IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Kevin,

Maybe you should ask Mike Kennedy about buying the jaguar molds? :grin:

Oh and send your project to kickstarter. I bet you will get funded in no time flat.

I for one will support you on day one.

Shawn

So will I, if it happens! Amazing work, kevtris! Seeing what you've accomplished (and I mean seeing solid evidence in the form of a real working prototype, not spinning 3D renders and deceptive sizzle videos), and having a better idea of the costs involved, makes the decisions by the RVGS project all the more baffling.

I think the best thing we can do is to direct every potential RVGS backer to this thread--particularly to kevtris's posts--before they pledge their money. If a retro console is what they want, they need to be informed that there are better ways to get one.

• Like 2

What pisses me off is that it's people like Kevin and others (there are plenty of people) who actually PRODUCE something who're going to get screwed down the line by these kinds of vaporware products. If anyone ever tries to get something out on IGG or KS they're not going to succeed because the public is going to be wary as they haven't got a clue what the difference is between a working prototype and a shiny 3d render of a vaporware product.

-Mux

• Like 13

If Kevtris gets his FPGA product on the market, then I think clone systems are going to be become a lot more interesting! This could be good...

EDIT:

Oh, and to answer Kevtris' question- YES! I would buy your console in a heartbeat. Even if it was at the $300 price, I would buy it if it could play all of those old systems as if it was the original systems. YOU WILL MAKE ALL THE MONEY!!!!!

EDIT:

I collect a little more information/observation on this here - http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/09/19/retro-vgs-sees-immense-social-media-backlash-as-crowdfunding-project-begins/

Doesn't look good.

LOL!!!! I just realized that site is called "Retro Gaming Magzine" The irony is just perfect! I think I'll subscribe to them.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro

Well, After seeing their IGG page, and how the FPGA is gone? or significantly reduced from their system, I can't stay silent any longer. As many know, there was talk of various "cores" on the RVGS, and that I was going to be the dork supplying them. Anyways, I thought I would inject a little bit of sanity into the whole "FPGA videogame system" realm and show off what I have been able to do alone, and without any kind of outside funding.

As long as the cores don't cost an arm and a leg you're good to go ;-)

I know mine is only an idea but you should consider talking to the RPi guys to see if you can make your board a HAT and spread the love for FPGA development as well as real emu/reimpl, I bet Altera/Intel wouldn't mind be associated to RPi.

Personally I envy your FPGA impl of the NES audio cores, I really wish you would add them to Krikzz mappers for the N8, and because I am a cheap man, I want them for free .... or cheap ... or share a little the revenue with him ... dunno.

In any case holy moly you're the man.

Regarding the IGG campaign:

8.5h for 49K -> 346h to go -> 14.5d

really slowed down, success rate around 56%

http://crowdcharts.com/campaign/retro-vgs

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I've been following this for a while and while most of this has probably been said before here is my 2 cents.

They seem to think having the console and cart cases is the most important thing about the console! This is the least important. I could take the case of any one off my consoles and still use it.

If they are using the same manufacturer as they Wii U controller I can confirm it sucks. I got the SNES colored version of the controller. It has problems when you need to press several buttons at once, I don't think changing to wired will fix that. No one in our house wants to use it and we only use it when other controllers aren't charged. Also it was sold as a Pro Controller, however it is detected as Wii remote with a Classic controller, which is fine for most games but not all, Hyrule Warriors wont use it.

What I am really curious about is why would I want this? I would think the community here is the target demographic but I don't see the attraction. Most of us would still have original consoles so the act of inserting a cartridge isn't a novelty to us. The only thing really retro about it is the case, and I already have a Jaguar. Sure it plays retro style games, but I can already play games like Shovel Knight on PC and consoles.

I think they had good intentions but this should have been a not-for-profit fun project to make a hobby console not a commercial venture. This has morphed into some kind of monster, and it doesn't even exist yet without a prototype.

Also, well done to Mux and Kev, both of these projects look great!

Edited by Amstari
  • Like 2

If Kevtris gets his FPGA product on the market, then I think clone systems are going to be become a lot more interesting! This could be good...

EDIT:

Oh, and to answer Kevtris' question- YES! I would buy your console in a heartbeat. Even if it was at the $300 price, I would buy it if it could play all of those old systems as if it was the original systems. YOU WILL MAKE ALL THE MONEY!!!!!

EDIT:

LOL!!!! I just realized that site is called "Retro Gaming Magzine" The irony is just perfect! I think I'll subscribe to them.

We started in 2009, several years before RETRO started their magazine but they have trademarked and copyrighted "retro" and "magazine" so take that as you will. We are not associated with RETRO Magazine in any way though.

We started in 2009, several years before RETRO started their magazine but they have trademarked and copyrighted "retro" and "magazine" so take that as you will. We are not associated with RETRO Magazine in any way though.

What?!!!!!

trademarked Retro Magazine? if you have proof of your domain, that it was launched way before them you have a case in a US court and they would be stripped from their Trademark.

What they did is similar to cybersquatting, or trademark trolling.

Edited by PikoInteractive

What?!!!!!

trademarked Retro Magazine? if you have proof of your domain, that it was launched way before them you have a case in a US court and they would be stripped from their Trademark.

What they did is similar to cybersquatting.

I can do better than just show ownership of the domain. We printed preview magazines through Magcloud (I still have one sealed with a stamp from the US Post Office with the date and year). But yeah, we have had the domain since 2009 or so. We also tried a Kickstarter a full year prior to theirs

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/989925720/retro-gaming-magazine?ref=nav_search

and their first (they got the trademark and copyright early the following year, 2014)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socalmike/retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-video-game-magaz/description

I am not worried about it, they do their thing- we do ours and the fans are slightly confused.

