IGNORED

What Is Your Favorite Atari Home Console?

Shawn

What is your favorite Atari Home Console?  

223 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Atari Home Console?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Even though I did have a 2600 as a kid and loved it, the Jaguar was my 2600 as a teen and because I managed to get so involved in tracking down beta games/hardware and actually being able to talk to developers right at when the internet was really catching on in the mid-90s and so-on, it's just always struck a chord within. I really would love to be able to sit down with Sam Tramiel and just talk to him without him feeling like he'd be attacked or insulted at how everything turned out as a result. Just a lot of un-answered questions I would love to ask and kind of get more in the mind of the guy who headed it all at the very end.

To say it's my abosolute favorite would be unfair though. I started with 2600 and had a library of over 600 carts before moving on to the 5200 and 7800 and eventually the 800, Lynx then Jaguar almost concurrently. At one point in time, I had nearly every game (excluding super rarities) across every Atari console just by mostly collecting locally at flea markets and goodwills when the games could be had as little as 25 cents each up to maybe a few bucks at most. Then there were a bunch of friends I would ask their parents about Atari and they would pull whatever they have from the attic and give them to me - same went for my family members who kept their 2600s tucked away in the garage, closet or attic. I would end up with lots of 30-40 games here and there and traded the ones I didn't need for ones I didn't have. Seriously has to be one of the most fascinating times in my life. I'm sure everyone else was just like, why is this kid so high-strung over Atari games... :)

20 years later, I regret ridding most of my collection but at the time, I was struggling with materialistic ownership of things and wanted to shift my focus and money elsewhere because I knew I was starting to spend far too much money into what was only supposed to be a hobby.

• Like 1

Has to be the 2600 for myself (and another vote for best Xmas present, ever!!!).My folks bought it for me after i'd had a ZX81, so it was GASP!! colour graphics, sound!, instant loading...plus it seemed all my mates had 1.It seemed to be in all the UK homes (at least thats what it felt like).Plus the games had such fantastic artwork.

Not touched one for years, but so many memories of Defender, Combat, Jungle Hunt, Kangaroo,Moon Patrol, Battlezone, Pitfall, Ms Pac Man etc etc.

Honestly don't think i've ever had a childhood machine that meant so much to me (was a teenager by time i had the Mega Drive).

With Lynx and Jaguar i seem to spend more time thinking what could of been (and trying to find out, software wise) and as for the XEGS? as an ex-800XL owner at the time, it just seemed like a desperate move by Atari and the games too old hat to be taken seriousily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've only had experience with the much poo poo'd 5200 and the Lynx. Concidering the controllers on the 5200 eventually broke during the time most of my friends were getting nintendos I'll have to say the Lynx. I play mine almost every day after my friend reminded me
that I had one!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going with the XEGS. It feels like a much greater leap over the VCS than the 7800 feels over it (even though the XEGS itself came out after). The games are a lot more exciting to me. I like the 7800 fine, but it's library felt like a lot of the same games we already saw, but with slightly prettier graphics and worse sound. The homebrew that's been released is leveling the playing field though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The Jaguar, followed closely by the XEGS.

The XEGS was my very first gaming system and the Jaguar was the first I ever had to work for to buy. Both hold super sweet spots in my heart. The worst of these two for me is, after attaining every single official release CIB for both systems, I'm in a small unit atm where I can't even display these beauties! And that's another favourite thing about these two systems: the box art! Out of all the various computer and console systems from the 70's up till today, my absolute favourite are tied between the blue-box XEGS and the sleek Jag boxes!! :lust: :lust:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a tough one since the 2600 was my childhood for me and for others as well. Phoenix and Berzerk were the ones I played for hours and as I fast-forward to now, owning a 5200, 7800, Jaguar and Lynx, I find myself leaning towards the 5200 as my favorite with the Jaguar a VERY close second. With games such as Krazy Shoot-Out, Gremlins, Berzerk (with speech) plus many conversions coming out lately, have I played Atari today? Everyday with my 5200 (with 15 pin adapter and gamepad of course!)