IGNORED

New Console: RETRO Video Game System

triverse

I will support them as much as possible given the bold nature of the endeavor, but if I were asked if this made sense as presented on any level, I'd say no. As was stated by others, there's no compelling reason to develop for this over the myriad options already available. Bringing back cartridges for a unique platform is not a compelling enough reason, and bringing over indie games that can be played on countless other platforms holds little interest as well. This needs a crystal clear case for existing, and thus far they haven't made it. Perhaps I'm not being imaginative, but I can't see what that case might be either.

If instead they presented this as an alternative to the RetroN 5 that played pre-Crash era cartridges, that might be compelling, but again, this is (apparently) a completely new platform.

In any case, I'll reserve final judgment until their plans are finalized (perhaps not until the Kickstarter is live), but they certainly have their work cut out for them.

I always liked the look of the Jaguar console and got on fine with the controller, but...it's not something i personally would choose to be the design for any new project i was launching, such is the state of ridicule that sadly seems to follow the Jaguar these days in 'mainstream' areas.

And again, like others so far, i'm failing to see why any indie developer should develop for this as oppossed to any existing platforms.

I personally wish'em the very best of luck, but i fear they've a mountain to climb with this.

And what about the retro systems that have already been created like:

http://www.xgamestation.com/

http://belogic.com/uzebox/

To me, those are rather different. They have a reason to exist, in that they're meant as learning tools as much as platforms. This appears to be going for a straight up platform. I'd say the closest analog is probably the Ouya, and we all know the many issues that had and continues to have despite considerable funding and initial buzz. Frankly, I think the Ouya was also starting from an easier point (being Android-based) and had a clearer value proposition, so it's really a business lesson that needs to be taken to heart. In other words, if those guys had trouble successfully pulling off an arguably more modest goal and still arguably failed at it, it's hard to think there's much chance here. (Again, though, I'm basing this on the minimal information released. I'm sure they have answers for at least some of these challenges.)

I will hold final judgment till I know more about the games that will be released for it. As Nintendo has proven time and time again, you don't have to be the most powerful platform in the race to win or give the competition a run for their money.

What this console will need is great exclusives. As Bill has pointed out, just another platform to play the same games we can play on a myriad of other platforms is not going to cut it in today's market. The 3DO and the Turbo Duo both had versions of Madden Football, that didn't make them "must buys" for fans though. The 3DO and Turbo Grafx-16/PC-Engine also had reputable versions of a Street Fighter II, again, this did not make gamers flock to either platform. I know the PC-Engine version of SFII was not released in North America, even if it had been I don't think it would have been a system seller for NEC/TTI.

Now, if Konami is indeed on board and they were willing to release games that are not available elsewhere then it would be a definite plus for this system. I mentioned sequels in the article but what if Konami were to re-release, with updated graphics/additional content, some of their original titles that have not been available except in old formats. Take Snatcher or Policenauts for instance. Would having a fourth act, or a sequel, Snatcher change many gamers minds on this system? What about a fully localized, official, release of Policenauts?

Right now, the best thing that can happen for this system is for Mike and the team to be silent and let everyone do exactly what we are doing here. The best PR you can hope for is word of mouth and people building the hype for you. So far, that is happening, now they just need to play their cards right and get the support from devs on this thing.

That is what is being purported by the founder of the RETRO VGS, as linked to in the above article. I figure colors and that controller will probably change (unless they are getting a hell of a deal on those Wii/Wii U controllers).

I have my own reservations about this console after the information I just learned though, not that my expectations were that high in the first place (there is just so little known at this moment to get too excited).

I really appreciate the discussion here and I am making sure our hardware engineers are keeping tabs on your comments. We will be posting our "official" story on the RETRO VGS on our website today, I hope - http://www.readretro.com.

In the meantime to follow us along on our journey on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RETRO-VGS/783316545070951

And Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/retrovgs

Thanks all!!

Mike Kennedy
RETRO Media Network

Edited by Parrothead

Based on what they are going for, that controller is probably the best option. It doesn't limit the developers to few buttons, or lack of analog sticks, etc. Depending on how powerful the hardware is under the hood, it would be nice to have analog controls for things like racing games but also have digital for fighting games, etc.

I will wait to see what the system offers before having any judgement. Agree with some things said above. Things to consider

Price: A retro system needs to be affordable. Price the system too high and it will turn off customers.

Games: What can the system offer that is different than other game venues.

Controller: What options for controllers will there be. I prefer systems that give me options to use different controllers than the ones that are exclusive.

With all the classic consoles and emulation and PC stuff, do we really need yet another gaming system? And then we have modern tablets, phablets, and phones to top it all off.. Ughh..

I believe efforts should go toward working with what hardware is out there already. Maybe even reproducing some of the older hardware. A modern remake, not emulation, not simulation.

• Like 1

I always liked the msx2/sms/pc-engine style of graphics (limited resolution + (not too) limited palette). For me, that's the sweet spot of retro gaming. If Konami would produce a new 2d Metal Gear or a new game from the Snatcher series, that would be really cool (wishful thinking I guess).

That said, right now I'm playing 3ds Zelda link between worlds, which mimics the 2d gameplay experience (in a 3d way), which is fine as well.

With all the classic consoles and emulation and PC stuff, do we really need yet another gaming system? And then we have modern tablets, phablets, and phones to top it all off.. Ughh..

I believe efforts should go toward working with what hardware is out there already. Maybe even reproducing some of the older hardware. A modern remake, not emulation, not simulation.

A console without the overhead of an operating system, instant on, no network that spies on you, no drm, dlc. According to this post this is exactly what you want :D
  • Like 2