IGNORED

Unboxing a brand new Intellivision

Gernot

I can't tell you how i feel, like a child celebrating birthday x-mas and national holiday, all in one.

birthday and x-mas in one is not such a big fun, i know it i'm born on a 4th advent (12/18/66)

It's like someone would have stored it for 30years in a nitrogene atmosphere,

almost.

There is nothing missing, warranty and brochure, traders contact adress, everything is like it was bought new right yesterday.

Only the right controller shows that its been used.

Some boxes contain personal notes of the prev. owner, how to play it or scoretables, freaky.

I'm sitting in front of "the rotten lathe controller" typing this words and i can't stop smiling & laughing.

01010085_zpsbnjyvhmk.jpg

01010086_zpsqtjbycih.jpg

01010088_zpswjbot9si.jpg

01010087_zpsvmhelzyf.jpg

01010089_zpsreanwhnp.jpg

01010090_zpsu1hgawdk.jpg

I just miss one thing now,

a television for Intelligent

gaming ;)

but that should be no proplem, i know where to get one from for a few swiss franks.

doesn't have to be a big one since i live on a few squarefeet and have already no space left for all my junk.

Better would be a old Multisync Monitor, like the ones i had for my amiga(s), because

theoretically i would have to register my TV to "Billag" (nice name, "bill society of shareholders", yep they only write bills, nothing else, cool business)

It's the outsourced (very popular nowadays) bookkeeping of our National TV Channel (under public law).

It would cost me 300 "Fränkli" per year, for good, i have to pay already 150.- for my radio per year, sized like a cigarette box, cost 5.-

i really thought once about to buy me 30 of them and to throw them from the rooftop of "billag", that would at least be some fun.

One could get fined if he doesn't pay this, i don't know what it is, money you trow out of your window it is, to feed the poor shareholders, they will have to starve else.

And this we don't want no? them poor shareholders.

"Just wait, just wait, until that little devil comes around and grabs you by the feet"

• Like 3

Ein Auftragsheft?

Yes, obviousely i live in switzerland, bin aber kein Schweizer.

All the wealthy companies have their HQ or branch in Lausanne, Néuchatel or Zug, lower taxes you know.

@intvsteve

the bill?

nah, i know the inty you meant.

it's really in a good condition

it was expensive, i posted this already last week

with shipping SFr 200 ($227)

but i didn't expected to find one so quick or at all in switzerland,

when i saw the pictures in the offer i knew i don't have to look any further.

i assumed most will look like this:

01010094_zps3buxi3na.jpg

it's 30 years ago, 30 years ago i looked quite younger as well

but now...

anim1c_zpscd5c3e6d.gif

intvsteve

or do you thought of my avatar?

i guess i start a poll,

i have a couple to select from

the recent one compares to the one i use on YT

it's a closeup of the "Alien Defense Craft 1944" (ADC44)

2011-02-06_114357.jpg

klein Gernot (16, when i bought my inty)

gernot_17_s.jpg

the prof.

i like that one much, just like me in school, but to the surprise of my teachers...

"erm, ja bla.. bla... bla..."

prof2.jpg

a computer related one (diagram of the pascaline)

pesanteur_pascalineWeb.jpg

"always be kind to your neighbour"

that's really to read in this dragon

apart from the skull (2 in fact) which he forms

on the bottom of the post i will show a variation which was more a lucky draw.

the computer (or photocomposition) allows you to see things different,

you can double layers, mirror, rotate.

firedragon_thumb.gif

a classic

inteloutside.gif

"it belongs to me"

angrycat_thumb.gif

"AoxoToxoA"

01010045_s.jpg

"DeadEnd?"

deadendradio_64.gif

"surfs up"

surfer_a_icon.gif

and some more

*this is a variation of the "dragon", it's a slightly different one

the text would be if it's to read

"Love and Peace to all WoMankind"

it's painted with chinese ink and later colorized on the computer

01010043_k_zps6d192c79.jpg

01010043_f.jpg

Edited by Gernot

Never in my life ;)

This is the first time i hold this game in my hands,

It's the first time i have seen the box (in reality).

Except there would be something special about it and i could have in return the same cartridge,

i'm no collector, never was.

But the game is a classic,

i played it emulated often with my son (stepson to be honest) when he was about 8 (age not confirmed, born '92) years old.

