IGNORED

Sparta DOS 4.47

w1k

Yes, the issue has been recorded in our bugtracker, but has not been yet fixed, sorry. There are about 20 issues there which are still to be taken care of, and this one is one of them.

As always, not everything has been done that had been planned.

Hi Konrad, I should have asked you about this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235991-slim-version-of-carina-ii-moe-source-code-for-sdx/

instead of burying it in the Programming section... Some kind of simple R: / K: / E: I/O redirector for SDX that enables remote access. I have searched and so far not found any good info on the subect.

Thanks for your time.

Hi. Could you describe in more detail, what that "redirector" is suppoed to do?

The I/O redirection in SDX basically requires the use of the I/O library. There are stdin and stdout handles in COMTAB, but these are not OS' IOCB numbers, rather SDX kernel's handles.

Hi. Could you describe in more detail, what that "redirector" is suppoed to do?

The I/O redirection in SDX basically requires the use of the I/O library. There are stdin and stdout handles in COMTAB, but these are not OS' IOCB numbers, rather SDX kernel's handles.

I think he's looking for the ability to redirect console I/O to a serial port similar to the way you would do it in CP/M.

Thanks for the reply, Konrad,

What I'm looking for is a way to combine RS232 data with the screen and keyboard. Switchable (without dropping carrier) for file xfers. I didn't know if anyone had ever done something like this or not.

I'm working on a BBS program, and all the existing software out there is big and clumsy to use, most of them don't work with SDX.

I have a TurboBASIC program compiled to an exe, and that would be so nice (if it was even possible) to have a simple 3 step batch file such as:

RS232.COM

REDIRECT.COM

BBS.EXE

I hope you get the idea about what I am thinking of. I'm not even sure I know what I'm thinking of :)

I'm working on a BBS program, ... most of them don't work with SDX.

Can I ask why they do not work? Has the reason been determined?

RS232.COM

REDIRECT.COM

BBS.EXE

I hope you get the idea about what I am thinking of.

I would get the idea better if I had an idea what exactly the REDIRECT.COM does :) Anyway, what about:

RS232.COM

BBS.EXE <<COM: >>COM:

?

Can I ask why they do not work? Has the reason been determined?

I would get the idea better if I had an idea what exactly the REDIRECT.COM does :) Anyway, what about:

RS232.COM

BBS.EXE <<COM: >>COM:

?

REDIRECT.COM is the program that may or may not exist yet... It's the "missing link" we need, a small version of Carina's MOE (modem operating environment).

I'll try the <<COM: >>COM: thing and see what happens.

Could you be a little bit more specific? F.e. what conflicts, and why a hard coded path is a problem under SDX and is not under e.g. SD 3.2?

Well, here's a screenshot of BBS Express user editor. always garbage is inserted in the data. BBS Express is nice about the pathnames, though. I have tested so many, it's difficult to remember which ones have what problems. Carina either just freezes, or corrupts the screen, then freezes.

This is why I want to make something different, modular, easy to understand, and above all, compatible.

Sorry to pollute the SDX 4.47 thread... Anyone interested in BBS stuff, please join in here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/149119-atardis-bbs-beta-version/

post-13040-0-48624700-1426025486_thumb.jpg

@w1k: I do not even know what is supposed to happen. Anyway, this problem probably belongs to a SIDE/U1MB thread rather than SDX.

@Kyle22: my wild guess is that the problems with the BBS software may be caused by the fact that the VPRINT function of SD 3.2 is not implemented in SDX. The corresponding vector at $FFD8 does exist, but the only thing it contains is SEC/RTS. I admit that this should have been done in a more intelligent way, because the way they had done it (at ICD) will indeed cause a crash, if a program calls the vector. So this is something to be solved.

For now, please try the attached program and see if it makes things any better. This is a quick TSR which should provide the VPRINT function in question to SDX. If its presence helps, the program will be put onto the Toolkit disk.

PS. Note that TBXL itself for sure, and TBXL runtime library most probably, destroy these vectors.

vprint.arc

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well Konrad, it's difficult to say. The first time I tried vprint.sys, it seemed to help. I have since tried the program again without vprint.sys and it worked. This may be due to running under a new version of Altirra.

I'll try it on real hardware when I get my 800 Incognito set up again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Not a bug but a feature suggestion. At some point could one of you take a look at making "SDXImager" work directly with the 'Ultimate1MB' ROM? It is an awesome tool and currently can indeed load the ROM and correctly identify its SDX segment. However, after making changes to the user-area and then saving - for instance to modify config.sys - the ROM as a whole will no longer boot. I guess this is probably the case when directly editing the other cartridge ROMs like SIDE2 or SIC within which SDX can reside, although I have not experimented with those. It would be a real time-saver but is obviously not critical.

Somewhere along the line I have a problem with 80 column mode creep up. Using:

Altirra 2.70t12

U1MB

SDX 4.47

S_VBXE.SYS

CON.SYS (both this and S_VBXE.SYS are supplied by the newest (as far as I can tell) SDX Toolkit disk)

For some reason the right margin is at 39 instead of 79. Even if I issue a poke command to change it, it does not change! Any ideas? Anything else I can tell you about to help figure this out?

• 2 weeks later...

At http://spartados.com there is an updated version of SDX Tolkit available. A list of files changed and added below:

bootld>inidos.sys
compat>vprint.arc
drivers>pclink>pclink.arc
drivers>scrdrv>svbxe104.arc
shells>sc095.arc
utils>mkatr.arc

All of this are rather minor improvements and bugfixes, except svbxe104.arc, where a major bug has been fixed, which caused problems (incl. crashes) after the Reset key was pressed. Thanks for Pinokio/TRS for repeatedly reporting that.

And in inidos.sys the SIDE2 support has been added.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your continued efforts! I don't know why exactly, given all the modern computing resources I have to play with, but I get excited about new developments like this for the A8. As soon as I'm done going through new posts here on AA, I'm going to dive into that new TK!

Edited by fujidude

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb? question: Where can I get the so called symbol list for SDX? I was reading the 4.47 programmer's guide and it mentions all these symbols and routines. I was thinking about using a couple of the built in routines rather than write something from scratch but can't seem to find where these named routines "live." I thought the SDX source code might enlighten me, but then I realized I couldn't find that either. Okay, I see that it is closed source. I'm surprised a bit at that, but okay. Anyway, what about the symbols and is there a list of equates for them or the DOS as a whole?

Edited by fujidude

It doesn't make sense to have an equate list for a symbol, since the symbol is by its nature relocatable, but many of the common symbols are documented right there in the programming guide. You'll look in vain for their "address", though (although some page 7 kernel functions have fixed vectors). Check out the MADS assembler's SDX programming examples for hints on how to write SDX applications which access external symbols. You can also obtain symbol addresses using a kernel call; this is how a standard Atari executable can get the address of a relocatable routine.