IGNORED

ABBUC software competition 2015

skr

Good, man you're almost there, almost there at the half of Bomber levels. You're best 29th level is better than mine bests are around levels 20. You have to get sucess in 62levels to play the last 63th level own screen gfxs and surprise ;) :grin:!...

I would like to say that we'll appreciate any comments regarding Bomber playing like wich device you prefer to play it: keys, joystick or paddles, is it too hard after what level (we did things easier than on the C64 version what we read from their player comments it was impossible to get into higher than around level30) so that we may or not change again the bombs algorithm, anything you find usefull for a good, the best as possible after the party game release.

You can post your feelings on the Bomber topic or if you prefer, just drop us a personal message.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

OK Some Bomber feedback - Firstly Nice work guys and thanks for taking the time to create another game :thumbsup:

I've managed 9,320 so far but not got past level 29, level 21 is where you start to feel the pressure - I think I can get further and having an end screen is a nice idea, and will keep the interest. I've only played paddles as this is really the ideal controller for this and they are fun. Keyboard was ok but you could add space to start a round instead of having to wait. If you could start on either paddle that would be good too.

Although some great graphics I found the brick wall (BBC) screen made the bombs a bit hard to see - the others weren't so bad. The sandy coloured clear screen was best. Maybe you can change the bombs colour to stand out more on the wall backgrounds?

Found the font a bit hard to read especially the word THE on the bottom scroll.

You could add and end of level sound effect

I suppose you are up for comparison with Kaboom! As far as I can see your only negative is the tune when collecting, but many positives including smoother control and the game doesn't get too hard too soon :)

[130XE 1050 PAL CRT]

• Like 1

@TRBB Thanks for the feedback!

Keyboard was ok but you could add space to start a round instead of having to wait. If you could start on either paddle that would be good too.

In keyboard mode you can press shift to skip the pause at the start of a level. I chose shift instead of spacebar because if you were moving your bucket with X or Z and hit spacebar, it would clobber KBCODE and cause the bucket to stop whereas shift has it's own bit in SKSTAT. But I could add spacebar support too.

In paddle mode, you should be able to press the trigger for any paddle from 1 to 4 to start the level since the code just checks to see if the PORTA value has decreased. Or do you mean the game should automatically select the paddle whose trigger you pressed? That could be done.

@TRBB Thanks for the feedback!

In keyboard mode you can press shift to skip the pause at the start of a level. I chose shift instead of spacebar because if you were moving your bucket with X or Z and hit spacebar, it would clobber KBCODE and cause the bucket to stop whereas shift has it's own bit in SKSTAT. But I could add spacebar support too.

In paddle mode, you should be able to press the trigger for any paddle from 1 to 4 to start the level since the code just checks to see if the PORTA value has decreased. Or do you mean the game should automatically select the paddle whose trigger you pressed? That could be done.

You are welcome ;)

Shift is fine, I probably should have read that somewhere! I would only play in paddles mode though.

Seems to take the paddle buttons to start but only paddle 1 to move. Yes would be cool to automatically use a paddle when it's button was pressed to start the game; 1-2 would be nice. Not sure on the 130XE with the dual ports if this would cause an issue supporting 3+.

I'm thinking about potentially patching the other paddles games to use paddle 3&4 (for 1-2 player) then you could leave a set in the 2nd port on the XE/XL. NRV's "PAD" (current HSC Turn the Paddles round) is really nice as it lets you select just about anything :thumbsup:

Hi. Thanks to answered and for the comments.

Z, X and SHIFT for keys was my proposal because my memories on playing Arkanoid.

Indeed, it was on that time the only game that I think that I had with the possibility to play with the keyboard.

And unlike my ZXs friends that were used to it and most even at the begining hadn't a single joystick because of money and the need to buy those Kempston interfaces I never got playing most of the games on their homes.

And were years later to have another game that even today I still prefer to play using the keyboard that is Tetris and all its different releases and variants.

Indeed, anything that we just have to move left<->right, with or without fire, keyboard is my device's choice to play (probably one day I'll have a chance to buy or at least play one of these type of games using a paddle to then get why you thinks it's the best one :)).

Edited by José Pereira

It would be nice to play with the triggered paddle, as the pots fail with the use, and someone would like to pick the less used one... or if the joystick is always connected on port 1, just use any of the paddles in port 2.

...(probably one day I'll have a chance to buy or at least play one of these type of games using a paddle to then get why you thinks it's the best one :)).

It's no contest. The paddles level of control, variable speed, ability to get across the screen and back in an instant that make them such fun - like being able to control multi-ball in PAD or collecting a power up after hitting the ball in Arkanoid just before it drops away or in Castle Crisis collecting the fireball and then whipping around to launch it at a big hole in your neighbours castle wall! The feature of putting a bit of side on the ball (snooker fans) by moving the bat as you hit the ball now whether this is programmed into any of the bat 'n' ballers or it's just contact zones on the bats and wishful thinking!

I find paddles games are good for when you have a few people over - the games are relatively simple and fun and most people can work out what to do quickly, so it's always nice to have another one :thumbsup:

Z, X and SHIFT for keys was my proposal because my memories on playing Arkanoid.

I chose to use WASD and Shift keys for Toy'Swap. I did´t remember that ZX-Shift from Arkanoid, but as I needed all 4 directions, I prefered what is common today, as well as arrow keys.

Also, I wanted to guess which controller was in use when the player press a given trigger, but as some of the available ones use the same internal register for the trigger, but different registers or read method to test for a movement in some direction, I left that idea, and forced to use START key... Anyway, I'm still thinking about testing for a given trigger to start the game depending on the currently selected controller (but I'm not sure how to check for the Shift key by itself when the keyboard is selected).

Hi, do we know when will Abbuc SWC results be announced?

-my 3plex download availability countdown timer will run out quite soon... and I don't want to spoil the compo with premature release.

Edited by matosimi
  • Like 1

Sascha Kriegel was not present at this year's meeting, that's probably why there is still no news from ABBUC in this thread. So I'll repeat the results that Bunsen revealed on ABBUC forum:

1. Jim Slide 452 p.
2. Bomber 429 p.
3. Toy Swap 411 p.
4. 3plex 320 p.
5. Gravity 292 p.
6. Litle Game 257 p.
7. Joystick Mastah 146 p.

I also put the official results on AtariOnline site.

• Like 3

Sascha Kriegel was not present at this year's meeting, that's probably why there is still no news from ABBUC in this thread. So I'll repeat the results that Bunsen revealed on ABBUC forum:

1. Jim Slide 452 p.

2. Bomber 429 p.

3. Toy Swap 411 p.

4. 3plex 320 p.

5. Gravity 292 p.

6. Litle Game 257 p.

7. Joystick Mastah 146 p.

I also put the official results on AtariOnline site.

Thank you Adam. I am unable to open Atarionline, is it only me (I am abroad on a cellular network)?

I'm surprised by the fact Bomber is not #1 ...

Jim Slide and Bomber both great games, but bomber is really a very fine piece of artwork.

I voted 9 points for Jim Slide and 10 for bomber.

Nice games this year.

I must say that Little Game was very hard to get used to, but now I'm better at it, I think Little game has serious potential of being a real nice a8 game.