IGNORED

DLC woes. Why do I need to be online?

Shawn

Hey,

So I got a bunch of DLC for both Minecraft and Trails Fusion. Downloaded and installed just fine. Plays just fine BUT if I turn off

the internet connection NONE of the DLC works and the games says I don't have any of it. Does it do a check online before

letting you use the content you paid for and already downloaded onto your system? If so that is bullshit. Is there a way around it?

I have no reason to have the PS4 connected to the internet nor do I want it connected to the internet. I'm not into leader boards

and all that other crap and it's nonsense my son can't use the extra levels I've paid for him to have without saying hi to sony online

each and every time. Nowhere did I read that was part of the DLC deal.

Shawn

• Like 1

Just got off the horn withe customer service. Looks like I'm forced to go online each time to validate the license for the DLC. What a fucking joke. Not like

that couldn't just be done in an initialization file with DLC=1 vs DLC=0 stored on your console, offline, without them mining your usage data to analyze stats

to sell you more shit or sell to other companies to sell you more shit based on that data cause clearly thats all it is. :x

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. The PS3 subforum has a sticky about 'PS3 games with DRM crap'... looks like it's time to start a PS4 sticky too.

That DLC you've purchased would probably also disappear if you decide to skip an update patch download? Not sure if PS4 is the same, but on PS3 games I frequently skip patches if I'm only playing offline and want to play right away. Download the patch later. But, skipping the patch also signs you out of PSN. It would suck if all your paid DLC was no longer usable just because you want to play the version of the game that's already on your system.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. The PS3 subforum has a sticky about 'PS3 games with DRM crap'... looks like it's time to start a PS4 sticky too.

That DLC you've purchased would probably also disappear if you decide to skip an update patch download? Not sure if PS4 is the same, but on PS3 games I frequently skip patches if I'm only playing offline and want to play right away. Download the patch later. But, skipping the patch also signs you out of PSN. It would suck if all your paid DLC was no longer usable just because you want to play the version of the game that's already on your system.

Well you can put both Minecraft and Trials Fusion on that list. What a fuckin' joke.

• Like 1

Just got off the horn withe customer service. Looks like I'm forced to go online each time to validate the license for the DLC. What a fucking joke. Not like

that couldn't just be done in an initialization file with DLC=1 vs DLC=0 stored on your console, offline, without them mining your usage data to analyze stats

to sell you more shit or sell to other companies to sell you more shit based on that data cause clearly thats all it is. :x

I completely agree, and to be honest they have nobody to point the blame at but themselves for this. I'm assuming not all DLC on the PS4 need an online connection to work. I know the DLC I have on my ps3 doesn't at least. So this would mean they chose to require you to log in. Apparently Sony's encryption and other such DRM wasn't enough for the likes of Mojang. Never felt the slightest urge to buy any DLC on the consoles for the game though, since it's all gimped stuff that was always available and free on the PC. (mostly skins and texture/resource packs.)

I just checked the PS3 addons - they don't mention anything about an online requirement. I won't be touching them regardless.

If you want to have some extra fun, go to the ps4 store and take a look at the size of the downloads. On the ps3 they were all 200kb files. To me that basically means "unlock code".

If that's true, it means not only did you pay for the content on your disc, they're making you connect to the internet to use it even after forking over the cash.

• Like 1

Incidentally, is this how all DLC works on the PS4?

Yes and no. Sony allows publishers to require 'always on' internet connectivity (ala what Microsoft originally wanted), but they do not mandate it and have publicly said no Sony first party studios will implement it. As far as I know, only Mojang and Ubisoft are actually using it, and so far only with DLC. Probably testing the waters to see how much backlash there is.

• Like 1

Right, the main rule of thumb is know who is behind the game your looking to get and do some research on your purchase. I got screwed over by Activision and Capcom in the past. Mojang is no more, Minecraft is the property of Microsoft and is now a subsidiary of Microsoft...they may eventually just dump the name. Ubisoft is and always WILL implement DRM in some form in their games. (They are far worse on PC than console).

In my opinion Ubisoft and EA are the absolute worst offenders (mainly on PC). They pull servers early, charge for inane DLC and release broken games on day 1 not to mention 'monetizing' the shit out free to play games.

In the future check the PS3 forums here for a pinned thread (although its kind of old) on DRM and check online with info and reviews.

• Like 2

To answer your question from the top down, albeit harshly.. People like DLC, freedom from physical media, lower costs. The have spoken with their wallet and consume this crap like 240! Like it's the second coming or something. The only 2 ways around this growing problem is to vote with your wallet and choose your games very carefully.

Too bad we can't have SD card capacity cartridges. After all, if BigBox can give away free 32GB SD with each camera purchase - that means the memory is cheap enough. Literally, it cost like a buck or two to make a 32Gb module! Gotta be cheaper and more convenient than all this network infrastructure!

Whupps! There we are, back to convenience. I thought online DLC was supposed to be the ULTIMATE example of convenience? It would seem that cartridges would win the race. And, AND, why not make DLC a one-time thing, and just load it onto your spacious $2.00 flash chip? A one time deal. Never happen because of the need to micro-milk profits. Ugh..