Edited by triverse

I can do better than just show ownership of the domain. We printed preview magazines through Magcloud (I still have one sealed with a stamp from the US Post Office with the date and year). But yeah, we have had the domain since 2009 or so. We also tried a Kickstarter a full year prior to theirs

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/989925720/retro-gaming-magazine?ref=nav_search

and their first (they got the trademark and copyright early the following year, 2014)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socalmike/retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-video-game-magaz/description

I am not worried about it, they do their thing- we do ours and the fans are slightly confused.

The US stamp right there is the best thing you could do as a (i guess) back up for your magazine work. That is how people use to copyright stuff back in the day. Mail them to themselves and the US postal service stamp serves as a federal seal.

Good thinking.

keep up the great work :D

The US stamp right there is the best thing you could do as a (i guess) back up for your magazine work. That is how people use to copyright stuff back in the day. Mail them to themselves and the US postal service stamp serves as a federal seal.

Good thinking.

Thank you. It is commonly referred to as a poor man's copyright/trademark. I mail myself letters all of the time like this when I have stuff that might be intellectually taken but I don't have $500+ to trademark/copyright it. I mean, there are also the myriad of places that I have no access to change the dates on showing ownership that far back.

I think triverse has the right idea. It's a waste of energy when you could be making your own product better. Plus, "Retro" has existed in magazines for a long long long time. They may have the copyright but it only exists as a slip of paper, it's impossible to enforce. Plus, among retro gamers anyone would have a hard time arguing that there's a better magazine than Retro Gamer.

I'd rather have the "retrogamingmagazine.com" over "Retro Magazine" any day. In fact, I think Retro's website is "shopreadretro" or some shit like that.

Good thinking.

Not sure why you're giving legal advice about something you clearly don't understand. This doesn't appear to be a copyright dispute. You can have a million different products called Retro on the market including books, magazines, etc…and that doesn't give someone else the right to claim copyright in your similarly titled work. If anything, this would be a dispute over a trademark to the name "Retro" in connection with a magazine and sending yourself a copy of a work called "Retro" might serve as some support for the idea that you used the name first, but it does nothing in and of itself to further a claim with USPTO to have a trademark stricken. There are other existing magazines called "Retro" out there that predate both Retro and this other magazine with a similar name, so if anything, they would likely have a stronger basis to argue for a reversal of the trademark award.

Not sure why you're giving legal advice about something you clearly don't understand. This doesn't appear to be a copyright dispute. You can have a million different products called Retro on the market including books, magazines, etc…and that doesn't give someone else the right to claim copyright in your similarly titled work. If anything, this would be a dispute over a trademark to the name "Retro" in connection with a magazine and sending yourself a copy of a work called "Retro" might serve as some support for the idea that you used the name first, but it does nothing in and of itself to further a claim with USPTO to have a trademark stricken. There are other existing magazines called "Retro" out there that predate both Retro and this other magazine with a similar name, so if anything, they would likely have a stronger basis to argue for a reversal of the trademark award.

Totally misunderstood my post. I was talking more about Trademark. If they hold the Retro Magazine trademark and come after Retro Gaming Magazine, he can prove he used that name before etc. and that the USPS stamp is a good way to cheaply and officially copyright something.

• Like 1

Also, there is a magazine named Retro Magazine in the UK, at least I believe there is. I am not trying to claim ownership of anything related to the extremely generic words I chose to name my publication (either in physical form or as a website/digital). Like I said earlier, they do their thing, we do ours. It works. I have to explain to a fan from time to time over subscription inquiries and the like that we are not them and they are not us but that breaks up the monotony from time to time.

I didn't bother going for the trademark/copyright of those three words, or any combination of them, because of all of those other people that have used those words before me, at the same time and will in the future. It is like selling trucks then trademarking the words "Ford Truck" then thinking no one else can use the word "truck" because you now have it trademarked.

Kevtris, you throw some plastic around your design idea and I will do my best to help promote it, as I am sure many others here would do.

Wow. Kevin ?!?!

First off, we were going to pay Kevin his asking price for the licensing of the cores and this was build into our funding goal ($10K/core) and had another $50K +/- in our funding budget to pay him for the 16 bit cores he has yet to develop. And these could have been shared with the community or whatever, not exclusive to us. And I could care less if Kevin used these cores to sell his board in addition to ours, he could have had both opportunities. We are selling two entirely different kinds of products. It really is amazing how everything gets turned around in these forums.

We are just three legitimate guys who want to bring a cool product to market. It's as simple as that. And set up it up as a real sustainable business that can continue to support the platform for a long time.

As of this post, I am going to chime out here as there is nothing that even remotely comes in the form of meaningful constructive criticism. And Kevin, I guess we will look elsewhere for our core development.

Edited by Parrothead

Kevtris,

I had to read your post a few times to wrap my head around the specs of this little masterpiece of yours. :)

Just my two cents on a few things:

1) Don't bother with anything else than HDMI, today it's just not worth the trouble to support the older audio/video outputs, IMHO.

2) I'm not sure grouping cartridge adaptors together (i.e. having multiple cart ports on each adaptor) is a good idea. I would prefer separate adapters, personally.

3) There should be a "bay" in the master console's casing for plugging cart adaptors. In other words, the console should be U-shaped or L-shaped, and the adaptor would fill in the "hole" once it's plugged in. That would be more pleasing, cosmetically-speaking.

Anyhow, I think your prototype is a beautiful piece of work, and is definately Kickstarter-worthy. Just keep in mind that the quality of the pack-in controllers is very, very important. Don't accept any compromise or you'll never hear the end of it. ;)

• Like 2