IGNORED

Commodore Magic Voice

2600Lives

So, rummaging through my oddities box, I ran across one of these. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have any cables. What cables exactly does it use? In pictures, I've seen one with what looks like a DIN connector on one end, and a smaller connector on the other, possibly an RCA (since that's what the jacks on the side of the actual Magic Voice looks like). Also, these are apparently rare? Thanks in advance to anybody who knows about this!

DIN sounds feasible - the only way to get the external audio into the C64 is by the audio in pin on the monitor port.

In theory you could probably just run to an external speaker independant of the computer. But C64 allows filtering of external audio so you'd miss out on that if the voice software used it.

Well, I found a text version of the instructions (after much looking, actually). It says it comes with a, and I quote, audio cable with a PHONO end and a 5-pin DIN end. It also says you hook the DIN into the A/V plug on the C-64, and the phono plug into the audio OUT plug. I dunno, seems kinda odd. Gonna look through my cables and see if I have it. Hopefully, I do, because I see nothing online to buy, that's for sure.

That's how it'd work. But in most cases these days you'd want to be able to use a monitor on the C64.

What you need is to buy or make a monitor plug that also has facility to use the audio in.

Most monitor plugs you buy will just have a DIN and short leads with female RCA plugs at the other end, usually 1 each for audio out, composite video, colour, luma.

2600Lives wrote:

> ...audio cable with a PHONO end and a 5-pin DIN end. It also says you hook the DIN into the A/V plug on the C-64, and the phono plug into the audio OUT

> plug. I dunno, seems kinda odd. Gonna look through my cables and see if I have it. Hopefully, I do, because I see nothing online to buy...

One of our club members and myself both have the Magic Voice package. If you don't have the cable, you or a person knowledgeable in making cables can build what you need. At CommVEx v10 2014, Roger Van Pelt had a video demonstration of the Magic Voice speech module. He shows how the cables are to be connected. To see his video, go to

http://youtu.be/AsuXLJhaTZk

FCUG celebrating 33 years,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Edited by RobertB

Oh, cool, so I don't need that DIN cable after all. Sweet.

So, I use a C-64 composite cable to hook the system to a television (a DIN plug to 2 RCA male ends). The audio cable would go into the female RCA jack that's plugged into the Magic Voice, and the RCA male coming from the Magic Voice would go into the audio in on the television. Neat! I gotta hook everything up and try this now! I have both Gorf and Wizard of Wor. If I can keep it hooked in constantly while using other programs and cartridges (like my beloved Fast Loader), then it would make changing cartridges a snap, as they just go into the top of the module instead of trying to jam them into the back of the system.