IGNORED

Tempest's New Gameroom (v5)

Tempest

I have a very similar setup with my old PC (not the game room!). Have a Dell Optiplex GX1 and IBM Model M13 keyboard (black). Roland MT-32.

I think we're both on Vogons, so you may have seen my posts on the GX1. Another member alerted me to the Ctrl-Alt-\ combo, which will slow down your computer. For instance, mine came stock with a PII-333, and the combo slowed it to a 286-12 level. I upgraded to a PIII-700, and the combo slows it to a 386-33 level. Very useful for old DOS games.

I got rid of the GX-1 since it was randomly shutting itself off (something may have been shorting out). Now I have a IBM PC350 which is a Pentium 200 but there are dip switches which can slow it down as low as a P-90. I need to wire them up so they're accessable from the outside of the case rather than the motherboard though.

• 7 months later...

I've moved some stuff around since then, but the bulk of it is still the same. The Adam still has a home on my desk. :)

Ah, I'm glad to read that. Probably after about 2 years my ADAM printer started having major problems. I pretty quickly moved on to using my C64 almost exclusively and out went the ADAM. Still gives me some warm fuzzy to see it photos though. My friend and I were so hyped to want/buy that system. We LOVED our ColecoVisions so we looked at this like a super system and it seemed like such a good deal price wise. Of course we could only afford it once it finally went on clearance after being plagued by production problems. I will say I just went on Ebay and I'm shocked by how much they're going for these days. I guess I should have held onto it a couple more decades.

Anyway, I LOVE LOVE what you've done with your room. I wish I could be so organized. The wood tables are VERY cool too.

• Like 1

Chill out is right. Being in the basement means it gets COLD down there. Then again, at least my systems won't overheat. :)

How extreme are the seasonal temperature swings down there? I'd imagine boards warping and chips unseating might be a concern over time.

How extreme are the seasonal temperature swings down there? I'd imagine boards warping and chips unseating might be a concern over time.

It's actually not THAT bad, there are heating vents down there after all. Actually it gets colder the milder the weather gets because the heat doesn't come on as much (we've been in the low 40's and I'm freezing more than I did when we were in the teens). In the summer it's nice and cool so it never gets too hot down there. My wife knitted me some fingerless gloves so I can game without my hands getting too cold.

I need to get a thermometer down there and see what the range is. I really have no idea. I'd guess somewhere between 50 and 68 depending on the time of year

• Like 1