IGNORED

What is your favorite NES Super Mario Brothers game?

Shawn

What is your favorite NES Super Mario Brothers game?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite NES Super Mario Brothers game?

• Super Mario Bros. 1
    • Super Mario Bros. 2j (aka lost levels)
    • Super Mario Bros. 2 (aka USA)
    • Super Mario Bros. 3

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So what is your favorite of the Super Mario games from the NES\Famicom? Super Mario 1 was such a step up in graphics compaired to what I was used to on the 2600 and 2j has a place in my heart as I was lucky enough to have a pirate cart of it as a kid. My parents bought me 2j at a local rental store. Was the first time I ever saw a famicom converter also. Boy that was a long time ago. So I'm going with Mario 1 but Mario 2j is a very close second.

SMB1. I love that it's just simple enough that you can blast through it, yet deep enough to afford detours and exploration. It plays like an arcade game extrapolated to its logical extreme. The mechanics and physics, to me, are perfect, and it's endlessly replayable. It defines the early years of the NES, if not the mid-'80s console renaissance as a whole.

Super Mario Brothers 1. Saving the Princess never gets old, and I have saved her hundreds of times by now. Much as I love SMB3, I can't beat it. SMB2 is a decent game but doesn't feel like Mario, because it isn't, and Lost Levels is hard as hell, as in MegaMan hard! :P

To be honest, I love all 4 NES games, but Super Mario World SNES gets my vote for all around best ever 2D Mario game. It's perfect!

I had to chew on this one a while. I think the first is the greatest, while the third is the "best" -- it kind of took all of the awesome elements the first one innovated and cranked them up to "10". But I've always loved the cheerful psychedelic aspects of the second one since long before I knew it was a Doki Doki Panic reimagining. It's so bright and swirly, with cool personalities for each of the characters. It doesn't FEEL like a Super Mario game, but when it was only the second one out there, it just felt like a different style.

I guess semantics and explanation are a way to try and have my cake and eat it, too. While it's my favorite, I realize that the second one's...different. (Of COURSE nobody had voted for it yet -- now I'm "that guy") The third one is certainly has more of everything the first one does (and some stuff from the second one). But the innovation, imagination, user-friendliness, and charm of the first one really can't be beat, right?

• Like 1

^^No, Super Mario Bros 3 have the Mario Bros arcade minigame, in 2-player mode only. Players can battle out for coins to get an extra turn.

It's not an extra copy of Super Mario Bros 1 like the name implies, and it's really not the Mario Bros arcade game either.

BTW, looks like Super Mario Bros just got an extra 4 votes! :D If this poll were on NintendoAge, SMB3 would be winning by a landslide though... :P

There's just one level, and it ends automatically when all coins are collected or one player dies. Whomever collects the most coins or wins the round gets their turn to play SMB3. Sometimes it can get rather old if one player continually spams the minigame, but you lose your turn if you don't win it.

Sometimes it makes a good tactic though if the next world is a PITA and you want to force the other player to play it without losing a life.