IGNORED

ABBUC software competition 2015

skr

@ProWizard:

"Jim Slide" is much more original than "Bomber" and "LITLE Game" (with misspelled title) is very unoriginal, being almost a copy of an earlier game of the same creator ("Game Harry") ;)

@IndusGT:

You may see a screenshot on AtariOnline.pl site.

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 2

You have to get sucess in 62levels to play the last 63th level own screen gfxs and surprise

Are you sure, Jose? With some code inspection I found out the game has (only) 48 levels. I reached level 40 so far (score 13985) with a joystick, so it seems not impossible to finish Bomber. But from level 22 on the game becomes very difficult. A great challenge for me.

I voted 10 points for Jim Slide, Bomber and 9 points for Toy Swap since every game has different strengths: Jim Slide has lots of difficult levels, Bomber has fantastic graphics and Toy Swap has lots of different game features (rings, teddies, magic wands, locks, balls, skulls, clocks etc.)

Thanks for the bunch of new games and congratulations to all participants of the ABBUC contest!

Edited by StefanD
  • Like 3

Hello vitico, guys

There is no maximum total amount of points. All ABBUC members can vote, either by sending in their voting sheets or by handing them in personally. The minimum amount of points a voter can give is "0", the maximum amount a voter can give is 10 point. But (s)he can give the same amount of points to different pieces of software. So you can give them all zero points, all ten point or anything in between.

Sincerely

Mathy (who didn't vote this year because the last couple of kilometers of the trip to Herten toke us several hours. So we (Luckybuck and myself) missed the voting and just about everything else. :sad: :sad: )

How many people voted? Or what was the max number of points a game could get?

Well,

evil as I am, I counted the number of vote sheets - 55 vote sheets / 55 people voted.

Alas, there was a construction site near the Abbuc meeting (on the highway / german Autobahn), many Abbuc members stood in a big traffic jam that lasted for 4 hours or longer and thus they arrived too late at the meeting and could not vote...

Theoretically the maximum number one could have got at the meeting was 55 x 10 points = 550 points.

Thanks to the abbuc guys for organising this and supporting the Atari 8-bit scene. I thought it would be close. It's a shame about the roadworks, especially after the long gap between the competition ending and the meeting date.

3rd place!!! :grin:

Very good to be my first time in a contest, my first game 100% coded in assembler, and my first 8-bit music try.

Very impressive indeed for your first assembler game - I think you can tweak it to make the timers more relevant perhaps. Possibly the graphics could be further improved. I thought the tune was a bit miserable and I turned it off - sorry!. Take a play on Jewel Blitz for comparison. I did try with the light gun but will try again as didn't seem to align it properly - this is a neat idea :thumbsup:

Congratulations Jim Slide :thumbsup: it was my favourite of the bunch. Similar to Fandals (excellent) DiamondZ but both the Crowns feature and the scoring reset on each level are very nice. Perhaps a feature or game mode to allow you to return to screens that you hadn't fully completed could be added? Look forward to more levels too :)

Bomber is nice. I've already commented on it :thumbsup: Still around level 29 for me with paddles (or joystick!)

I liked Little Game, a lot, I thought it was familiar! I guess this is a good point for a discussion on entering a modified or updated game. If a game had new levels I guess it would be ok? Imagine Mighty Jill Off - same engine and everything but different level layouts would that be ok?

3Plex is very impressive looking but was too easy, the final version will address this :thumbsup: Looking forward to playing this - it may have won the contest ;)

Sikor thanks for supporting the competition :thumbsup: Joystick Mastah is too hard and needs to have fire to start, then a gap before it begins! This is a good example and should encouage others to do something for next year too - it doesn't have to be a commercial product it's fun after all :)

Any gameplay videos or screenshots on Gravity?

My game Gravity I will release in a minute or two HERE, I was happy with it, just a little Turbo BASIC project from a simple idea - at least it was not like anything else we have on the Atari 8-bit; as far as I know :-D

• Like 3

Congratulations Jim Slide :thumbsup: it was my favourite of the bunch. Similar to Fandals (excellent) DiamondZ but both the Crowns feature and the scoring reset on each level are very nice. Perhaps a feature or game mode to allow you to return to screens that you hadn't fully completed could be added? Look forward to more levels too :)

I did not know Diamondz and played it the first 4 levels a few seconds ago. Nice graphics. If an artist would help me, then the graphics could be better.