It was the only Intellivision game he liked, since the range to select from was for him quite large,

a SNES with ca. 20 games

a SMS even 20

A500 can't tell how much, i even owned once a A2000 all amigas i bought used with some games

A4000 maybe 10 which differ from A500

CD32 let's say 5 specific (additionally "Assassin PD collections") CD32 they was rare, i was proud owner of "Microcosm", this game showed what the CD32 could have become.

But also "Global Effect" is burned in my memory, a game you never can win, you can only loose better.

(he killed the CD32, naughty boy, played his first game on it "beat groundhogs with a hammer", he loved it aged 4 i never forget that)

He owned a Gameboy, and later a Gameboy color.

He had a similar game as Shark! Shark! for the Gameboy, made in China for a clone of the Gameboy "senchen" or something, i would have to google for it.

The games i played on the PC (except emulated consoles) didn't interested him much in the beginning.

Overall he never liked simulations, which was what i played on it.

PS1, PS2, a Gamecube

later a computer, but he didn't owns one anymore, he's a consolero, why not? plays no sim games and doesn't works with the machine

PS3 and i assume the latest crap as well, i haven't visited him since about 2years.

A gamer family how it seems.

My wife didn't played often, except on the SNES, she had some favorites like "Timon & Pumba" or "Alladin"

We played more "Back Gammon" ("maier", "tric trac", slightly different rules very common in morocco and france) together.

Are there any scans of that version of the Intellivision catalog posted somewhere?

which catalog exactly?

the one i unfolded?

---

i could prob. make scans

the problem is, since i have a 64bit win7 i can't use my HP scanner anymore (1000s of ppl got the same problem, i never will buy anything from HP, it sucks, it seems with every new Windoze they stop supporting "old" HW

"Werfer eins feuer frei!").

It's impossible to find a driver

and to run it from within a VM is a stupid solution.

But if nothing else helps i will have to.

(also i'm not convinced it will work, VM or not if something doesn't works because you have a 64bit machine this stays, as i found out).

but why should i trash some working hardware because of a lousy piece of software?

but if i'm in right mood i will see what i can do.

Yeah, I also am missing that version of Shark Shark :)

a)

Like i said, "what the heck is so special about it?"

b)

i guess BBWW was quicker

"dr flinker isch dr handlicher" (the quicker is the handy one)

or

"wer zuerst kommt mahlt zuerst"

a)

Like i said, "what the heck is so special about it?"

b)

i guess BBWW was quicker

"dr flinker isch dr handlicher" (the quicker is the handy one)

or

"wer zuerst kommt mahlt zuerst"

The "normal" version of Shark Shark is in a red box and is more common:

shrk-000.jpg

Yours is the less common International version:

shrk-020.jpg

4 total games were given this "International" treatment (Shark Shark, Mission X, Vectron, and Burgertime), however Shark Shark is the hardest to come by (and the only one I'm missing).

[Thanks to http://www.intvfunhouse.com/ for the images]

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

which catalog exactly?

the one i unfolded?

---

i could prob. make scans

the problem is, since i have a 64bit win7 i can't use my HP scanner anymore (1000s of ppl got the same problem, i never will buy anything from HP, it sucks, it seems with every new Windoze they stop supporting "old" HW

"Werfer eins feuer frei!").

It's impossible to find a driver

and to run it from within a VM is a stupid solution.

But if nothing else helps i will have to.

(also i'm not convinced it will work, VM or not if something doesn't works because you have a 64bit machine this stays, as i found out).

but why should i trash some working hardware because of a lousy piece of software?

but if i'm in right mood i will see what i can do.

Try using VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com). It isn't free but it has a trail period. It works great with my ancient HP ScanJet 5370C on my Windows 7 64-bit PC. There is a list there for what manufacturers and models are supported, including about 360 HP models (http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp.html)

If you have trouble with an old scanner, just use Linux. And if you're not keen on installing it, try any of a dozen or more excellent LiveCDs. Just boot and run - no installation needed, it won't touch your Windows install if you don't want it to. It's a rare piece of hardware I can't make work under Linux (although plenty of newer stuff is a pain in the ass).

