IGNORED

Sparta DOS 4.47

w1k

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I have what is hopefully a pretty simple question. How acceptable is it to setup a RAM disk via the AUTOEXEC.BAT vs. the CONFIG.SYS method? Any gotchas? What I currently do is use this as the last device in my CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE RAMDISK H

for 8-bit 65 series or

DEVICE >DRIVERS>RAMD816L H

for when I have a 65C816 going.

Right now the reason I am interested in this is because I wish to make use of the batch language conditionals to load the regular RAM disk driver if the special 816 one fails to install. CONFIG.SYS processing doesn't seem to offer that like batch processing does. But it is of general interest anyway too for future tinkering.

Edited by fujidude

Every ramdisk driver sets the variable $RAMDISK in the environment, so this should work for you:

>DRIVERS>RAMD816L.SYS H
IF NOT RAMDISK
  RAMDISK.SYS H
FI

Doh! I should have thought of that. Especially so since I have used that very same kind of logic for setting up a temp folder and the BASIC and CAR .SAV files:

IF RAMDISK
  IF NOT EXISTS $RAMDISK$TEMP
    MKDIR $RAMDISK$TEMP
  FI
  SET TEMP=$RAMDISK$TEMP>
ELSE
  IF NOT EXISTS $BOOT$TEMP
    MKDIR $BOOT$TEMP
  FI
  SET TEMP=$BOOT$TEMP>
FI

SET BASIC=$TEMP$BASIC.SAV
SET CAR=$TEMP$CAR.SAV
Edited by fujidude

So yes, I'm loading either RAM disk driver from the batch file (instead of DEVICE statements in config file) and it seems to work fine. Am I right to assume that it is the same functionality as doing it as a DEVICE? Seems okay but if there are known functional differences that I am as yet unaware of I would appreciate knowing.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still trying my first steps with sdx. Seems it is really a very powerful tool.

I have the side2 cartridge. I understand all the core stuff is on the car: drive but if I change to car: I end up with D1: which is my normal disk drive. The manual is quite advanced and doesnt explain any further. Does my side2 cart have a car: drive at all?

And forgot to mention, within those different config files you can have a:

SET BATCH=>SPARTA.DOS>USUAL.BAT

to indicate which file should be executed as if it were a AUTORUN.BAT.

For example I have some config files named:

• CLX.CFG
  • PRIMARY.CFG
  • XEP80.CFG

I also have some batch files named:

• CLX.BAT
  • PRIMARY.BAT
  • XEP80.BAT

Within each config file I have a line to set the BATCH variable to the name of the batch file I want to run. So in my PRIMARY.CFG, I have a line like SET BATCH=>SPARTA.DOS>PRIMARY.BAT

Works great. Also, in the config selection menu, the system will add another option called DEFAULT. That choice configures your system as if you had no special config files and just plugged int the SDX cart on a new system.

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 1