IGNORED

Doctor Who Berzerk w/Speech

iesposta

K9!!! Back in the day I went out for Halloween once as the Fourth Doctor. Made a pretty awesome cardboard K9 to hold candy. At each house the conversation went like this:

"So who are you supposed to be?"

"I'm the Doctor."

"You don't look like a doctor!"

LOL...wasn't so popular a show then.

Ah, didn't realize about the color sliding. Well, hope the idea is useful. And I totally agree no need to reinvent everything from scratch....it's definitely a fun hack!

• Like 1

Just a Idea , maybe have a k-9 icon appear and it would clear the screen?

Also is it me or the daleks never shoot?

I believe it starts at "child" level.

Suggested Selection is game 6. Selection 2 is nice also, but you can't shoot Cyberman back to its start.

How hard is it to change the Doctor's look? I was thinking how cool would it be if every time you changed to the next screen he regenerated to look like a different Doctor! Probably impossible. I am loving it!

I have been thinking about quotes. How many words or syllables can be used?

Are you wanting to stick to quotes from the fourth Doctor or any?

The Doctor does not ever use a gun. He has a Sonic Screwdriver that emits sonic waves. The waves break up the enemies, or maybe the frequency causes them to self destruct? I need a sonic wave sound.

I don't know anything about hacking games....but....if you wanted to capture the real "feel" of the sonic screwdriver would it be possible to make your shots INVISIBLE!

Would also make for a challenge, maybe make them the same color as the background or something ;)

Ohhh, also instead of Otto you could do a timelord head (generic face with big campy collar) since The Doctor is technically running from..... yeah, don't need to explain that obviously reading everyones responses. Had no idea this many Whovians were here :)

• Like 1

Just the sample "Doctor" uses 1/2 a bank, so doctor twice would be the whole bank, but if it adds to the game I'll string banks of words together.

You can also sample at even lower rates for longer quotes, but you reach a point that it just isn't clear enough.

The Berzerk with speech hack packs a lot of words in it. And all in 3 extra banks.

I think each word is a sample because sampling pauses is wasteful. Also I think I hear different playback rates for higher or lower pitch. That is something I can experiment with.

Besides Doctor! & Exterminate! the only thing else I've thought up is "the doctor must not escape"

Any quote or effect from any place will be considered.

Some more I pulled from that link:

Fourth doctor (Destiny of the Daleks)
Dalek: Seek! Locate! Exterminate!

The Five Doctors:

Dalek: Halt! At once! You will be exterminated! HALT! HALT!!!

Dalek: It is the Doctor! The Doctor must be destroyed!!!

Dalek: Obey! Obey the Daleks! You will be exterminated!!!

No love on the invisable shots? It is a sonic screwdriver ;)

I'd love to but just can't think of how... missiles take the color of the players so I can't make them black without making the player black. My new player graphic is holding a screwdriver and the sound is buzzy, not pure like the original.

The only other thing I can think of is to make horizontal shots vertical missiles and up/down shots horizontal missiles?

Lots of quotes in one place here: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Daleks

How about "Alert!" from Bad Wolf?

I now have an "Alert!" and "You will not succeed!"

That last one takes a whole bank, so without stringing banks together, Atari 2600 can do about 2 seconds of pretty good playback per 4K without any data compression or tricks.

Such great people here, willing to help and contribute!

How about that flapping scarf effect?

It sort of accidentally became flapping, because from the sprite suggestion I had a scarf out the back but it looked like a solid growth, so I moved it down on one frame and WOW, a flapping 4th Doctor's scarf!

From my simple idea to re-remake a Doctor Who Berzerk and add speech samples, to something that's becoming really special.

There is now a text file I can share that will let anyone design mazes!

And I created a 48 pixel logo, and wished for a selection screen and wow:

Unreleased game version teaser picture:

med_gallery_29575_1164_82818.jpg

• Like 2

Thomas (if I recall correctly) had me do a LumaBoost in Stay Frosty 2 whenever player1 had to flicker, it makes the flicker less noticeable.

Could you do that with the Doctor? Basically you'd set up a second color table for the Doctor where each value was +2 over the original table. You'd use the second color table for the Doctor whenever the Cyberman head came out.

Thomas (if I recall correctly) had me do a LumaBoost in Stay Frosty 2 whenever player1 had to flicker, it makes the flicker less noticeable.

Could you do that with the Doctor? Basically you'd set up a second color table for the Doctor where each value was +2 over the original table. You'd use the second color table for the Doctor whenever the Cyberman head came out.

I don't know if I came up with the idea originally, but I remember mentioning to you that flickering reduces the brightness.

Have a look at the source code also! Join in!

Thanks for the invite, but I've got way too many projects on the stove as it is:

• Bus Stuffing scheme (design it, implement in Stella, etc).
  • DPC+ARM series
  • Draconian
  • Frantic
  • The Story of Stay Frosty 2 series
  • Timmy!
  • etc.

The 2600 games are on the back burner as I plan to reboot them with the Bus Stuffing scheme once that's done. Bus Stuffing will let them look even better than they do now.

The Bus Stuffing scheme is on the back burner because I started up the DPC+ARM series. That began because I was contacted by the developer of one of the top 10 homebrew games on getting up to speed with using DPC+ARM for a new project he's started on. That project's not far along, but is already looking very slick :D

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

SpiceWare: LumaBoost = Done. (Thanks Omegamatrix!)

I think it makes a great improvement.

[iesposta] had me do a LumaBoost in Stay Frosty 2 whenever player1 had to flicker, it makes the flicker less noticeable.