IGNORED

Programming high scores with three characters

atari2600land

I am hoping that someone here knows Odyssey 2 programming (or cpu 8048) because the Odyssey 2 forum I usually visit for help is a ghost town. What I'm trying to do is this: I have three characters (score_ones, score_tens, & score_huns) for the score, and three characters (hscore_ones, hscore_tens & hscore_huns) for the high score. I am trying to make all three digits change when a new high score has been reached. Everything I try has been unsuccessful. So I come back to this code and try again.

check_highscore
    mov r1,#hscore_ones
    mov a,@r1        ; get highscore
    cpl a            ; make highscore negative
    mov r0,#score_ones
    add a,@r0        ; subtract highscore from score
    jnc replace_highscore2

mov r1,#hscore_tens
    mov a,@r1        ; get red car speed
    mov r2,a        ; store in R2    

mov r0,#score_tens
    mov a,@r0
    xrl a,r2
    jz replace_highscore

replace_highscore2    
    mov r1,#hscore_tens
    mov a,@r1        ; get highscore
    cpl a            ; make highscore negative
    mov r0,#score_tens
    add a,@r0        ; subtract highscore from score
    jnc no_highscore    

replace_highscore

Unfortunately, only the first two digits would change (the hscore_ones and hscore_tens.) So if a player reaches 100 points and the current high score is, say. 94, it will still say 94 instead of 100 when the game is over. I want to incorporate the hundreds digit into this, but I can't seem to make anything work. It seems so simple, but I can't do it. I'm asking for help here.

I don't know 8048 machine code, but it seems to me that you are measuring the score backwards?

1. If the least digit (ones) is greater than the least digit of the highscore, update the highscore

2. If the second least digit (tens) is greater than the second least digit of the highscore, update

3. (code not shown as far as I can tell) If the most significant digit (hundreds) is greater ...

I.e. if you reverse the code order so first you check if the hundreds were greater, then tens and in the last case ones, perhaps your routine would work?

Also if the most significant digit was greater than the highscore, you probably want to update all three digits of the highscore instead of just the first one.

Only if the most significant digit is equal to the previous highscore, you need to check the following two:

Score: 101, highscore 099: only need to check the first digit

Score: 112, highscore 101: need to check the first two digits

Score: 119, highscore 112: need to check all three digits

Score: 099, highscore 112: only need to check the first digit

etc

Edited by carlsson

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget to test for all 3 outcomes. For each digit (100's, 10's, and 1's last), skip to the next digit check only if the result is equal in value. Otherwise...abandon the routine if the score digit is less than the highscore's, or set the new highscore if the score digit is greater than what highscore holds (all in that order).

Good call by Nukey that in the case the MSB of current score is less than the highscore, the routine should exit instead of continue.

I have never programmed 8048, but based on your code and a data sheet found online, I came up with this rough, untested code below.

However I have a few questions:

1. Aren't # values immediate constants? Do you store score as variables somewhere, perhaps as external memory so you need MOVX? Are those immediate offsets into external memory?

2. What is the difference between r0 and @r0? Is the latter used as a pointer to retrieve the value of the address pointed by the register?

3. Will ADD ignore the incoming carry flag and just set it based on result? I see there is an ADDC that handles incoming carry, so I suppose it is right.

4. How do you store values back to memory? As you can see, some of my code surely won't pass the assembler, but once you got the algorithm/logic set up, you can make adjustments to get the code to actually work.

(Note to self: Don't include text below a code block or similar, as this forum software appears to cut off messages at the ending of a such block)

check_highscore
    mov a,#hscore_huns
    cpl a
    mov r0,#score_huns
    add a,@r0
    jnc replace_highscore ; if score_huns > hscore_huns
    inc a
; after complement highscore and adding current score,
; the result will always be $FF in case those are equal,
; so increasing accumulator once will then make it zero
    jnz exit              ; if score_huns < hscore_huns

mov a,#hscore_tens