IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

Haven't bought anything for a while, I think. Went to Mikado today and bought Raiden IV x Mikado Remix. This was a personal recommendation from Sato Go, the Raiden series composer, who told me that this is the one he'd like me to play the most, so I finally bought it. I guess this is the special limited edition version of the game that you can only get at Mikado or whatever. I honestly have no idea how they are still in business since both locations are pretty much always empty. This one purchase alone probably increased today's revenue by about 1000% or something.

Pic_0629_058.thumb.jpg.608b324ed00f595dc60c6b369e683f8c.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Haven't bought anything for a while, I think. Went to Mikado today and bought Raiden IV x Mikado Remix. This was a personal recommendation from Sato Go, the Raiden series composer, who told me that this is the one he'd like me to play the most, so I finally bought it. I guess this is the special limited edition version of the game that you can only get at Mikado or whatever. I honestly have no idea how they are still in business since both locations are pretty much always empty. This one purchase alone probably increased today's revenue by about 1000% or something.

Pic_0629_058.thumb.jpg.608b324ed00f595dc60c6b369e683f8c.jpg

I have the Switch version... the soundtrack keeps me coming back to the game. Now if I could just get my hands on the CD. Also there's no anime girls on the cover of the western release. lol

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

These came in today.  
They were in a lot on eBay as 'untested' and I paid a whopping $8.50 for them.  I really just wanted Ballblazer so it was a good deal.

I will say that all 3 carts work, but they are the most finicky games I own.  A cleaning may help, but we'll see.

*Ballblazer will only boot if I remove the PCB from the cart case and plug in the naked board into my 7800.  It's a little puzzling why I cannot get it to boot when it's in the cart casing, but the naked board boots almost 100% of the time.

*Karateka boots occasionally - not a big deal since I already own a boxed copy

*Defender I really don't care about.  I didn't boot at first, but now it does.  

End of the day, I saved a Pokey chip from getting harvested for other nefarious purposes.

WIN_20220701_13_35_39_Pro.jpg

Edited by Leonard Smith
  • Like 4

On 6/30/2022 at 1:49 AM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I have the Switch version... the soundtrack keeps me coming back to the game. Now if I could just get my hands on the CD. Also there's no anime girls on the cover of the western release. lol

lol that's Mikado-chan. She is the mascot of Mikado.

Anyway, now that I've had some time with it, I think it's a nice game, but for the super slow-moving routing-heavy type of game, I still like Kyuukyoku Tiger (not Twin Cobra) and Hishouzame more. I'll take Raiden IV over something like... I don't know, Tiger-Heli (although I do like Tiger-Heli more as I play it more), though. Kyuukyoku Tiger and Raiden IV both have problems with weapon balance, with each game having a weapon that is clearly the best choice (and it's the spread shot in both games, for that matter), but Kyuukyoku Tiger's stages are a lot more interesting and I feel they make me use my brain more than Raiden IV's stages do.

I'll tell Sato-san you liked the soundtrack next time I run into him. He's a really cool dude. He said his next show is probably going to be next year, unfortunately, so it might be a while.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

lol that's Mikado-chan. She is the mascot of Mikado.

Anyway, now that I've had some time with it, I think it's a nice game, but for the super slow-moving routing-heavy type of game, I still like Kyuukyoku Tiger (not Twin Cobra) and Hishouzame more. I'll take Raiden IV over something like... I don't know, Tiger-Heli (although I do like Tiger-Heli more as I play it more), though. Kyuukyoku Tiger and Raiden IV both have problems with weapon balance, with each game having a weapon that is clearly the best choice (and it's the spread shot in both games, for that matter), but Kyuukyoku Tiger's stages are a lot more interesting and I feel they make me use my brain more than Raiden IV's stages do.

I'll tell Sato-san you liked the soundtrack next time I run into him. He's a really cool dude. He said his next show is probably going to be next year, unfortunately, so it might be a while.

Yeah I would love to go to one of his shows but I can't afford to travel internationally let alone out of state. I would totally buy the soundtrack CD if it was available here... I'd even settle for a digital download.

• Like 2

I wanted one of these monitors so I could make another portable Pi setup as well as have a portable monitor I could take on pc repair calls as a test/2nd monitor. So when I saw this on eBay I took a chance based on the very vague title stating "2GB" and the ONE picture that happened to show the Pi installed. Now the monitor alone sells for $80-$100 used or new so no great loss if I just got the monitor.

It came in today WITH a Pi 4 2GB board and a 32GB sd card installed. I feel like I got a hell of a deal for $100. :) It works awesome ... and with the adapter cable and battery pack from my PiCade arcade cabinet it is 100% portable!

EDIT: Yes I took the camera off right away. ?

monitor.jpg

is that a Pi.jpg

Edited by ClassicGMR
Grammar
  • Like 3

Bought today if today were June 30

TBH the shirt cost money. The yellow cups were free (from the 3rd floor party room trash but they were clean, IDK if they held tokens cuz the rest of the place had smaller clear plastic cups.)

The round item is a poker chip worth 10 free tokens- I kept it.

& I grabbed 2 brochures that happened to perfectly fit a glassed frame I was getting rid of- cool gameroom swag!

Screenshot_20220709-140901_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220709-135917_Gallery.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 4

Here’s a recent pickup that I’ve wanted for a long time.  I remember these from back in the day and really excited to get this one.  In pretty nice shape overall.

