IGNORED

ROM Bitmap Sprite Shape MOB Repository?

First Spear

Not entirely sure what you mean. If you mean images of the various MOBs used in games, Google Image search is a starting point. But no one has put together anything remotely comprehensive in terms of cutting out MOBs from screenshots and compiling them into large, easily viewed images. You're basically looking at zooming in on a small (8x8-16x16 ish) image and cutting out what you want.

I guess I was thinking of a website with either graphic dumps of the MOBs, saved as modern bitmaps, or screen snips themselves.

I am working on some new MOBs and need inspiration on how to draw something decent/useful in 8x8 with one foreground color.

Thanks.

Not entirely sure what you mean. If you mean images of the various MOBs used in games, Google Image search is a starting point. But no one has put together anything remotely comprehensive in terms of cutting out MOBs from screenshots and compiling them into large, easily viewed images. You're basically looking at zooming in on a small (8x8-16x16 ish) image and cutting out what you want.

If you're able to get jzIntv working, the F11 key will save a GIF snapshot. You could play a few games, jabbing F11 occasionally when something interesting is on screen, so you can go back and look at it more closely later.

All the screenshots get saved with names like "shot0001.gif", "shot0002.gif", etc. Not the world's greatest naming, but it works.

• Like 1

I guess I was thinking of a website with either graphic dumps of the MOBs, saved as modern bitmaps, or screen snips themselves.

I am working on some new MOBs and need inspiration on how to draw something decent/useful in 8x8 with one foreground color.

Ah. Well, one thing I've picked up as a trick - if you have an idea of "what" you're looking for.. say a flower.. do a Google Image search for "pixel flower".

You won't often get 8x8 sprites (these days most "pixel art" is much higher resolution than we ever had, or it's at least NES quality) but I find that it does give good inspiration on how to make something a lot more low res. It's worked surprisingly well for me when I've been completely stumped. I am not an artiste by any stretch.

It also helps avoid unintentional plagiarism. Obviously things will have the INTV look-and-feel, there's only so much you can do with 64 monochrome pixels, but at least it avoids direct rip-offs. I strive for originality as much as possible.

• Like 1