IGNORED

Magnavox Odyssey Expert Needed

Chaosg0d

Hi,

I was able to put my hand on an non-working Magnavox Odyssey, first run. On the back, where the list of patent should be engraved, there's a sticker with the list of patent and the word "Patent Pending" are engraved aboved. My guess, this is an early production model that was done prior of getting the patent approved, but I cant seem to find any information on that. I've look on all the major site that focus on the Magnavox and aside from a picture of a similar back, I didnt find anything.

Any of you would have any information?

Thanks!

post-37191-0-89818500-1423184489_thumb.jpg

It would seem to me you already answered your own question. It is simply an earlier variant that had a sticker applied to reflect the new patent approvals before it was shipped out.

What specific information are you wanting?

Edited by Retro-Z

Hi,

I was able to put my hand on an non-working Magnavox Odyssey, first run. On the back, where the list of patent should be engraved, there's a sticker with the list of patent and the word "Patent Pending" are engraved aboved. My guess, this is an early production model that was done prior of getting the patent approved, but I cant seem to find any information on that. I've look on all the major site that focus on the Magnavox and aside from a picture of a similar back, I didnt find anything.

Any of you would have any information?

Thanks!

You might try reaching out to the folks here:

http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm

It would seem to me you already answered your own question. It is simply an earlier variant that had a sticker applied to reflect the new patent approvals before it was shipped out.

What specific information are you wanting?

Well, I guess I was looking for a confirmation of my theory or even better an approximate date of production. I've follow the dating guide on pong-story.com (using the marking on the potentiometer) and it would give me a July 1972 production date. The problem is the the production data only started in August so it doesn't make any sense. I've contacted the folks at pong-story to ask them the question. They were kind enough to answer me, but the answer was that this dating method was not very accurate. According to them, unit made in 1972 can be as I describe, but in all the site I visit, I never saw this description.

Anyway, I guess that early production model is the best I will get :)

Thank you guys.

Well, I guess I was looking for a confirmation of my theory or even better an approximate date of production. I've follow the dating guide on pong-story.com (using the marking on the potentiometer) and it would give me a July 1972 production date. The problem is the the production data only started in August so it doesn't make any sense. I've contacted the folks at pong-story to ask them the question. They were kind enough to answer me, but the answer was that this dating method was not very accurate. According to them, unit made in 1972 can be as I describe, but in all the site I visit, I never saw this description.

Thank you guys.

I will try too look into it as best I can. Sorry I do not have an answer since ive been out of collecting for the odyssey for a bit.

Edited by Uppy

Thank you guys.

Talked to a few people and that answer I got was July 1972. Maybe right(probably right) maybe wrong. pong-story is a good site but can be inaccurate sometimes..

Edited by Uppy

Talked to a few people and that answer I got was July 1972. Maybe right(probably right) maybe wrong. pong-story is a good site but can be inaccurate sometimes..

Thank you so much Uppy. Your answer does match the marking on the potentiometer, so I guess a few system where produce in July before the "official" launch in August. There's not a lot of collector out there with good knowledge of this system, so I'm very grateful that you took the time to ask around and do some research. Thanks again!

Thank you so much Uppy. Your answer does match the marking on the potentiometer, so I guess a few system where produce in July before the "official" launch in August. There's not a lot of collector out there with good knowledge of this system, so I'm very grateful that you took the time to ask around and do some research. Thanks again!

Hopefully the info I gave is correct. But when it comes down to the odyssey info can become, I don't want to say wrong, but not accurate. The system was originally released in 1972 so info for the system is 40 years old. Crazy once you think about it. But if you did lay your hand(even non working) on an early production odyssey im jealous. I own 6 odyssey systems(2 from 1972) but none of my systems have that early of a production date.

Edited by Uppy