IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

Atari joystick has to be plugged in to controller port 1. Hold down red button. Boot up system while still holding red button down. When you see raspberry on the screen let go of the button. The controller should work in emulator and menu screen but has to be in controller port one (not sure which port he made controller one) to work as player one in emulator.

The issue is that he wants to use these different controllers within Intellivision games. Since jzintv requires a hackfile for the UPCI, you'd have to edit the player 2 buttons in that file to get things to work properly. Not sure that it would be worth it unless you never wanted to play 2-player games again...

The issue is that he wants to use these different controllers within Intellivision games. Since jzintv requires a hackfile for the UPCI, you'd have to edit the player 2 buttons in that file to get things to work properly. Not sure that it would be worth it unless you never wanted to play 2-player games again...

you can use an atari joystick and button 1 fine. He stated it isnt working at all. Did you install vision daptors or an ultimate pc interface? With the ultimate pc interface he should have no problems getting an atari controller to work as long as he plugs into port 1 and hold the red button down while powering up. I use other controllers all the time. There is no need to edit the hackfile. Is he using intv flashback controllers or original controllers? If they are original controllers then the problem is the switch on the interface is set to intv original controllers only. Edited by pimpmaul69

you can use an atari joystick and button 1 fine. He stated it isnt working at all. Did you install vision daptors or an ultimate pc interface? With the ultimate pc interface he should have no problems getting an atari controller to work as long as he plugs into port 1 and hold the red button down while powering up. I use other controllers all the time. There is no need to edit the hackfile. Is he using intv flashback controllers or original controllers? If they are original controllers then the problem is the switch on the interface is set to intv original controllers only.

He's got an UPCI set up for FB controllers. So can you leave a FB controller plugged into port 2 in to pause, reset, and exit the game?

He's got an UPCI set up for FB controllers. So can you leave a FB controller plugged into port 2 in to pause, reset, and exit the game?

Yes. You can use the player 2 intv fb controller for pause reset and exit and use an atari/genesis, colecovision, and coleco fb controller on port 1.

(Johnny Carson voice) I did not know that! Thanks for the info - I'll have to test that out.

just remember whatever non intv fb controller you are using you have to hold the button 1/a (not key button on coleco fb but side button 1) down while powering up and dont let go until you see the raspberry on the screen Edited by pimpmaul69

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank Byte Knight again for his upgrade service. I got my second Flashback Ultimatized by him a month or so ago, and it came back perfect (better than new!) about a week after I sent it to him. Going to give this one to my Dad, who bought me my first Intellivision in 1981. Thanks again!

• Like 1

I would like my Flashback to be upgraded to accept coins. I'd like to make some money off my friends in the senior centre!!! Seniors are part of the brotherhood too!!!!

Are you are talking about me damn it?

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Ultimate Flashback back from Byte Knight, and all I can say is this thing IS what it WAS and MORE.

I'd been playing through snow, haze, and, for the last few years, not at all . . . until the Dollar General dripped honey in my ear with the promise of the Intellivision Flashback! BUT HOW bitter the DISAPPOINTMENT off-the-shelf (Dollar General!) Intellivision Flashback -- god how bitter! I thought certainly my nostalgia would never be fulfilled.

Nostalgia. Greek word. Means pain from an old wound.

But, nearly given up, I poked around to try to find a way to get a FUNCTIONING Intellivision. . . . and I found Byte Knight's Ultimate Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service.

I can't underscore, overstate, and broad-cast this enough: It is what it was . . . and more!

Re-visited experiences, places, and things often shrink and grow sad when re-encountered many years later. BUT THIS THING IS SH*T HOT!

Turn it on, and rich colors and crisp images greet you. The forms are familiar, but it is like seeing them clearly for the first time. Intellivision's never been this good. It wasn't this good back then.

It's like cataract surgery. It's like taking off sunglasses. Scales fall form the eyes.

Hit that power button and Mattel Electronics is presenting "The Raspberry Pi Intellivision System." Oh my. The image is like a glicée print.

Everything is like a glicée print! The games play like that, too! My entire 1080p HD TV is filled with them! Better than glicée, this is like intaglio printing on my monitor!

A national mint would be jealous of the quality of this!

Menus, splash-screens . . . the navigation -- which was encouraged by Byte Knight himself -- this is a better system than most of my other consoles.

It's easy to run full screen 1080p or in its original aspect . . . or anything in between. I'm so pleased; I'm considering abandoning resuscitating my original machine because I'm enjoying this UFB *more* than my redoubtable original.

I sound breathless because I am. I had a hard time breaking from playing this weekend to write this review. I purchased a ROM from Intellivision.us and . . . adding it to the UFB was so easy. I had DREAMS for YEARS about new Intellivision games. Perhaps I was the perfect latent customer for this thing, but I'm considering buying a second one . . . maybe more for Christmas presents!

