IGNORED

Modern or Classic, time to pick your poison

Shawn

Modern or Classic, Time to pick your poison.  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Modern or Classic. Choose a side and tell us why.

• Classic (1975 to 1995)
    • Modern (1995 to 2015)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Simple to me, CLASSIC. Why? Simple again, games had that genuine feel to them, many games or series felt fresh an innovative. Modern? Feels rehashed all the time, rarely does any game nowadays get me excited, sure some are great fun, but not as the good old days of gaming!

Surely for any of us over 35 feel exactly the same, it was the years of wonder and imagination, gaming at it's best!

• Like 1

The classics without a doubt. for many reasons.

They have little or no DLC & DRM, they are simple to get into, they can be emulated easily. They are timeless on so many levels (no pun intended). They are colorful. They made use of your imagination. They had character and personality. Each game stood on its own. They were creative!

Many were born from that philosophy as art and exploration of a new medium. Fast forward to today, and every game has to be this huge multi-billion dollar franchise laden with DRM and DLC and constant updating. Consider back - in the day whoever heard of a Tempest franchise for example? Games were one-off and unique then.

Everything today has to be "marketing safe" meaning it has to at least sound like it will be a hit and something the public knows about. Anything too different is bound to fail - in the marketing departments.

Modern consoles have too many updates. And they are network dependent. Internet required. Sometimes it takes an hour to complete a firmware and/or game code update. And some of it is forced on you. Furthermore when the servers go down either temporarily or permanently, you can't play! Games in the cloud and based on information retrieved from the cloud Old classics aren't saddled with the bullshit. And you don't have to worry about passwords and maintaining any kind of account information.

New games aren't really groundbreaking except for the graphics. And the emphasis is firmly there instead of the gameplay mechanics.

In other news:

While not game related, this little dust-up illustrates one of the many problems of online activations & subscriptions. Just the other day my wife had to setup a new HDD on her system and Microsoft spent 4 hours trying to remotely process an Office Activation & Product Key. Never did get it working. It seemed the MS agent didn't know the difference between a ProductKey and a PIN. Since Microsoft was unable to figure out their own DRM schemes she got so flustered and switched over to LibreOffice.

It's just like with modern games. Office has become bloated with so many features you need a doctorate to figure it out. And need to attend a seminar every time a new version is released. Just to re-learn how to do what you already know - because some smartass thinks change for change' sake is innovation! Bullshit!

If this was old school material she'd have had everything operational inside 1/2 hour.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I like classic because it is who I am...

I like modern because it keeps me relevant...

With respect..

Modern isn't all that relevant. Today's contemporary games come and go like nameless people in a festival crowd.. Out of everything on the market, I only play 2 modern games on a regular basis. The rest just kinda flies over my head. Ffftthhheeeeuuumm.

With respect..

Modern isn't all that relevant. Today's contemporary games come and go like nameless people in a festival crowd.. Out of everything on the market, I only play 2 modern games on a regular basis. The rest just kinda flies over my head. Ffftthhheeeeuuumm.

Yeah, my Vocab isn't broad enough for the correct word here but basically whatever word describes not wanting to be the old guy that is terrified of new games and technology and just talks about how good things used to be without giving the new stuff half a chance :)

Modern so I can evolve? Something along those lines I guess :)

Edited by Crazy Climber

The classics without a doubt. for many reasons.

They have little or no DLC & DRM, they are simple to get into, they can be emulated easily. They are timeless on so many levels (no pun intended). They are colorful. They made use of your imagination. They had character and personality. Each game stood on its own. They were creative!

Many were born from that philosophy as art and exploration of a new medium. Fast forward to today, and every game has to be this huge multi-billion dollar franchise laden with DRM and DLC and constant updating. Consider back - in the day whoever heard of a Tempest franchise for example? Games were one-off and unique then.

Everything today has to be "marketing safe" meaning it has to at least sound like it will be a hit and something the public knows about. Anything too different is bound to fail - in the marketing departments.

Modern consoles have too many updates. And they are network dependent. Internet required. Sometimes it takes an hour to complete a firmware and/or game code update. And some of it is forced on you. Furthermore when the servers go down either temporarily or permanently, you can't play! Games in the cloud and based on information retrieved from the cloud Old classics aren't saddled with the bullshit. And you don't have to worry about passwords and maintaining any kind of account information.

New games aren't really groundbreaking except for the graphics. And the emphasis is firmly there instead of the gameplay mechanics.

This sums it all up perfectly for me and this is why 'classic' wins. Well put Keatah

• Like 1

I think even the "franchises" were tame. Pac-Man was probably the worst, but everyone knew after Ms. Pac-Man (which, in fact, wasn't originally conceived of as a sequel by Namco) they were just milking them. Mario and Sonic were probably next, and they were all mascots. Galaxian and Galaga were entirely different games, sequels only technically, but not really a franchise.