IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

39 minutes ago, SenorRossie said:

Use a different tool to unzip the file. The command line unzip program has problems with unicoded filenames, is my personal experience with debian (raspbian) and Ubuntu.

Except that this clearly recognizes the correct name from the local entry.  It is showing that the central directory at the end is incorrect.

Additionally, the command line version of 7zip does not name the files correctly either.

Edited by evilmoo
additional information

16 minutes ago, evilmoo said:

Except that this clearly recognizes the correct name from the local entry.  It is showing that the central directory at the end is incorrect.

Additionally, the command line version of 7zip does not name the files correctly either.

It probably has to to with an unsupported (windows proprietary) codepage. See this link: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/251969/how-can-i-correctly-decompress-a-zip-archive-of-files-with-hebrew-names

• Like 2

22 hours ago, evilmoo said:

The .zip file here throws some odd errors when I unzip it under Linux:

Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25/Ϻ+���Ϻ+�Ϯ (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip:  mismatching "local" filename (Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25/الطاقة (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip),
         continuing with "central" filename version
 extracting: Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2020-01-25/Ϻ+���Ϻ+�Ϯ (198x)(aDawliah)(SA)[cartridge].zip  

Any idea what's going on here?  The "local" name appears to be the correct encoding, at least as far as InfoZip unzip is concerned.

Good morning, @evilmoo,

I don't have anything to add to the responses you've already seen from others as to the unZIPping issue you're experiencing, except to say that the ZIP file I host from the Atari Preservation efforts is directly (via torrent) from the people behind the project and I have every confidence that they verify and re-verify an archive before releasing it to the Atari 8-bit community.

I simply host the archive at my server as an option for people who prefer not to use torrent as a method of file retrieval. :)

--Tim

The ZIP files are created using Clrmamepro from the .DAT file included in every torrent release. If I extract the ZIP on Windows 10 with PowerArchiver, I don't see any problem. So it is possible that Clrmamepro does something that unzip doesn't like.

One suggestion would be to run Clrmamepro against what has been unzipped which should (in theory) correct any file naming problems.

Good morning, Farb!

I am FINALLY working my way through my floppy disk collection and found an original copy of Dodgeracer.

I am attaching an .atr and .pro file as I don't know right now where I have my kyroflux or whatever it's called that provides a physical-level copy. I'm sure it's in a drawer... somewhere. /facepalm

The log files may be helpful with cracking the program...?

Hope this helps!

--Tim

DodgeRacer (Synapse) uncracked.zip

DodgeRacer (Synapse) disk scan.jpg

Edited by Timothy Kline
Added image of original disk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Timothy Kline said:

The log files may be helpful with cracking the program...?

First up: Nice find! :thumbsup:

I highly doubt that this disk is protected in any way.

IMHO all these bad and duplicate sectors are due to bit-rot of the disk itself.

Only sector 16 belongs to a used area of the disk and fortunately the ATR already contains the correct data. (The PRO contains a duplicate of the sector with one byte differing.)

For the sake of completeness I fixed the not needed bad sectors in this ATR: Dodge Racer (1981)(Synapse)(US)[f][BASIC][OS-B].atr

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timothy Kline said:

Found a couple odd ducks that I can't seem to find either on AtariMania or a8Preservation...

Fantastic!

Though the first tape is just an audio tutorial and not software, it would be great to have it archived.

Alchemist is completely unknown but Aim Software titles keep turning up year after year. If you can't dump it as an original .wav file for the moment, can you CLOAD the game and save it on disk as a BASIC program? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timothy Kline said:

I am attaching an .atr and .pro file as I don't know right now where I have my kyroflux or whatever it's called that provides a physical-level copy. I'm sure it's in a drawer... somewhere.

Thanks for sharing, Tim.

Just as an FYI, making PRO images of protected disks can be extremely tough on the media (even to the point of destroying it sometimes). Synapse disks were some of the worst in this regard (both in amount of protection and poor quality of media), but fortunately, it sounds like this one is an early enough release to be an exception ? For example, after dumping 4-5 copies, we still have been unable to find a good copy of the original U.S. disk release of Blue Max!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tabar said:

FOUND professional software, inc. Fleet System 2 word processor/spell check. have disks, will not boot. waiting on a SIO2PC Universal Interface USB Interface w/ SIO JACK from AtariMax to make copy.