The idea of the game came in march, when I was playing around with Ideas for Tenliners at the NOMAM meeting in Lubeck. Because of an error, my player (a ball) did not stop and I thought Heureka!, that is nice! I did the Tenliner SlideTen with 5 levels (all together in ten lines of Basic). After the event I worked a bit on the concept and thought, that it could be nice for a real game. My first complete assembler game on 8 Bit.

So I developed a design - Jim Slide - and a level editor.

With no artist available I had to draw every pixel by myself. Luckily Poison did music for Jim Slide.

The levels that came up in the 5 months of development where a lot, but some where of the same type, so I dropped a lot of them and came up with only carefully choosen ones. And made some Introduction levels.

The design of Jim, the logo like on the title screen (or T-shirt) are kind of work I can do. Drawing the fruits in 4 pixels width was very hard work for me. drawing a whole level with interesting high end graphics is too much for my skills. So I worked on the construction and introduction of the levels a lot.

The game looks kind of bad by watching a screen copy. But sliding is fun! Only if you play Jim Slide for some time, you will really get into it. I made the game not too easy, but killed all unnescessary things like: A time limit or 3 lifes. The player can restart every level every time without any pressure. The focus lies on the levels. And I invented the crowns as an extra collector feature. More challenge, less pain.

And I came up with a facebook page where Jim Slide speaks only. He tells what he likes or does. This is kind of fun too :-) (Although I know, some people hate facebook.)

And now I am building a boxed edition. A complete box in high quality, with a big poster, disk or module, T-shirt, hologram sticker, ... in different limited editions. This is a lot of work and the material is not cheap. But hey, this is like a "once in a lifetime" thing. So not only an atr, but a real big box for the collection will be soon available. I just need to invest some more of my time for the finish.

Anyway, evey game has it's own story and every game done for our Atari is great! So thank you all, not only for this years entries, but also for all other games ever made even without entering the ABBUC software contest (e.g. like fandals games I love a lot). Nice work!

• Like 3

Very impressive indeed for your first assembler game - I think you can tweak it to make the timers more relevant perhaps. Possibly the graphics could be further improved. I thought the tune was a bit miserable and I turned it off - sorry!. Take a play on Jewel Blitz for comparison. I did try with the light gun but will try again as didn't seem to align it properly - this is a neat idea :thumbsup:

The tune took me just one evening during the days of grace after the deadline, including the learn of RMT usage. I tried to recreate the one in Food Swap game of Pou, but I finally did my own variation. Anyway, after a couple of days, I also turned it off!!! :lol:

I'm also thinking about to make the timers more relevant, counting down more quickly, and obtaining more seconds after each round.

I tried to get the look and feel of a touch-screen game... that's why I included the light pen as another input device, but that required to set the bright of the TV set to the maximum. Using emulators, it´s possible to point and click with the mouse, but I couldn't find an emulator for android capable of that, so I guess that the next device to be considered should be the koala pad or touch tablet.

Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, I'm thinking about a "build your own rounds" (a given sequence of goals) option. Comments?

• Like 1

>> "And I came up with a facebook page where Jim Slide speaks only. He tells what he likes or does. This is kind of fun too :-) (Although I know, some people hate facebook.)"
The ABBUC Version is online now. It remains copyrighted, but you can play it. Newer version will follow later. Also see the facebook page.
If you like a new version of Jim Slide, then you can send me your ideas and more important: Your levels done with the level editor!
And if you are an pixel artist: Please join this project and help doing better level graphics!
Sliding is fun!
Edited by 1NG
  • Like 4

>> "And I came up with a facebook page where Jim Slide speaks only. He tells what he likes or does. This is kind of fun too :-) (Although I know, some people hate facebook.)"
The ABBUC Version is online now. It remains copyrighted, but you can play it. Newer version will follow later. Also see the facebook page.
If you like a new version of Jim Slide, then you can send me your ideas and more important: Your levels done with the level editor!
And if you are an pixel artist: Please join this project and help doing better level graphics!
Sliding is fun!

