IGNORED

New Console: RETRO Video Game System

triverse

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not getting the point of this:

If it's an emulation/retron-type device, why bother? There are already hundreds.

If it's a hardware reproduction, it looks like it would have to be Jaguar, and the numbers simply don't make sense for that. Otherwise would it be another system and games put into Jag shells? That makes even less sense.

If it's supposed to be its own console with brand new, exclusive (or quasi-exclusive) hardware and games, who's going to develop for it? For a platform that would optimistically sell in the hundreds, I'm guessing no one.

What's the business model here?

Well I see SoCal has been involved with/initiated a number of retro-flavored projects...the RGRup podcast, GameGavel, 2600 homebrew games, (the underwhelming) RETRO magazine, now this (& likely other unnamed/unannounced endeavors in-between). Maybe this seems to him the next logical step in the progression.

All the luck in the world, but...meh. Not interested.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

We've had quite a few hardware platforms of game consoles over the decades. Heck, you could just take an unpopular console, replicate that in the shells/controller above, and make new games from there. Why not use the Dingoo A320 hardware? Convert that to a console, and a lot of the work has already been done. Pull off one's own Atari XE Game System.

The fact that all of us recognize the Jaguar case makes it easy to leap to the conclusion that this new system must be a Jaguar, but it seems that they're simply saving themselves some (significant!) tooling costs by reusing the Jaguar molds. Aside for the question of whether a new console is a good idea, this makes sense to me: I always thought the Jaguar case was pretty good-looking (as long as you don't use the infamous "toilet bowl" CD add-on), and there's lots of room inside for whatever they want to put into it. Their use of the Jaguar case also implies that they're already committed to using cartridge media, which is encouraging: the more I use systems based on optical media and digital downloads, the more I appreciate the immediacy and permanency of "plug and play" game cartridges.

It's difficult to draw any conclusions without more detailed information (specifications and so forth). I can see certain positives to creating a new "retro-style" console: it would be all-new hardware, and it can include modern A/V outputs as a standard feature, something that is becoming increasingly important as larger numbers of people have nothing in their homes except high-definition widescreen displays. However, they're going to need to come up with some compelling differentiating factors that would set this new console apart from other alternatives, past and present. If they're looking to create something inspired by 16-bit consoles, for example, they'll need to give interested developers a reason to support this console instead of simply developing for the Genesis and SNES. If they're looking to create something more modern, or something based on emulation or an already-existing OS platform, they'll need something to distinguish it from other modern systems which also offer these features. Then there are the issues of the availability of development tools and documentation, the logistics of distribution, the number of games that will be available on launch, etc.

They have a lot of work ahead of them, and there are still many unanswered questions, but I'm intrigued by the idea and will certainly be following their progress.

Just to "think out loud" for a moment: it might be interesting if they used an already-existing computer platform like the Amiga or Atari ST as a starting point, repackaging it as a console and re-licensing existing games in much the same way that Atari did with the XEGS. That would give them a built-in game library to choose from, and the benefits of a well-understood and well-documented architecture with a mature tool chain. Because it would be repackaged as a game console, it would also be different enough from the user's point of view to distinguish it from the original computers, which (viewed from today's context) would be much harder for most people to get into today than a game console would be. It might be an opportunity to "reintroduce" a great vintage system like the Amiga to modern audiences, if they decide to go that route.

• Like 2

Just to "think out loud" for a moment: it might be interesting if they used an already-existing computer platform like the Amiga or Atari ST as a starting point, repackaging it as a console and re-licensing existing games in much the same way that Atari did with the XEGS. That would give them a built-in game library to choose from, and the benefits of a well-understood and well-documented architecture with a mature tool chain.

This is a really good idea, but the biggest challenge would definitely be re-licensing the titles, especially those with sufficient name recgonition. Atari had the advantage in that it already owned the rights to most (all?) of the re-released games.

Look at the Colecovision Flashback, for example. While it did manag to include numerous arcade ports, it is still criticized for missing big-name titles e.g. Donkey Kong.

I have to wonder- why cartridges? As others have stated, there are so many devices out there for devs to easily publish their games to, why revert back to a potentially limited and expensive format? Yes it would be retro-licious to be able to slam a cart into the system's socket and play something like Towerfall with a bunch of friends but let's get realistic. Who will make the carts? Who PAYS for the carts-publisher/developer/Mike? Who determines how many get made or is it made to order?

Either use flash media or at worst hook the system up to a PC with a USB cable to transfer games purchased on the site Steam-style. Going cartridge I think would be financial suicide. But then that takes away the draw for the console, doesn't it? Then it becomes just another Android-like console.

• Like 1

I have to wonder- why cartridges? As others have stated, there are so many devices out there for devs to easily publish their games to, why revert back to a potentially limited and expensive format? Yes it would be retro-licious to be able to slam a cart into the system's socket and play something like Towerfall with a bunch of friends but let's get realistic. Who will make the carts? Who PAYS for the carts-publisher/developer/Mike? Who determines how many get made or is it made to order?

Either use flash media or at worst hook the system up to a PC with a USB cable to transfer games purchased on the site Steam-style. Going cartridge I think would be financial suicide. But then that takes away the draw for the console, doesn't it? Then it becomes just another Android-like console.

Who's to say it will not be flash based to some degree? I'm still waiting on the specs...

Not sure what to think about this yet. I haven't written it off, but count me with the skeptics. As both a classic and modern gamer, I cannot think of a reason to own another console in addition to what is already available.

• I already have access to all of the retro gaming I could ever dream of with emulation on PC, Mac, and Android.
  • When emulation isn't good enough, I already have access to retro gaming with original hardware. If I don't own something, I can easily buy it through eBay and other sources.
  • I already have access to all of the modern gaming I could ever dream of with Steam, Android, and modern consoles.

Perhaps I just don't have enough imagination to understand who this console is for, or what it can do for me that other options will not :D

• Like 1

I'm stoked for it... Plug and play games without needing to be connected to anything for day one updates... im hoping to see ports of modern retro style games like "Splosion Man" "Sword and Sworcery" "FEZ" "Braid" "Limbo" "shadow Complex" "Deadlight" "castle crashes". Etc etc etc etc....

I would LOVE this!!!!

The chances of holding any sort of relevance against Nintendo\Sony\Microsoft in the video game world are about as likely as taking on Ebay in the online auction world. How did that old saying go again? Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?

I'm stoked for it... Plug and play games without needing to be connected to anything for day one updates... im hoping to see ports of modern retro style games like "Splosion Man" "Sword and Sworcery" "FEZ" "Braid" "Limbo" "shadow Complex" "Deadlight" "castle crashes". Etc etc etc etc....

I would LOVE this!!!!

For some reason I'm doubting it's even going to get games like this.

I would LOVE this!!!!

I think for games like this to work the price will be high on the consumer-end. Where you can get something like FEZ for cheap on a modern system, I would expect it to be much higher on a dedicated system like this. Much like the Jaguar itself, you can get or play games almost identical on other platforms for considerably less but Jaguar enthusiasts always prefer the version for their beloved system.