IGNORED

intellivision Lock n Chase MUCH better than the arcade version

Mazerati

the 1st time i played the arcade version of Lock N Chase after playing it for years on the Intellivision

i couldn't believe how bad it was...i mean the game gives you NO TIME to get the $$ in the middle of the maze

you have to be right near it or forget it..whats up with that??

not only that i prefer the sound and the graphics on the Intellivision version over the arcade too

• Like 2

I want to like Lock 'N' Chase, I really do. However, I find it unresponsive and sluggish, and I have no patience for games like that. Now, if it ran as swiftly and snappy as Burgertime, that would be a treat!

-dZ.

Hmmm, have you maybe uncovered a potential Super Pro title for David to upgrade? :)

I want to like Lock 'N' Chase, I really do. However, I find it unresponsive and sluggish, and I have no patience for games like that. Now, if it ran as swiftly and snappy as Burgertime, that would be a treat!

-dZ.

Which version did you play, the regular or the one with the control improved?

When the game was released, press and customers complained about how difficult it was to control Lupin. (You had to time turns precisely, or Lupin would stop dead.) The problem was considered bad enough that a running change was ordered: after the 6K cartridges were sold out, improved 8K versions would be released. By this time, Mike had transferred to the Design & Development department, so Julie Hoshizaki was assigned to make the improvement. The improved versions aren't marked on the package; the easiest way to tell if you have an improved version is to watch what happens when a cop catches Lupin. In the arcade game, Lupin collapses into his hat -- an animation there wasn't room for in the 6K version. The collapsing animation is in the 8K version.

From :http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/action2.html

I didn't like the original either when playing on an emulator or original hardware I hated the cornering or lack thereof. I enjoyed the revised version more on JZINTV, don't have a flashcart yet to try on hardware.

Which version did you play, the regular or the one with the control improved?

From :http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/action2.html

I didn't like the original either when playing on an emulator or original hardware I hated the cornering or lack thereof. I enjoyed the revised version more on JZINTV, don't have a flashcart yet to try on hardware.

The regular one. I guess the lucky few have tried it via CC3 as the ROM does exist, but beyond that no one has ever played this on real hardware as the cart does not exist, regardless of what Keith has on the site.

Of course as the saying goes: "prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong". The 8K LnC would command a hefty price, if one ever turned up.

Edited by freeweed

The regular one. I guess the lucky few have tried it via CC3 as the ROM does exist, but beyond that no one has ever played this on real hardware as the cart does not exist, regardless of what Keith has on the site.

Of course as the saying goes: "prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong". The 8K LnC would command a hefty price, if one ever turned up.

You know what's sad? There are Lock'n'Chase cartridges with what appear to be 8K ROMs in them (2 x 4K ROM chips), but the 6K version. That's just sad. I'm going to guess the running change was ordered and made, but somehow the mask set still got burned from the 6K version.

Edited by intvnut

You know what's sad? There are Lock'n'Chase cartridges with 8K ROMs in them, but the 6K version. That's just sad. I'm going to guess the running change was ordered and made, but somehow the mask set still got burned from the 6K version.

Really? That might explain why some people were convinced for so long that both existed in the wild. I guess they dumped but never actually played them.

You know what's sad? There are Lock'n'Chase cartridges with what appear to be 8K ROMs in them (2 x 4K ROM chips), but the 6K version. That's just sad. I'm going to guess the running change was ordered and made, but somehow the mask set still got burned from the 6K version.

Oh! That is indeed sad, though it would explain why Keith and the BSR's assert that it was indeed released.

-dZ.

My favorite version of Lock 'n Chase is the GB version, but that's an updated game rather than a port. I like the 6k Intellivision version quite a bit, though I wouldn't mind playing the 8k one when I get a flash cart. The Intellivision website made it sound like the control was poor in the 6k, but I didn't have a problem with it, despite the odd stopping quirk. I like the 2600 one too, though that one is simplified compared to other versions.

Just goes to show you, better graphics and animations don't necessarily mean a better game. Something that all developers (and gamers) need to keep in mind, then and now.

This is how I feel about arcade Warlords verses Atari 2600 Warlords. The 2600 Warlords is much more vicious (fun) I believe.

• 7 years later...
On 1/19/2015 at 1:09 PM, DZ-Jay said:

Try the M-Network version. And don't blame the sluggishness of the Intellivision version on the EXEC—that ain't so.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 8:07 AM, Walter Ives said:

Try the M-Network version.

Will do!

On 12/3/2022 at 8:07 AM, Walter Ives said:

And don't blame the sluggishness of the Intellivision version on the EXEC—that ain't so.

Oh, I know better thank that. ;)

• Like 1