IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Hi @Farb

I finally got my hands on a Juno First tape, this is somewhat elusive.

I checked on the A8Preservation site and I can see that a tape image is missing, this isn't even listed there.

Please find attached to this post the FLAC for each of the tape sides, its corresponding CAS file (made using a8cas-convert.exe v1.3.1), and an image scan of each side of the tape, together with some screenshots.

I made the FLAC files using Audacity. I made sure to select "None" on Dither, under the High-Quality section of the Preferences.

I tested the FLAC files using Altirra. Unfortunately, loading the FLAC for Side B fails, although a valid CAS file was successfully generated from it.

I hope you list me as a contributor on A8Preservation's Juno First tape entry.

If you need anything else, just let me know.

Kind regards.

Luis.

jfirst-b.jpg

jfirst-a.jpg

jfirst-scr3.png

jfirst-scr2.png

jfirst-scr1.png

jfirst-b.cas jfirst-a.cas jfirst-b.flac jfirst-a.flac

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

make sure everything is clean, fast forward and rewind the tape a few times, giving it the slight hand rattle in between. Maybe some level adjustment and another attempt on side b will yield better results. If that fails perhaps some wave files will allow manual adjustments to adjust any drops or pops out of the stream. Then it should process better.

Thanks for these @lbaeza

Using Altirra, both FLACs seem to load okay for me. 🤔

One thing I do notice is that yours FLACs are single track only. Are you able to capture the stereo output of the tapes as ideally we wish to preserve both.

Most times the left-hand track will simply be a copy of the right-hand track or simply mute. However, on some cassettes this can contain music/dialogue.

But for these scenarios we'd prefer both tracks for preservation purposes.

Hi @Atarigrub

I will do my best to get my hands on my stereo deck to make stereo FLACs, hopefully during this weekend.

Unfortunately the cassette came without box and instructions, I suspect this might have been part of those Datasoft packs that came with the disk and cassette, I am aware Bruce Lee came like this.

Kind regards,

Luis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lbaeza said:

Hi @Atarigrub

Attached to this post you can find the stereo version of the FLACs for both sides of the cassette.

I tried them on Altirra and they load just fine.

Kind regards.

Luis.

jfirst-stereo-b.flac 62.97 MB · 1 download jfirst-stereo-a.flac 61.99 MB · 1 download

Thanks for providing these @lbaeza 👍

• Like 1

My view on this is the A8 Game Pack is already an MDB (Ms Access database) which includes parameters for launching old 8 bit stuff.  That or something like it should be used to log all of the requirements to successfully launch the 40 year old softwares instead of people saying this one requires OSb and this one requires OSa on forum messages. When we find a "key" game like Starraiders which I can only get to load via the starraider.rom file in Altirra by saying load cartridge and choosing it, THAT should maybe require discussion to say oh yeah A8 can load it if you use 800 system or 130XE with the translator so it can be fixed to work through the database menu setting the right options for us?

The current approach just ensures we have loads of old files nobody will ever load to waste bandwidth and not address or narrow the list to the good stuff which remains incomplete but looks bloated IMO 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ray Gillman said:

My view on this is the A8 Game Pack is already an MDB (Ms Access database) which includes parameters for launching old 8 bit stuff.  That or something like it should be used to log all of the requirements to successfully launch the 40 year old softwares instead of people saying this one requires OSb and this one requires OSa on forum messages. When we find a "key" game like Starraiders which I can only get to load via the starraider.rom file in Altirra by saying load cartridge and choosing it, THAT should maybe require discussion to say oh yeah A8 can load it if you use 800 system or 130XE with the translator so it can be fixed to work through the database menu setting the right options for us?

The current approach just ensures we have loads of old files nobody will ever load to waste bandwidth and not address or narrow the list to the good stuff which remains incomplete but looks bloated IMO 

I'm not quite getting your meaning here. For a8preservation purposes, Atari environment dependencies aren't picked up from some random forum post, they are tested by running the software. I've double checked every single game entry in the latest a8 distribution for my own project and only a few were off, which I've noted and have available for Farb. The database is reflective of the environment needed for the original media as received by a8preservation. Which may come in different forms and require different environments for each release, and when that happens all variants are preserved. As good as it is it's not possible for the A8 Game Pack to be fully accurate on this point, as many games were not dumped in ATX format at the time it was created.

If it bothers you that space is used to preserve in original format, there are a variety of resources that have the good stuff cracked and adapted easiest use approach which works both for real hardware and emulators (Homesoft, fandal, etc). But there are certainly people who don't consider the old files in their original form a waste - I'm one of them, for instance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray Gillman said:

I was referring to the A8 game pack. I haven't found the A8 preservation to check it out yet because nobody seeds anything any more hah!

I was thinking more like the it would be great to get Star Raiders and a few others added to the A8 game pack it

image.thumb.png.4dcd40f3b021557944a2071bfa4f686b.png

That's an extremely old version, which is why you probably don't see it seeded.

This post by Djaybee is the most recent, which I have continuously seeded since it was out (barring reboots and such). It does not come with a launching system (that is actually the thing I'm working on). If the size is imposing, load the torrent unstarted and unselect the top 8 files by size, they are all non games with large audio cassettes, for instance language tutors. That will reduce the download to about a quarter of the original size.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 4:09 PM, sargie said:

My server has been down but is usually seeding 24/7. It will be up again in a few hours. Sorry!

Do you have an updated torrent link? Maybe my 390.4MB link is an old torrent and not the latest?

Nevermind I didn't realize the arrow top right of your blue square had a link to another post with a links to the new 2023 torrent whew 2.11 GB thats a fat download for Atari stuff which is measured in 90K increments mostly 😃

Edited by Ray Gillman
  • Like 1

https://www.a8preservation.com/#/software/release/4661

recorded with an Technics TR-RS737 -> AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller (Onboard) -> Audacity 2.4.2 (cut and amplified) -> a8cas-convert 1.3.1

For some reason the A side cas file has a odd data length header which causes a boot error on the emulator. If the cas is converted back to wav and than played as a audio into a real tape deck connected to an 800XL the game starts fine. B side works.

Protector_cover.JPG

Protector_media.JPG

Protector.cas Protector.flac ProtectorB.cas ProtectorB.flac

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, smesgr said:

https://www.a8preservation.com/#/software/release/4661

recorded with an Technics TR-RS737 -> AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller (Onboard) -> Audacity 2.4.2 (cut and amplified) -> a8cas-convert 1.3.1

For some reason the A side cas file has a odd data length header which causes a boot error on the emulator. If the cas is converted back to wav and than played as a audio into a real tape deck connected to an 800XL the game starts fine. B side works.

Protector_cover.JPG

Protector_media.JPG

Protector.cas 28.19 kB · 10 downloads Protector.flac 62.38 MB · 0 downloads ProtectorB.cas 28.19 kB · 7 downloads ProtectorB.flac 62.65 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks @smesgr

The problem that you experience with Side A is the leader tone is too short (approx 8.5 secs) compared to Side B's 19 secs.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.a8preservation.com/#/software/release/2961

some of the entry I have send are now on the page. The games on page 107 not. Just a reminder if those was forgotten in the off topic discussion in between.

ColossusChess30_back.JPG

ColossusChess30_front.JPG

ColossusChess30_media.JPG

ColossusChess30.cas ColossusChess30.flac

• Like 2