Haha I was on a certain level in a state of hair-pulling lol. I simply couldn't figure out how to get all the fruit there. Is there support for that ;)

Greetz

M.

Haha I was on a certain level in a state of hair-pulling lol. I simply couldn't figure out how to get all the fruit there. Is there support for that ;)

Greetz

M.

If you are really stuck on a level, then you can ask me for a solution.

In Level 22 "Apple vs pear" is apple or pear, so you can not get all fruits.

In level 41 "GIERIG" you can get many many fruits, but not all

In Level 46 "Bonuslevel" you can not get all fruits. But a lot!

Feel free to post your solutions as a direction string: L2: RULDRULUL. Sliding the shortest solution is not a goal in Jim Slide. And there are some different solutions available. While watching testers competing at level 13: "KEYMAN" I was surprised that 2 other solutions existed. So Level 13 has at least 3 possible ways to solve.

I think you got the feeling of the level design and the different kinds in jim slide. So please try to make an own level.

Sliding is fun!

• Like 1

1NG, Congratz for 1st place in compo!

I just played Jim Slide. Honestly I did not find it interesting at the beginning (3 or so levels), but after teleports,bumpers,keys/locks/bombs came to play I changed my mind. I did not expect such elements in this game and it is really good. Also levels are so cleverly designed, you and your level contributors must spent lot of time creating/testing them.

Good job!

Regards,

M.

• Like 5

Yes matosimi, Jim Slide needs some levels to get into it. The real cool stuff is in later levels.

Very cool, that you have shared your experience here. Thank you!

And NTSC Version is up now (Works on PAL too)

- Inroduction pdf / Anleitung.pdf

- Better NTSC colors

- Start via Trigger

- Better Font for the title (still not a very nice one)

- Minor bugfixes

- One extra level

Use the link on the Jim Slide facebook page.

Sliding is fun!

• Like 2

Well,

evil as I am, I counted the number of vote sheets - 55 vote sheets / 55 people voted.

Alas, there was a construction site near the Abbuc meeting (on the highway / german Autobahn), many Abbuc members stood in a big traffic jam that lasted for 4 hours or longer and thus they arrived too late at the meeting and could not vote...

Theoretically the maximum number one could have got at the meeting was 55 x 10 points = 550 points.

Ooopps,

I forgot, there were also some votes by E-Mail, so we had a total of 61 votes and theoretically 610 points were possible this year...

I just played Jim Slide. Honestly I did not find it interesting at the beginning (3 or so levels), but after teleports,bumpers,keys/locks/bombs came to play I changed my mind. I did not expect such elements in this game and it is really good. Also levels are so cleverly designed, you and your level contributors must spent lot of time creating/testing them.

Couldn't agree more with every word of this... It starts slow, but the complexity and challenge (and fun) build nicely. Reminds me of Dimo's Quest in that regard.

Perhaps a feature or game mode to allow you to return to screens that you hadn't fully completed could be added? Look forward to more levels too :)

That would be a most welcome addition. Though I am glad it is possible to pass a level without collecting every single trinket.

I'm currently on level 12 and loving it. Great game and congrats on your win!

• Like 2

2014= 85 votes?

YES.

http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1727-software-wettbewerb2014

(Why there were less votes in 2015 I do not know for sure, but here are some guesses: a) there was a big traffic jam near the meeting, many members came too late to the meeting to vote, b) autumn holidays in Germany, c) usually the meeting is on the last saturday in October, but this year it was one week earlier...)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I'm currently on level 12 and loving it. Great game and congrats on your win!

I think level 12 is a good example of getting into Jim Slide. And there are quiet some levels left :-)

Perhaps a feature or game mode to allow you to return to screens that you hadn't fully completed could be added?

Yes, that is a good idea! It would change the kind of play a bit and the points and crown for every level would have to be saved separately.

A challenge in the actual version is to beat the highscore by playing every level from the beginning and never go back. This is a bit old style like in the good old times.

The change would support the style of solving the complete puzzle in a kind of adventure mode. This is more like in modern games. I would like that too. But it is a bit different. In that version you can get a percentage of finishing levels and would go for 100%.

I will test that some time. First I am working on the boxed limited editions and the stuff for that. But I think I will give the "adventure mode" a try and build a prototype for testing.

• Like 1