Hi tabar, it would be good to get a dump of these disks. We currently have one but need to verify it. Our program disk dump seems to have errors (possibly protection) on track 39. Our dictionary disk dump doesn't have any protection errors but is enhanced density.

Neither disk appears bootable. According to the manual, you had to load a DOS disk with BASIC, then insert the program disk and RUN"D1:BOOT".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farb said:

Thanks for sharing, Tim.

Just as an FYI, making PRO images of protected disks can be extremely tough on the media (even to the point of destroying it sometimes). Synapse disks were some of the worst in this regard (both in amount of protection and poor quality of media), but fortunately, it sounds like this one is an early enough release to be an exception ? For example, after dumping 4-5 copies, we still have been unable to find a good copy of the original U.S. disk release of Blue Max!

Good and glad to know about your experience with the ProSystem method, and I whole-heartedly agree with you RE: Synapse disks. The media's like tissue paper in their sleeves!! O.o

--Tim

2 hours ago, Farb said:

Hi tabar, it would be good to get a dump of these disks. We currently have one but need to verify it. Our program disk dump seems to have errors (possibly protection) on track 39. Our dictionary disk dump doesn't have any protection errors but is enhanced density.

Neither disk appears bootable. According to the manual, you had to load a DOS disk with BASIC, then insert the program disk and RUN"D1:BOOT".

I think you're correct about the copy protection because I had tried copying one of the copies I have here, and it bugged out somewhere around that point, as I recall.

That was quite a while ago. I should try it again, and check the other set, too.

In the meantime, here are the images I generated back in 2016...

--Tim

Fleet System 2.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you can change the settings so it only does one set of firmware retry.... clean disk, and clean heads, single attemp.... you don't want the heads grinding and moving back and forth on some of these relics... a kryo/scp is the safest way to go, and judging from the threads, it looks like it only ever takes about 2 tries every now and again, 3rd time was the charm for some... after that, they go forensic and try to piece together the information from the data stream... looking a little ahead or behind for something that makes sense...

Perhaps this is a controversial topic addressed in other parts of this thread or in other threads, but what are the most useful formats to output flux images to? Do any of them preserve protection? Or does all formats only work for unprotected/cracked disks?

I have a kryoflux board, 3.5 / 5.25 drives wired to a power supply. Is there single document on how to successfully create Atari 8 bit kryoflux images?  I have about several hundred Atari 8 bit flippies and a few thousand ST 720k floppies.  I would like to preserve everything I have, then down size to using Sdrive Maxx and Atr/Atx files.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Farb said:

OMG! Tried the "run" command and it booted! I had misplaced/lost the manual so i had forgotten about the way to boot it. WOW!

we implore kryofluxing/scp/or bitwriter rip of the disks if not possible at least and atx or happy copy or something... as they may only have one chance at working normally, and you just used that first shot....

Edited by _The Doctor__

I'm always willing to dump disks.  I just can't afford shipping costs.  I have a flippy modded 5.25" drive, a Kryoflux, and a 3.5" drive for systems that can use those (Atari ST, Amiga, etc...)  I have had some (limited) success repairing disks, but won't do anything to a disk without first asking permission.  Shipping costs can be pre-calculated with my zip (76706)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pheonix said:

I have a flippy modded 5.25" drive, a Kryoflux, and a 3.5" drive for systems that can use those (Atari ST, Amiga, etc...) 

4 hours ago, venom4728a said:

Is there single document on how to successfully create Atari 8 bit kryoflux images?

That's fine, bring your dumps in. ;)

Here you can find yome useful hints for dumping: http://a8preservation.com/#/guides/diskDumping

Edited by DjayBee
added venom4728a
  • Like 1

Can't find the edit button... Going blind I guess.  Changing the line "I'm always willing to dump disks" to "I'm always willing to dump disks for anyone that doesn't have the HW to do it themselves."  :)  Already dumped & uploaded (to various places) my entire library.  The only Atari 8-bit disks I have were sent for me to dump, and the senders didn't want them back, I let them do the uploading - which they did.  I have had people pay the return shipping on disks they sent me, but don't remember if any of them where Atari or not.  I know I've dumped a case of Amiga disks, and shipped those back (but those are the only ones I remember specifically.)  They were also the last ones I did.

OK, found the Edit button for this post, guess it gets disabled at some point.  After a response, maybe?

Edited by Pheonix