IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

Yeah, maybe a little bit ;) I'd prefer to just make an adapter to use the controllers on my PC...or heck, maybe one of these days just get started on a real ITV collection.

But for now at least I can play that game on my DS.

There are a few adapters to make the controllers work on the computer. all these should be usable within the computer emulators.

The Classic Game Controller, or CGC, may no longer be available: http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/cgc/cgc.php

The Ultimate PC Interface is the currently available adapter: http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

The Raphnet adapter is also currently available: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/intellivusb/index.php

mr_me - it sounds like Asaki does not want to use USB. He mentions that he wants to make a parallel port adapter, so sounds like he wants to go from parallel port to Inty controller. I am not sure if there is any real advantage to that, but we whose to say.

Asaki - what schematics are you looking for? Here is the Intellivision controller pinout: http://arcarc.xmission.com/Web%20Archives/Deathskull%20(May-2006)/games/tech/intvcont.html

• Like 1

I am not sure if there is any real advantage to that, but we whose to say.

It's a lot easier to build. I've built NES/SNES, Genesis, and Atari, and all you need is a few wires and some diodes, even supports four players.

I've used Direct Pad Pro, PPJoy, and SNESKey, but it doesn't look like any of them support INTV.

http://arcadecontrols.com/Mirrors/www.csc.tntech.edu/~jbyork/default.htm

^ bunch of other things though, if anyone's interested

Edited by Asaki

Nice to see one of these!

What I've wondered about INTV2PC is just how usable it could be on modern PCs. Casual digging leads me to believe that you need a *real* parallel port, not one of those USB dongles. IIRC the software to access INTV2PC needs more complete access to the port to work properly. Those USB gizmos don't work that way.

That said, I know that the test software on that floppy could still run in a DOS prompt in Windows xp. That's a bit of a hazy memory, but it was pretty surprising TBH. I still have two active desktop machines w/ parallel ports on them...

I think the test software for INTV2PC uses the old inp function, which has been retired for some time now. Not sure which emulators support it any more - haven't gone spelunking through the jzIntv source to see if it still has support for it.

For modern OSs you'd probably actually need to write a true driver to do this kind of thing -- and you'd need a true parallel port. Since INTV2PC supports two controllers, 16 of those pins need to be read.

'Course I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Another one of the projects I never finished starting -- got as far as bumming an old Windows NT driver book from someone, but that's at least two generations of driver technology out-of-date now anyway. :P

Yes, but what exactly is INTV2PC doing in its hardware and is that necessary. From what ASAKI is saying very little hardware is needed for other controllers to work through the ECP/EPP port. The Intellivision controller is only eight wires of digital data and ground.

Yes, but what exactly is INTV2PC doing in its hardware and is that necessary. From what ASAKI is saying very little hardware is needed for other controllers to work through the ECP/EPP port. The Intellivision controller is only eight wires of digital data and ground.

Right. Without taking it apart, I can only guess. IIRC the INTVPC may have used a battery, or maybe that was a prototype… It'd be surprising if there was much in the way of active electronics in there.

• 3 weeks later...

I added an opening to the side of my case so I can access the memory card. Need to use a pair of tweezer, but really easy to remove. Yes, the cut is a little sloppy, but whatever!

I want to be able to remove it so I can back it up, especially if I decide to upgrade anything. On my mac I can use ApplePii-Baker to make and restore copies of the memory card.

intvmemorycardslot.jpg

I added an opening to the side of my case so I can access the memory card. Need to use a pair of tweezer, but really easy to remove. Yes, the cut is a little sloppy, but whatever!

I want to be able to remove it so I can back it up, especially if I decide to upgrade anything. On my mac I can use ApplePii-Baker to make and restore copies of the memory card.

Looks like it's time to buy a Dremel! Even with that, cutting decent-looking rectangular holes in the plastic is my least favorite thing to do. It requires lotsa filing...

So is it like paying Operation without the buzzer when you contact the case?

And then does it turn into a memory card piggy bank when you keep dropping them inside?

intvmemorycardslot.jpg

Couldn't you just access the files via wi-fi and copy them to your hard drive or another card connected to your computer? I would think that would be the easiest way without the need to remove the card.

I figure it's worth 20 bucks for the controllers. LOL

Yeah, I've been looking locally, and on the C-list, and a few phone apps for people selling crap. Ebay on occasion, but not often.

I bought mine on Amazon for $25, but the pricing skyrocketed at X-mas time and hasn't dropped back, yet.

Edited by fdr4prez
  • Like 1

I think we are hoping for the drop that came last year. But it hasn't happened!

I bought mine on Amazon for $25, but the pricing skyrocketed at X-mas time and hasn't dropped back, yet.

Couldn't you just access the files via wi-fi and copy them to your hard drive or another card connected to your computer? I would think that would be the easiest way without the need to remove the card.

I could, but I don't know what all the files are. I make a clone of the card so that if I screw something ups it takes less than five minutes to reimage the card. An example would be if I wanted to update the gui or the emulator. Back it up, do the upgrade, if I screw up five minutes later I'm back to were I was.

• Like 1

Or just shake out one of the other cards you dropped in there :rolling:

All foolishness aside, I've also been thinking of ways to swap out my card, for various reasons.

I actually thought about attaching a thin piece of plastic that would stick out of the side to aid in removal. Maybe 3d print something to look like a mini INTV cart?