Try using VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com). It isn't free but it has a trail period. It works great with my ancient HP ScanJet 5370C on my Windows 7 64-bit PC. There is a list there for what manufacturers and models are supported, including about 360 HP models (http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp.html)

tried that already half a year ago, it didn't worked out.

the scanner is recognized but didn't responds.

but i can give that a try again,

but vuescan isn't free no? it leaves a watermark if i'm right.

to post a scan of a catalog it won't matter, but i can't use this to scan my pictures i.e.

thanks also for the hint with linux, freeweed

it's a option yes.

i never ran linux, thought once about it, because it would have made sense for "Pioneer Space Sim",

there aren't so many linux users (even less OSX users) and it's always good if a little more experienced one can help other users with the game.

many years i used a old Mustek scanner, a monster of a scanner in a metal case unfortunatley it's a scsi one, such is hardly supported by any motherboard now,

certainly not with my cheap medion, i have neither a IDE slot to mount any old card, i miss my SB the build in is tard.

as a final solution, i still have two old machines, i'm only a little to lazy and recently i have only one monitor (and one saved from trashing, i would need a powersupply for it but 12V 3A is heavy duty),

nice guy as i am i gifted once one to my sister (and kept the older one, ts, no money in the pocket but gifts his things...).

----------------

now what we gonna do with Shark! Shark! ?

a lottery?

a competition?

like i said to me the box didn't matters much i'm no collector.

thus if i can get the same game in return why not?

or if i can keep the cartridge.

but i guess you would like it complete, box and cartridge, that's obvious.

i guess a competition in something would be fair,

though anyone who's interested in it has the same chance

condition is only i like to get the same game (not same game - shark! shark!) in return, with or without box.

would cost us a few $ for shipping

recently i ran out of money, i have SFr 8.- left in my wallet, that's not much.

but thursday i receive my money from welfare.

beat me in astrosmash ;)

500'000 is not to much it's possible to beat,

Edited by Gernot

trial version will i've readed that a few days ago (i didn't knew).

but to buy it?

problematic for one without a credit card, neither i see a big sense for me to buy it.

maybe i can whine a little, it helped once, i can't remember exactly which software it was, but i downloaded once

a so called "free" software, installed it and noticed it was a trial version which really had no use as trial (e.g. save/load disabled)

i wrote a e-mail and said that this isn't proper to call it "free" if you can't use it really, a few days later i received the full version for free.

It can help if you open your mouth

really i think that's needed sometime, Logitech for a long time didn't offered drivers for OSX, one commented that they claimed to release a multiplatform release and

he simply asked what has happened to this, "where is it now?" since i was working on my mothers macbook then and liked to use my joypad as well on it, i backed him up,

maybe a third and so on. At least since last year they offer now a OSX driver & profiler software.

the only useful solution else for OSX is "USB overdrive" costs $30 and is clumsy to use, for $30 you get a quite good pad from Logitech with profiler.

$5 would be enough and i guess he would sell his software far better.

apart from that you can't compare any "homebrew" profiler to the original one, the Logitech profiler doesn't only maps keystrokes to the buttons or axes,

the control for old games when i map the cursor keys to the axes is usually better as if i use the joystick support of the game.

at least it comes very close to a analog input even when it's only keystrokes.

"a good is a good and a bad is a bad"

i honored them for the quality and the else good support they do and also joked about the loss in sales and said "maybe the quality is to good" i still use a over 10 year old steering wheel

and a same aged cordless rumble pad, the very first from logitech, it was a must have for me back then.

but unlike for HP i will always recommend Logitech for input devices, while i will never buy anything from HP.

The customer is king and he must use this right to choose he has.

experimenting,

for "schraubensack2" one of the predecessors of the machine i use now (schraubensack4) i "builded" the driver for the Mustek scanner,

means it was from different sources and somehow i managed it to make it work.

but i guess right now, to use my old machine is the easiest way, i won't need the scanner often.

i'm just to lazy to install a windows (maybe ME) registering the installed XP didn't worked out so far.

but sometimes i'm simply impatient, that's all.

and photographs should work as well for the catalog, i assume.

Yeah, it's a old casio camera quite good optic even though it has only 5M pixels, it's still far better as a handy with 12M pixels.

plugged it into my new machine and the driver was installed, bam! that's what i expect, no matter how old, you bought a product of quality.

Edited by Gernot

print your own box ;)

Shark!%20Shark!%20(1982)%20(Mattel).png

ok, it's not the international release, but tell me that's no actual box, looks almost like a printing sheet but something smells fishy and it's not the shark.

but i found a interesting alternative "Demon Attack"

Demon%20Attack%20(1982)%20(Imagic).png

i like that game, that's why i borrowed some from it

the "little green man" (bonus life) is a snapshot from "game factory"

to sad i didn't managed it for this clip to get to the level boss of the last level, it's a zeppelin and similar to the "green monster" it has only

one weak point, a big laser gun, which is covered the most time, but if open it will fire a broad beam.

Edited by Gernot