IGNORED

GROM Images in Modern Format?

First Spear

I could have sworn that I saw this somewhere, but Google and Bing image searches are not helping me...

I am looking for pixel-perfect images of each GROM character in any modern computer format (GIF, etc). Has anyone seen such an animal anywhere? Not just the sheet, but 128 seperate characters.

(putting this in a new AA topic in the hopes that it will be easier to find in the future).

Thanks.

JZINTV has a utility just for that purpose:

show_grom.exe

it is in the Bin folder with everything else. You just need the GROM.BIN file in the same folder.

Run SHOW_GROM from the command line for a list of parameters.

I copied the SHOW_GROM.EXE and the GROM.BIN into a seperate folder before generating the GIF files

Edited by Tarzilla
  • Like 1

JZINTV has a utility just for that purpose:

show_grom.exe

it is in the Bin folder with everything else. You just need the GROM.BIN file in the same folder.

Run SHOW_GROM from the command line for a list of parameters.

I copied the SHOW_GROM.EXE and the GROM.BIN into a seperate folder before generating the GIF files

You beat me to it. :-)

• Like 1

Thanks! That must have seen that output in the dim/distant past and didn't remember.

show_grom -d 3 -h -x 128 -y 128 -o gromall.html grom.bin

The images are rendering anti aliased a bit, blurry, so I cannot clearly see the pixels that make up each image. I think I am running the latest jzIntv. What else could be up?

Thanks.

post-31694-0-98403400-1423628624_thumb.jpg

You beat me to it. :-)

Edited by First Spear

The images are rendering anti aliased a bit, blurry, so I cannot clearly see the pixels that make up each image. I think I am running the latest jzIntv. What else could be up?

The GIFs are pixel perfect. It's your modern web browser that's displaying them jacked up. If you load the individual GIFs, they each exactly have the 8x8 pixel pattern that's in GROM. Each GIF is 8x8 with no antialiasing or anything.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

As intvnut says, it is the browser scaling and antialiasing, original gif files are all 8x8 pixels. For better results it helps if we know what you are using the images for.

There are lots of tools for batch image resize without antialiasing

http://lifehacker.com/5147153/bulk-image-resizer-is-light-and-quick-on-photo-processing

The GIFs are pixel perfect. It's your modern web browser that's displaying them jacked up. If you load the individual GIFs, they each exactly have the 8x8 pixel pattern that's in GROM. Each GIF is 8x8 with no antialiasing or anything.

As intvnut says, it is the browser scaling and antialiasing, original gif files are all 8x8 pixels. For better results it helps if we know what you are using the images for.

FWIW, when I wrote that 12 years ago, the Unisys GIF patent was still valid and IE6 had just come out recently. Back then, browsers didn't really do antialiasing on scaled GIFs. It would have dragged those Pentium IIIs down too much. :D

As Tarzilla says, if you describe what you're doing, we can help you more effectively.

I knew I smelled the stink of Windows on this. Even though I was using Chrome to display them.

Thanks, sorry for the overhead.

I appreciate the great response. I am drawing some stuff on a Wondows graphics program and then running them through IntyColor. I ran over the GRAM Count limit on unique tiles, so I am attempting to swap them out for GROM images, which I understand IntyColor take care of. So my current plan is to get the exact 8x8 shapes (stair steps, angles, etc) and copy-paste them wherever I can to get IntyColor-compliant conversions.

Thanks.

There are lots of tools for batch image resize without antialiasinghttp://lifehacker.com/5147153/bulk-image-resizer-is-light-and-quick-on-photo-processing

• Like 1

Here is a better image for reference.

I took 5 minutes and ran the 8x8 images thru Irfanview's batch resize and made them 72x72 and updated the g.html file to point at the bigger versions, then I opened the html file in Chrome and used an add on to save the whole thing to one image. Suitable enough for printing for reference (but probably not framing...)

[Click to Enlarge]

post-38229-0-18182900-1423676997_thumb.png

I appreciate the great response. I am drawing some stuff on a Wondows graphics program and then running them through IntyColor. I ran over the GRAM Count limit on unique tiles, so I am attempting to swap them out for GROM images, which I understand IntyColor take care of. So my current plan is to get the exact 8x8 shapes (stair steps, angles, etc) and copy-paste them wherever I can to get IntyColor-compliant conversions.

Thanks.

Then wouldn't you need the original 8x8 images in the Windows program since the resulting image sent to Intycolor would need to be 160x96?

You might look into using a tile editor program that will let you load the 8x8 gifs as a tile set, then configure it to 160x96 pixels with tiles of 8x8. You could then draw your own GRAM tiles as a second tile set.