IGNORED

Recently acquired a Tandy RadioShack Color Computer 2

mozartpc27

To celebrate RadioShack's impending demise, no doubt. ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here had some expertise about the system, and if I could "borrow" it.

I am mostly a Commodore enthusiast when it comes to old computers (although I do have a Coleco ADAM), but, when I was a lad, my grade school at the Tandy RadioShack Color Computer 2 as the main computer in our computer lab (they probably had 15 or so, maybe more). I've always therefore had a soft spot for them, and recently I was able to acquire a Color Computer 2 on craigslist with a dot matrix printer, a modem, and a disk drive. I was very excited to get all this new stuff, but a little dismayed when I got it all out and home and discovered that whatever was used to connect the disk drive to the rest of the system appeared to be missing, as none of the included cables would fit it.

I've now done some basic research, and it looks like what I am missing is the color computer controller and spectra strip. I see there is a disk drive on ebay right now that probably doesn't work for $40 but does appear to have the necessary equipment. I really don't need to spend any more money on this right now, however, so before I proceed I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. What exactly do I need? Anyone have an "extra" controller and spectra strip they'd like to get to me? If not, where could I find such items? How much should I expect to pay?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I am new to the CoCo too... I got a CoCo 3 a couple years ago, and a CoCo2 about a year ago...

I bought a couple CoCo SDCs in NOV-2014. These are very nice Drive Replacements.

You need a Floppy Drive Interface and Cable.. If you get the very First Model, and want to use it on a CoCo 2 or CoCo 3, you will need to switch out the WD chip for the Fujitsu Chip.

You also need to be aware that the Drive you have might not work..

I got the Fujitsu MB8877A chips, then the 26-3022 Floppy Disk Controller, and then a practically new FD-500 Drive. They all work..

Then I got another FD-500 with a J&M Controller with Tandy ROMs. The J&M Controller Work fine, but the Drive itself won't Read or Write.. It Seeks Fine.. So I need another 180K or 360K Floppy Drive to make a second working Disk Unit...

I would keep following Craig's List and eBay.. Someone here might have a Spare Controller and Cable to sell you..

MarkO

Thanks, AtariLeaf. Good suggestion which I am following up on!

As said above, you need a disk controller. Here is a great site with information on the disk systems for the coco:

http://users.digitalindigo.net/~techno/coco_floppy.html

The cable from the controller to the disk drives is a simple straight through ribbon cable. Disk systems for the coco and simply external enclosures housing a power supply and the drives. Not like the C= and Atari drives that have cpus and all that. You can use any pc compatible 360K or 180K drives with the coco.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As said above, you need a disk controller. Here is a great site with information on the disk systems for the coco:

http://users.digitalindigo.net/~techno/coco_floppy.html

The cable from the controller to the disk drives is a simple straight through ribbon cable. Disk systems for the coco and simply external enclosures housing a power supply and the drives. Not like the C= and Atari drives that have cpus and all that. You can use any pc compatible 360K or 180K drives with the coco.

I was going to say that you can just use a PC MFM diskette drive cable, but you already covered that.

I bought a couple CoCo SDCs in NOV-2014. These are very nice Drive Replacements.

Hi MarkO, I'm getting CoCo 3 from cloud9tech. Do you know if these SDCs are still available?

I found this website: http://cocosdc.blogspot.com/

but unless I'm missing something, I don't see any mention of where/how to purchase them?

I do believe Cloud9tech is working on a new SuperSD solution, but not sure of the timeframe.

Thanks.

Hi MarkO, I'm getting CoCo 3 from cloud9tech. Do you know if these SDCs are still available?

I found this website: http://cocosdc.blogspot.com/

That is Darren's site.. He wrote the Firmware and Designed the Board, and made One Run of them, IIRC.

but unless I'm missing something, I don't see any mention of where/how to purchase them?

I do believe Cloud9tech is working on a new SuperSD solution, but not sure of the timeframe.

Thanks.

Because Darren wasn't going to make another run in 2014, Zippster, with Darren's permission Made at least One Run, if not Two..

I will contact Zippster and see what the Current Status is for CoCo SDCs.

You might want to join the CoCo ListServe @ Coco -- CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts.

MarkO

Hi MarkO, I'm getting CoCo 3 from cloud9tech.

Mark Marlette must be getting low on Coco 3's at this point. I bought one about a year ago with the new triad upgrade and at that point he mentioned he only had a few dozen left. And I recently bought a couple of game carts off of him and he told me he had 4 coco 3 systems to put together for buyers.

I've bought 3 Coco 3's from him since 2011. I think he bought pallets of them back when Tandy closed their warehouses. Pretty soon they'll probably be all gone.

Mark Marlette must be getting low on Coco 3's at this point...

Yes, he said he's getting low. If you want one, you'll have to get on the list for the few remaining.

I have never used a Color Computer before, but figured I'd get one to see what it's all about. I purchased a new old stock FD-502 drive to use with my TRS-80 but figured it would be nice to use it with a real Color Computer instead!

CoCO SDC Update....

Zippster just told me that Darren made Two Runs of 20, and Zippster has shipped ~180 of them for a total of 220 Units.. Zippster has 30 More PCB on Order, to be delivered soon, so if anyone else wants to order some, now is the time..

MarkO

I have just added another CoCo to the computer collection, I already have a CoCo 2 16k, and have just picked up an original CoCo2 64K complete with huge case and "melted" keyboard ;-)

Pics!

Is that the one with the white coco1 case? I always wanted one of those.

If you want to get into CoCO gaming, I can't recommend the CoCo SDC more highly. The entire CoCo archive gamelist has been formatted to work on the CoCoSDC (just put it on a SD card). Buy the CoCoSDC and get a case and you have hundreds of games plug and play. It even works with DriveWire and has several advanced functions, but the best feature for me is for straightforward access to gaming roms.

The list is here:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?45054-CocoSDC-adapter-kits

Also, this thread has all the needed information (thanks to v-c.com)

Wow! I see what you mean. That does look pretty awesome.

I followed the second link. I'm guessing the edge connector just plugs right into the side of the CoCo?

http://cocosdc.blogspot.com.au/

• Like 1

Wow! I see what you mean. That does look pretty awesome.

I followed the second link. I'm guessing the edge connector just plugs right into the side of the CoCo?

http://cocosdc.blogspot.com.au/

Yes. It acts like a cartridge, so it goes into the side or into a Multi-Pak.