IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

It sounds like scribd just isn't optimal for what needs to be accomplished. But then the questions is what alternative? Torrents are really great for efficiency of distribution (as long as there enough participants active), but have issues with being too transient. To me, a more or less permanent FTP site (or web) seems the best solution. But that requires hosting. Hosting can be "free" if one uses the hardware and internet connection they already have, along with a dynamic DNS service of some kind. Not quite data center reliability but perhaps good enough. But then, who volunteers to do that? It does put some restrictions on the volunteer in how they (re)allocate their private resources. Then there is the pay for hosting option... but who pays, and how?

Yes, if scribd has a hard limit than I will no longer use it. I personally have no plans to host a file transfer site so that's not going to be an option.

Thanks for the info on Internet Archive, R.Cade. I will look into that as an alternative.

Forgive me if this is a daft suggestion but can we not upload the zip file to a newsgroup? I for one have an account for downloading and there are plenty of free ways to download small amounts of data for anyone who currently does not have an account. I would be happy to upload to a suitable group if Farb was to send me the up-to-date zip file

I'll start slowly migrating the PDFs to Internet Archive here:

https://archive.org/details/@farb

This is probably a better solution than a torrent so people can just grab the ones they want. It might get unwieldy for people to re-download everything when a new torrents is released.

Edited by Farb

Most torrent client software will let you "check" a torrent before starting. What I've been doing is pointing each new torrent to the old directory and it usually keeps (80%-90%) of the stuff. However on this last torrent for some reason I had to re-download the whole thing.

Yes, most clients let you choose which parts of a torrent you want. But if new files need to be added, it is a new torrent file, and does not fit in with the previous torrent.

Actually, if you point the new torrent toward the old directory and do a "force recheck" it will check all the old data that is still present in the new torrent and won't redownload it (as long as the MD5 checksum matches). And yes, Farb, if you need somebody to seed a PDF torrent, I could put it up on my seedbox alongside the other. My seedbox is up 24/7, except for the odd reboot (damn you Windows update!)

• Like 1

And yes, Farb, if you need somebody to seed a PDF torrent, I could put it up on my seedbox alongside the other. My seedbox is up 24/7, except for the odd reboot (damn you Windows update!)

I was referring to actually creating/maintaining a torrent. I just want to personally maintain one distribution channel and I think Internet Archive may be it. It would be nice if someone else would pick up maintaining a torrent from there.

I was referring to actually creating/maintaining a torrent. I just want to personally maintain one distribution channel and I think Internet Archive may be it. It would be nice if someone else would pick up maintaining a torrent from there.

OK, I think I could do that. I will grab the stuff thats up there now and build a torrent and start seeding it. Where should I post the torrent for others to grab?

Its gonna take a bit to pull it together. I will be including all the different formats within the torrent, but I will make it so ppl can just download the format they want without downloading all of it. The site is fairly slow as well, but I should have something going by tomorrow.

Well then, here is the first torrent. The option for PDF with TEXT didnt work on a few of the files, so they arent included. The rest of the formats are there. You should be able to pick and choose which files you want out of the torrent. I will add new stuff as it is posted to Farb's internet.org site.

Have at it!

P.S. Had to RAR the torrent to get it to upload.

Atari 8-Bit Game Manuals.rar

Edited by Dragon375

From here on I will only be sending out the PDF version of these game manuals in this torrent. If you want it in other formats, please refer to Farb's excellent internet.org site. He is the main authority on this initiative and his site contains the same manuals in many different formats. Since the PDF format has become so common, most people will be able to view this format. It will reduce the size of the torrent and increase the download speed.

The current torrent contains all of the formats contained on Farb's site, but future updates will only contain the PDF files.

Thanks for putting the torrent together, Dragon375. PDF is the original (and only) format I upload to archive.org. The site automatically generates the other formats from that (with varying degrees of success it appears).

If you click on 'Show all', the original uploaded file is generally the largest size file listed and is usually the best quality.

Allan

Thanks Allan! I didnt realize the rest of the files were auto-generated by the site. When there are updates available, I will trim the torrent down to just PDFs. Meanwhile, I will continue to seed the original as there are peers on it. Time heals all wounds :P

It was kind of fun getting that digitized. Back in the day I owned only a few commercial titles on cassette. From memory they were:

• Zaxon
  • Star League Baseball
  • The Temple of Apshai

Star League Baseball ROCKED!! One of my early purchases. Best friend and I played it back in the day, and have played it ever since to this day. Now we use emulation, but that game ROCKED!! Many intense battles.

Here's the latest version of the software torrent...

Someone see the latest!! One seeder, and I am no connectiong. My computer is on 24x and I will seed if I can get it so I can share it. It is small enough, you should use an Uploaded to file Gator or similar account.

Edited by scotty