IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure, I've not used ROMVault. I tested with ClrMamePro which didn't appear to have any problems with custom tags in a DAT file.

I did a quick check and I wasn't able to find anything that indicated custom tags were disallowed in a DAT.

On 6/19/2023 at 4:06 AM, Farb said:

I'm not sure, I've not used ROMVault. I tested with ClrMamePro which didn't appear to have any problems with custom tags in a DAT file.

I did a quick check and I wasn't able to find anything that indicated custom tags were disallowed in a DAT.

Confirmed with the ROMVault dev that custom tags are not supported. I found the file format definition for ClrMamePro-style DATs here:

http://www.logiqx.com/DatFAQs/CMPro.php

13 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Sorry to rant but why don't its parser just ignore unexpected tags?

And why does the developer not immediately pick up this small issue and add that feature to the parser? Obviously the tool is actively developed.

Yeah, I agree it should ignore unexpected tags, but as the ClrMamePro DAT format is non-standard it has to have a custom parser written, and I guess he just followed the spec verbatim. Most DAT files I see these days are in XML format, which is super easy to parse with standard tools. RomVault is a GREAT rom manager though, nothing else comes close imo... except for this issue :P

What are the custom tags used for in this case? Something on the a8p site?

6 hours ago, dukdukgoos said:

What are the custom tags used for in this case? Something on the a8p site?

It's attributes specific to the Atari that may be needed (and change) on a release by release basis even within the same title. For example, minimum memory, OS-B required, basic version, artifacting on/off.

2 hours ago, gnusto said:

It's attributes specific to the Atari that may be needed (and change) on a release by release basis even within the same title. For example, minimum memory, OS-B required, basic version, artifacting on/off.

As it sounds like this is useful information to retain, for now I'm just going to manually remove the lines from the DAT I use in RomVault. Maybe the RomVault developer will update his parser at some point. We also might consider changing the DAT format to the XML-based one. Not sure if this would fix the issue with RomVault, but it's probably better in any case to use XML if you're tracking rich data in the file (more extensible, flexible data structures, easier for other tools to parse/use the data, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for the kryoflux experts here.  I have an old Monroe OC-8820 business computer that uses a proprietary form of the CPM operating system.  I don't have any bootable disks but there are disk images online in TD0 format.  The machine uses Micropolis 5.25" drives that have the standard 34pin edge connector used on old PC drives.  I was actually able to connect the drive to my Atari using my Percom drive as the interface.  Would I be able to use a Kryoflux to write a disk image to the drive?  Does the Kryoflux software work with TD0 images or would I need to convert it to something else? Thanks!

1 hour ago, tep392 said:

I have a question for the kryoflux experts here.  I have an old Monroe OC-8820 business computer that uses a proprietary form of the CPM operating system.  I don't have any bootable disks but there are disk images online in TD0 format.  The machine uses Micropolis 5.25" drives that have the standard 34pin edge connector used on old PC drives.  I was actually able to connect the drive to my Atari using my Percom drive as the interface.  Would I be able to use a Kryoflux to write a disk image to the drive?  Does the Kryoflux software work with TD0 images or would I need to convert it to something else? Thanks!

I remember TD0. They are Sydex Teledisk files, Teledisk being a PC DOS program. Most densities are supported. http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sydex/Teledisk_1.05_Sep88.pdf

Kryoflux does not know anything about Teledisk.

Edited by TZJB

5 hours ago, tep392 said:

Does the Kryoflux software work with TD0 images or would I need to convert it to something else?

I don't know if the Kryoflux software supports TD0 images; probably it doesn't. But HxC software does support TD0 images and should be able to convert the image to a format that you could use to write back the disk with the Kyroflux.

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/

Edited by ijor
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Calling all preservationists!!! I recently spent some considerably large coinage on 4-5 rare Atari 8 bit titles that have no known dump/releases on Atarimania. I want to preserve these to share with the community; my 1050 crapped out and I'm swamped with repair projects... I did the basics- head cleaning, greased the rails, lubed the motors... still all 'boot error' on screen. I will delve into repairs and or 'happy' upgrades later.

