IGNORED

CorComp RS232 card killed my PEB! Help!

wyerd

My PEB is dead.

I just fitted a CorComp RS232 card I won on eBay over the weekend. Switched on the power, there was a dull thud sound and nothing. Removed all the cards and checked the fuse on the back which looks ok, dead as a Dodo.

I need some help to revive it!

Is the PSU completely dead??!! Don't understand why this has happened.

Thanks,

Dave.

I had removed the original fan a while ago and replaced it with a quieter PC one, but when I re-connect the original, it works, so it must be the transformer fuse.

The question is, why did it blow in the first place? Was adding another card too much for it as I'm running 2 drives? Should I consider the 2 Amp power upgrade?

Before you do, you might want to figure out why it blew in the first place.

I would not replace that fuse, but rather bypass it and splice in a fuse and holder somewhere up the line OUTSIDE of the transformer. I have not looked so the Mainbyte article might recommend the same thing.

• Like 1

I had removed the original fan a while ago and replaced it with a quieter PC one, but when I re-connect the original, it works, so it must be the transformer fuse.

The question is, why did it blow in the first place? Was adding another card too much for it as I'm running 2 drives? Should I consider the 2 Amp power upgrade?

The card may have been the culprit. Did you purchase it from someone who jumpered it internally for use with a PC power supply? You might want to crack the RS232 card case open to inspect the regulators. Also, is this a CorComp metal clamshell or was a TI clamshell used?

Thanks for the advice guys. The card was sold without a clamshell and there don't appear to be any mods to it either.

This is the eBay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/141530969665?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

An external fuse is a great idea. Where would you recommend I get the parts from which I assume would be:-

3A fast blow fuse

Fuse holder with wiring

That TI clamshell has some projections that probably shorted your 5V straight to ground. . . .it may have also damaged the card, so look carefully at the components on it--and look for a possible arc point.

Ah...........I wasn't aware of that.......( goes off and bangs head against a wall!! )

This looks like the projection that you're talking about

img_1289.jpg

You can see the impression it made on the card right on the power lines to the voltage regulator..........BANG.......

img_1290.jpg

I'll have to re-title the topic to "I killed my PEB by assuming all clamshells are the same".

• Like 1

Bugger...... didn't work. Installed fuse and tested it without any cards. Same thud sound as I switched it on then nothing. Looks like the PSU circuit is fried somewhere.

Anyone have a spare PSU they'd like to sell?? Otherwise it's a NOS PEB now at $140 odd dollars :-o :-o

Anyone have a spare PSU they'd like to sell?? Otherwise it's a NOS PEB now at $140 odd dollars :-o :-o

Bummer, man. Are there alternative PSUs that you can try now you have freed up that space? I have had the idea of replacing my PEB PSU with an ATX for a long time, but I have pretty much shelved that for more important things.

As for the price, I found a Joy Electronics catalog sent to me back in 2001-ish listing PEBs for $200. Comparatively I do not guess $140 is all that bad. But, it is easy for me to say as I picked up my NOS PEB back when they were $89 each.

Bugger...... didn't work. Installed fuse and tested it without any cards. Same thud sound as I switched it on then nothing. Looks like the PSU circuit is fried somewhere.

Install a PC power supply while you've got the thing open. It's worth the effort, and cheap.

Gazoo

Install a PC power supply while you've got the thing open. It's worth the effort, and cheap.

Gazoo

A quick Google on the subject suggests that the power regulator of the cards would have to be removed, and going on past experience, I don't want to mess anything else up!