IGNORED

SHARKNADO (Atari 2600) Put On Hold/Cancelled

neotokeo2001

It sucks that this happened after you'd already put so much time and money into it, but it's not unexpected. Some companies are just more protective of their properties (Or in some cases, things that kinda sorta resemble their properties. See Specialized bicycles.) and they have every right to be. Or maybe you've just been lucky enough to fly under the radar until now, who knows? (Right now I'm imagining a room full of low-level legal aides poring over Google hits for "Sharknado," looking for something to bring to the attention of their bosses and maybe get a promotion. Somewhere on page 87, there you were.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Hunger Shark. It's a fun little game.

I'm not trying to pile on but you should have just produced the game and sold the carts. Done. If you're gonna IP infringe, just do it instead of spending months building up hype, having people submit artwork, adding more options for special sets, etc. All you were doing was increasing the likelihood that something like this was going to happen. If you're gonna shoplift, don't loiter in the store for 2 hours first, getting everyone's attention.

• Like 7

This IS disappointing, Neo, but I'm sure I speak for many when I say your efforts are appreciated even though it didn't work out. Please don't be discouraged. And the idea of releasing it using a different name sounds just fine to me. Count me in!

• Like 2

I'm not trying to pile on but you should have just produced the game and sold the carts. Done. If you're gonna IP infringe, just do it instead of spending months building up hype, having people submit artwork, adding more options for special sets, etc. All you were doing was increasing the likelihood that something like this was going to happen. If you're gonna shoplift, don't loiter in the store for 2 hours first, getting everyone's attention.

Ii takes months from start to finish to produce one of these games. I am sure all the extras like the contest and multiple versions increase the profile of the release but that is kind of why I do it in the first place, I love building out all the extras. I don't have any trademarked games in the pipeline for now.

This IS disappointing, Neo, but I'm sure I speak for many when I say your efforts are appreciated even though it didn't work out. Please don't be discouraged. And the idea of releasing it using a different name sounds just fine to me. Count me in!

Thanks. It will be released with a different title with all Sharknado references removed.

• Like 1

Here's hopefully a better attempt at what I was trying to say yesterday.

The kind of people who would make a movie like Sharknado would probably get a kick out of seeing an Atari VCS game based on their movie and as long as you weren't selling thousands of copies through retail stores, probably wouldn't have a problem with it. But they aren't the ones sending out cease and desist orders. Those come from some low level member of the legal department trying to move up the ladder.

Hopefully you can figure out a way to keep doing what you love (maybe making one "official" copy for yourself to get autographed and then selling a rebranded version here).

The kind of people who would make a movie like Sharknado would probably get a kick out of seeing an Atari VCS game based on their movie and as long as you weren't selling thousands of copies through retail stores, probably wouldn't have a problem with it. But they aren't the ones sending out cease and desist orders. Those come from some low level member of the legal department trying to move up the ladder.

Hopefully you can figure out a way to keep doing what you love (maybe making one "official" copy for yourself to get autographed and then selling a rebranded version here).

That comes first.

post-3832-0-50619400-1421958320_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-61487300-1421958330_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-81368000-1421958299_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You are correct. Getting in contact with someone who can actually make a decision is the hard part.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 231466536131span>&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 231466530469span>&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I need to raise some funds to finance HUNGER SHARK. I have put up a boxed prototype of SHARKNADO signed by Tara Reid and a sealed set of SHARKNADO prototype cards. This is the prototype SHARKNADO box and a signed prototype cartridge. The card set is sealed and is one of two that were printed.

This is the only chance to get a copy of SHARKNADO as it was intended before the game was cancelled.

Any questions just ask.

post-3832-0-33095300-1422579426_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-22547800-1422579427_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-08149900-1422579428_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-88864900-1422579428_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-81042000-1422579411_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-73364100-1422579412_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-77552000-1422579413_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-26650800-1422579415_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotokeo2001

Hey shit happens...the film was too current...There is still a buzz around it...I'm sure if you made this game a couple years from now no one would care...I hope to play it some day...til then if you make anymore film based movies have alternate titles ready just in case...maybe just release it under a different name but have an alternate title screen...

Maybe we'll see "Tornado Shark Attack" (wink wink) soon.

Hey shit happens...the film was too current...There is still a buzz around it...I'm sure if you made this game a couple years from now no one would care...I hope to play it some day...til then if you make anymore film based movies have alternate titles ready just in case...maybe just release it under a different name but have an alternate title screen...

Maybe we'll see "Tornado Shark Attack" (wink wink) soon.

The game will be back in a few months. I just want to step back from it for now and move on to the next game or two in the pipeline. It is a really fun game and deserves a release.

• Like 2