version, Terra Diver, ever even got released. Game's relatively obscure outside of the shooting games community.

5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

So it was the English version, then. Yeah, they never finished it. It's not even known if the arcade version's international version, Terra Diver, ever even got released. Game's relatively obscure outside of the shooting games community.

I set my Saturn to Japanese and it was even worse... I was using the Rev A version so I'm going to try the normal one.

2 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I set my Saturn to Japanese and it was even worse... I was using the Rev A version so I'm going to try the normal one.

I didn't know the game has a revision. Time to do some research to see what the differences are and which one I have. If that doesn't work, try Otokuyou as well. Otokuyou gets you a demo for Battle Garegga, as well, which is always nice.

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I didn't know the game has a revision. Time to do some research to see what the differences are and which one I have. If that doesn't work, try Otokuyou as well. Otokuyou gets you a demo for Battle Garegga, as well, which is always nice.

Don't need a demo when I have the full game. lol

38 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Both versions were still messed up... going to try Otokuyou.