I have a question for anyone else that owns one of these.   I know the Ms Pac Man figure is supposed to bounce back and forth as an attract feature.  I found on the back where it looks like a battery goes, but trying it does nothing.  Can anyone show me how the small motor should look with a battery?

Also, another interesting thing I noticed was the picture of the game on the TV set at the bottom.  It’s a sticker placed on there. My sticker happened to be falling off so I got to see underneath it was the same picture, but it shows Atari pac man on the screen.  Screw up in production?  I found it fascinating anyway. 

BED8B019-6722-4E8B-B560-B4BAA260A8DF.thumb.jpeg.b51c40c3776069674035b666331a96ec.jpeg

Bottom detail with sticker on:

1002D43C-420E-4854-AB40-DD9EAEFDEC0A.thumb.jpeg.75f16e1aaf6601237d52fffda6d16d3f.jpeg

With sticker off:

0E7D5856-E4EB-464F-BCD0-DF2EBF0BBD08.thumb.jpeg.eb1cdbd2cb88c429917250cb2c3f0a2c.jpeg

Edited by Atari_Bill
  • Like 5

On 7/10/2022 at 1:16 AM, RJ said:

Bought today if today were June 30

TBH the shirt cost money. The yellow cups were free (from the 3rd floor party room trash but they were clean, IDK if they held tokens cuz the rest of the place had smaller clear plastic cups.)

The round item is a poker chip worth 10 free tokens- I kept it.

& I grabbed 2 brochures that happened to perfectly fit a glassed frame I was getting rid of- cool gameroom swag!

Screenshot_20220709-140901_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220709-135917_Gallery.jpg

My favorite place in the world. I did exactly that with the brochures as well. I own three well-worn T-shirts and those yellow cups I have not seen in a couple of years I wonder if they brought them back to the ticket counter. They used to be full of tiny candy for 500 tickets.

• Like 2

The yellow cups were found in the trash barrels at the end of the long rows of tables in the party room. They were clean so I assumed they werent for drinks- but I wouldve washed them out & took em anyway, cuz at that point I'd learned they were out of my size/style shirt at the souvenir counter in that same room. 

Meanwhile my wife & kids were cashing in Harpoon Lagoon tickets DOWNstairs to get the shirt in the above pic. 

• Like 1

Here's what I recently bought over the last 2 weeks:

* Atari 7800 Console BOX (with styrofoam and packing materials) -- Saw this on eBay for a good price.  Made an offer and seller accepted.
* Antic Magazine (March and June 1988 issues) - Was interested in the XEGS articles
* Midnight Magic pinball XE cart + Atari Patch 
* 2 ProLine Joysticks (from GoldLeader) - say what you will, but I like these joysticks lol.  Always happy to buy good/working spares - sell them to me! :)

WIN_20220715_12_10_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220715_12_10_25_Pro.jpg

Edited by Leonard Smith
  • Like 6

Took a chance on a $25.00 'untested' lot of 3 games from a seller on the Atari Museum facebook group.
Needed Asteroids for my collection and figured an extra Ballblazer and Centipede wouldn't hurt for that price.

Well, all 3 games work great, and the seller even threw in an extra Ballblazer(!!) for free.

I'm swimming in Pokey chips now!  They are safe with me and won't be harvested for homebrews.

WIN_20220718_15_47_27_Pro.jpg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

Took a chance on a $25.00 'untested' lot of 3 games from a seller on the Atari Museum facebook group.
Needed Asteroids for my collection and figured an extra Ballblazer and Centipede wouldn't hurt for that price.

Well, all 3 games work great, and the seller even threw in an extra Ballblazer(!!) for free.

I'm swimming in Pokey chips now!  They are safe with me and won't be harvested for homebrews.

WIN_20220718_15_47_27_Pro.jpg

Funny I only think of Ballblazers as carriers of the mighty POKEYs.  I mean it's fine to have one in the collection...Truly I only tried to play it once and I couldn't make heads or tails of what I was seeing.  Nice graphics, but the game didn't even seem finished to me...Haha...But now with the mighty Dragonfly, and newer options out there,  we don't have to sacrifice our Ballblazers so much anymore.  That said,  you have the knack!  You are continually getting good deals on these!

• Like 1

I agree that the actual Ballblazer game is a bit weird and an acquired taste.  It's one of those games that were better in the 80's when people really sat down and dove into their new games and really set out to learn and master them.

With the 7800 library, I'm the same way.  
I love the arcade classics, but sometimes I'll fixate on a game (like Realsports Baseball, lately) and really devote myself to learning, playing and appreciating the lesser known or underappreciated games.  
Ballblazer is one of these games -- I've played it casually, but I will devote a Saturday to really figure it out.  That's how it was back when I was youth playing 2600 games...really enjoyed that.

Anyhow, I am a bit of a purist and feel that no game should be harvested of parts, regardless of how plentiful or awful it is.
Solutions like the PokeyOne exist and that's how 'homebrews' should be approached (when and if those bloody chips are ever available).  I do have my eye on Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, but I will not sacrifice a good Pokey for it.  I can wait for the PokeyOne to come back into stock.

I'm also someone who cannot bear seeing original hardware drilled/painted/modified/restickered/ or lit up with LED's etc. 
Add your composite mods without bastardizing the casings!

• Like 1