WHAT I NEED TO HELP EVERYONE ELSE:  The SAFEST route (i.e., not sending original rare titles) perhaps is to borrow a known working disk drive... 1050 or otherwise. I have several A8s to work with. IF the best backup method is to use a borrowed drive with RespeQt or AspeQt, or with an a borrowed 10502PC Sio2PC USB REV2 with KAFAR software, I'm all ears.  The same may be true for working with a borrowed KryoFlux option. I've no experience with this hardware though. Admittedly, these routes are a pain in the butt... leading to:

I am also VERY open [if not preferred] to LOANING these games (or even selling/trading to recuperate costs?) to the right preservationist.  I'm not a collector... I bought them exclusively to share; and to preserve them. Please note that anyone I am willing to ship these games to must be known and verified by the Atari community as trustworthy and a capable preservationist... in this thread and or in PM.

My reputation: I have had good trades here. I am still managing the change of my OG handle 'Seastalker' to my current one with the 'Returns' part to accommodate the new forum so I am not the newbie I appear to be. It is what it is. [Albert, please respond to my many requests for your administrative help!]  I am also in the MiSTer forum. PMs are good, but I'll need some trust verification before sending these rarities... Some names in this thread may be great candidates.  If anyone wants to fix/mod my 1050 to working order, I may consider but don't want to take advantage of what I could eventually do myself.

My 1st and only goal here is to preserve these handful of games and accompanying manuals. As to the exact titles, I'd prefer to stir the pot with an air of mystery, at least for now...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, seastalker_returns said:

Calling all preservationists!!! I recently spent some considerably large coinage on 4-5 rare Atari 8 bit titles that have no known dump/releases on Atarimania. I want to preserve these to share with the community; my 1050 crapped out and I'm swamped with repair projects... I did the basics- head cleaning, greased the rails, lubed the motors... still all 'boot error' on screen. I will delve into repairs and or 'happy' upgrades later.

Don't use Atarimania as an idea of what has or has not been dumped. Use the https://www.a8preservation.com/ site. It is much more up to date with what has been archived.

Since it's just 4-5 titles, can you list them here and we can tell you if they have been archived with the latest tools (Kyroflux-type) or not. Also I can help you figure out if they boxes, manuals, etc., have been archived.

22 hours ago, seastalker_returns said:

IF the best backup method is to use a borrowed drive with RespeQt or AspeQt, or with an a borrowed 10502PC Sio2PC USB REV2 with KAFAR software, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the offer to the community. If they are truly rare and undumped, please don't use them in an Atari 1050. There are folks here that have Kryoflux, SuperCard Pro and/or Greaseweazle (and experience using them) which are much safer options.  But you've probably already seen this mentioned many times in this thread 😁

Perhaps @Bill Lange or @Pheonix could assist? If I'm not mistaken, they are not terribly far from you.

6 hours ago, Allan said:

Don't use Atarimania as an idea of what has or has not been dumped. Use the https://www.a8preservation.com/ site. It is much more up to date with what has been archived.

Since it's just 4-5 titles, can you list them here and we can tell you if they have been archived with the latest tools (Kyroflux-type) or not. Also I can help you figure out if they boxes, manuals, etc., have been archived.

Thank you for the more updated site than AtariMania. Just checked there and can confirm the 4 games have not been dumped yet. One title does not even have a search result. They are all by the same company. No boxes- just disks with original text labels and 3 out of 4 have original instruction sheets (1 page each).  The 5th title is by SSI; I see it has been dumped, but that was an afterthought.

From here and from PM, I am swayed to heed the advice of not using my (nor any) 1050 for this. I haven't put them in any drive yet and likely won't, at least until they are safely shared with the community.

I think I just need to loan these to the best archive candidate... as Farb suggests... "folks here that have Kryoflux, SuperCard Pro and/or Greaseweazle (and experience using them) which are much safer options."

If atariage forum members green light anyone here for the task, I'm game. I'd guess mailing to one is about as safe as the other. If anyone up for the job is now currently in the southeast of the USA, I'm here for a while anyway and could possibly even meet up. PM me please.  Otherwise, Atari peeps, where should I send these rare titles for preservation? 

27 minutes ago, seastalker_returns said:

If atariage forum members green light anyone here for the task, I'm game. I'd guess mailing to one is about as safe as the other. If anyone up for the job is now currently in the southeast of the USA, I'm here for a while anyway and could possibly even meet up. PM me please.  Otherwise, Atari peeps, where should I send these rare titles for preservation? 

I can do it if you don't have someone closer. I'm in Portland OR and have the tools and the community trust.

-Kay

13 hours ago, Allan said:

With all due respect, use both sites concurrently as we also have many references that don't exist elsewhere. For a number of reasons, checking both places will make the archiving process easier and more efficient, even if the disks end up on https://www.a8preservation.com first.

• Like 4