IGNORED

What Is Your Favorite Atari Home Console?

Shawn

What is your favorite Atari Home Console?  

223 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Atari Home Console?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I voted 5200 because that's the Atari console which means the most to me and is my sentimental favorite.

But the 2600 is the one which is my playtime favorite because there are so many games and so many favorite games.

And the 7800 is the convenience favorite. The default 7800 library isn't that great or wide ranging, but the additional 2600 compatibility makes it preferable to keep hooked up compared to a VCS. Plus, the controller ports and difficulty switches on the front are so much more accessible than a standard Woody 2600. Then there are the modern homebrews which simply shouldn't be missed.

• Like 2

I voted 5200 because that's the Atari console which means the most to me and is my sentimental favorite.

But the 2600 is the one which is my playtime favorite because there are so many games and so many favorite games.

And the 7800 is the convenience favorite. The default 7800 library isn't that great or wide ranging, but the additional 2600 compatibility makes it preferable to keep hooked up compared to a VCS. Plus, the controller ports and difficulty switches on the front are so much more accessible than a standard Woody 2600. Then there are the modern homebrews which simply shouldn't be missed.

Well spoken, My thoughts exactly and why I voted 5200 as well!

My favorite has changed over time and probably will again. Right now, I am so into 7800 because it has the 2600 compatability with the chance for some better new games. I still hope the concerto cart comes out soon. I think that would really be a boost for 7800.

Edited by SIO2

The VCS, YEAH!! I can program it myself with a computer, an sdcard, and a Harmony cart! I really love the SEGA titles for the system, and so many other games that landed over the years that just didn't seem possible! Games like Rampage, Spy Hunter, Double Dragon (7800 version is just AWESOME!), Kung Fu Master, Commando, Ghostbusters, Tapper, 4K Pac-man and other homebrew-to-legend games like Princess Rescue make it a sweet system even for today!! A couple of games were considerably better than the Arcade counterparts for the day, like Asteroids (although we called it A$$-turd-roids!!)! People thinks it sucks, but they forget that the first batches of games were limited by expensive silicon and were trapped in 2K and 4K land where programmers couldn't really express too greatly the true abilities of the hardware! It wasn't until much later that the 1 MEG for $1000 mark was reached, in the time of Atari as home computer only! Imagine hearing that you had to fit something like Frogger or Zaxxon into as little as 4K or 2K because of the expense of the chip! But, they DID IT!!

I love programming games for my Atari systems!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with most that the 5200 is cool and all, but it really does just port 400/800 games! The computers let you use standard return-to-center joysticks and you can program on them! The XEGS may as well be a SUPER-5200 that doesn't play 5200 carts! This would be for a different topic, but how many 5200 games didn't come out originally on the 400/800/XL/XE systems? They even ported Gremlins!! I loved my 5200 for the handful of days the controllers worked and then I felt like the refurbished-5200-controller market was just waiting for those hardcore 5200 addicts. I would personally pick an XEGS with the keyboard upgrade (unlocks the built in basic) over a 5200. Heck, the XEGS even hooks up to an RCA in on your tv without mods!! I really like the 5200, but it is just a 400/800 port system at heart.

ahem..2600 YEAH!!! :dunce:

Edited by Papa

I love the 5200 and have since I got mine in 1982, but if I had to keep only one of my Atari consoles, I would keep the 2600. There are a ton more games for it with more coming out all the time.

(As for the XEGS, I have plenty of Atari 8-bit computers, so it's never been a favorite of mine when it comes to consoles.)