Please contact me if you want any particular issue or aspect of this Raspberry Pi-, RetroPie-, JZINT-, Love-, Sweat-, and Tears-made machine. It's cheap at twice the price. I'm in love.

You could be, too!

• Like 3

Got my Ultimate Flashback back from Byte Knight, and all I can say is this thing IS what it WAS and MORE.

Hit that power button and Mattel Electronics is presenting "The Raspberry Pi Intellivision System." Oh my. The image is like a glicée print.

Everything is like a glicée print! The games play like that, too! My entire 1080p HD TV is filled with them! Better than glicée, this is like intaglio printing on my monitor!

A national mint would be jealous of the quality of this!

Thanks for the great review! I must admit that I had to Google what a "glicée print" was though.

Also, I totally stole mthompson's boot screen - it's way better than the one that I came up with...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to say the Ultimate Flashback is the real deal ! The Intellivision buzz is one of the great points about it. It brings me back to 1982 when I hear it... I'm a stickler for original hardware but I was very curious about this one since it uses the closest emulator to original hardware. I haven't been able to tell the difference in game play between original stuff and the Ultimate Flashback but I do need more time on it to really tell. The picture quality is right there with RGB Which is a real strong point for me since the RF output has always been a big dissapointment especially back in the 80's after playing arcade games. If anyone is considering one of these units I recommend it ! It's nice to be able to preserve original hardware and have fun with one of these. Another thing is being able to run other emulators if the need arises. I'm hoping to find out about that soon...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brief update with the FB Service:

• Here's the new game-selection theme for the Intellivision FB upgrade (thanks to pimpmaul69, mthompson, and iesposta for the help).

post-16548-0-62961600-1450591552_thumb.png

• I'm now using Raspberry Pi 2's in the upgrade - it cuts the boot time in half!

• Here's the new theme in action showcasing some of the great homebrews that you can buy in rom form.

• Like 3

My quick review of ‘The Ultimate ColecoVision Flashback” and “The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback.”

First off I want to thank Byte Knight for being patient and answering all my questions. He is a great communicator. Also, I couldn’t believe the turn around time, I wasn’t sure if I would have them by Christmas, boy was I wrong!

Summary, both systems are fun to play. They are easy to use, but make sure to read the directions!

I highly recommend Byte Knight and both systems.

I’ve only played about an hour on each system. I didn’t have any issues, and picture quality is awesome. Love the box images on the INTV, missing on the CV.

Pros:

· Byte Knight

· Easy to setup

· Easy to use

· Great picture quality

· High Quality build, I admit I had to take them apart to see what they looked like inside!

· Start up is pretty quick

Things I would changes, not necessarily Cons. They really are very minor nits.

· Would like to have a slot in the side to get to the mSD, can’t get to it even if you open system. Probably not a big deal for most people. I will probably add a slot myself. I’m guessing BK would have added one if I asked.

· Box images for CV, I think BK is looking into this. Once he starts adding them to his builds I’m guessing it will be easy to add to existing setups.

· Would be cool to have overlays for the Controls/Menu System. I have a bad memory!

If you want a fun, easy to use, great quality picture, etc then these are for you. I don’t care for the CVF controller so I use a real CV controller; the INTV controller seems to work fine.

If you are on the fence, I recommend getting one or both of these as who knows how long BK will offer them. I was originally going to do it myself, but I have so many other things I’m going to do I would never have gotten to it. Also, the build quality would not even be close to BK’s.

Cross posted to the ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service thread

• Like 2

A few more observations:

Additonal Notes

Add box art location without using the scraping method.

You can update the location of box art, description, etc by editing the xml file itself instead of scraping. The location of the file to modify is: /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/intellivision
an example that contains all of the labels you might want:

<game>        <path>./Astrosmash Competition (1981) (Mattel).rom</path>        <name>Astrosmash Comp</name>        <desc>In Astrosmash you control a laser canon at the bottom of ... </desc>        <image>/home/box/AstrosmashComp.jpg</image>        <rating>0</rating>        <releasedate>19810101T000000</releasedate>        <developer>Mattel Electronics</developer>        <publisher>Mattel Electronics</publisher>        <genre>Action</genre>        <players />

</game>

WiFi

I found that if there is a space in the WiFi name that it won't work. I even tried escaping the space in the conf file.

Why is it ok to play these Games in 16x9? It doesn't look great ...Why???

Don't tell me ..No one is doing 4x3 > :(

I remember when widescreen TVs first came out. At first most television channels were still broadcasting a 4:3 standard picture. Most people used their televisions to stretch the image to fit their widescreens making everything look fatter than it should. They preferred to watch a distorted image than have empty space on the sides of their picture. I never understood it but that's what most people did.