IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Ah, ok sorry

To hell with discourse and discussion! Seriously though, it's a shame we can't have this but BOTH sides of the political coin like to throw hissy-fits when their ideological programming, i mean deeply-held beliefs are challenged. So I can see why that is banned from discussion in a place that's supposed to be uniting people with a common interest or hobby.

• Like 1

A few clues here: http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2015/roundup092_2015.09.php

And a massive Alex Jones style breakdown to come in a week or two!

Some Surf Dog mentions around 3:45, but the interesting stuff begins at 3:49:30

Mention of current iteration of RVGS team with great emphasis on that word.

"There's going to be a special show whan that concludes [iGG campaign] with a lot of details from people who are truly in the know of just what happened and how it went where it went.... in terms of what we know... we're just keeping our mouths shut and letting it runs its own course."

"But I think we can talk about what is going on out there with this console and the reception. I think the words "Atomic Bomb" would maybe be understating this situation".

Then mentions this thread being 122 pages, so that would be around September 28th.

Following is analysis from someone close to the project, mentions being disappointed with something to do with SoCal's business decisions. The commentary on Carlsen's "proto" video is priceless. Mentions of the parody skits and alcohol.

• Like 8

These boards might be considered "homebrew" still, but they've come a long way and they're definitely worth digging into them, even just as a user.

We'll need to see some standardization in boards. Same chips, same software that can run on similar board.. that sort of thing.

Down to $42,000 now, although even the daily losses appear to be slowing. Did people forget to withdraw their pledges? Apparently they can't even pull the plug on this disatser.

http://crowdcharts.com/campaign/retro-vgs/daily

RetroVGS sat on a wall,

RetroVGS had a terrible fall...

All the King's Horses and all the King's Men,

Couldn't put RetroVGS back together again...

Down to $42,000 now, although even the daily losses appear to be slowing. Did people forget to withdraw their pledges? Apparently they can't even pull the plug on this disatser.

http://crowdcharts.com/campaign/retro-vgs/daily

RetroVGS sat on a wall,

RetroVGS had a terrible fall...

All the King's Horses and all the King's Men,

Couldn't put RetroVGS back together again...

Oh great. Now the first RVGS 2.0 console shell will be "eggshell".

• Like 2

My understanding is that IGG does not allow a campaign to be cancelled once a pledge has been made, so they may have no choice at this point but to let it slowly die on the vine.

It doesn't reflect too well on IGG, that's for sure: it has too few barriers to entry (allowing hardware projects without prototypes), and too many barriers to exit (not allowing unsuccessful or troubled campaigns to be closed early). The Kickstarter model seems to handle these situations much better.

• Like 3

Just like the early computers. The ones with the standardization survived today.

unlike PCs, it's not possible to standardize FPGA videogame designs, unless they all have identical hardware down to the circuit level, so there's no way to make compatible systems without literally a 1:1 clone of it, unlike with PCs. They would have to use the same model FPGA, the same model DRAM, same DACs, etc.

• Like 1

Some Surf Dog mentions around 3:45, but the interesting stuff begins at 3:49:30

Mention of current iteration of RVGS team with great emphasis on that word.

"There's going to be a special show whan that concludes [iGG campaign] with a lot of details from people who are truly in the know of just what happened and how it went where it went.... in terms of what we know... we're just keeping our mouths shut and letting it runs its own course."

"But I think we can talk about what is going on out there with this console and the reception. I think the words "Atomic Bomb" would maybe be understating this situation".

Then mentions this thread being 122 pages, so that would be around September 28th.

Following is analysis from someone close to the project, mentions being disappointed with something to do with SoCal's business decisions. The commentary on Carlsen's "proto" video is priceless. Mentions of the parody skits and alcohol.

Just listening to it right now. Looking forward to the next podcast.

One quote from the podcasters (referring to the John Carlsen video):

"I have seen beheading videos with less cringe factors"

• Like 6

One quote from the podcasters (referring to the John Carlsen video):

"I have seen beheading videos with less cringe factors"

Well, I think that's a bit harsh. I mean, how could you not trust this guy?

or_the_puppy_gets_iti7ypw.png

But seriously, I've been listening to it, too, and I like their candor. Now that the campaign is all but over, I'm looking forward to hearing them tell the inside story, as they mentioned they would.

They can't close it as long as it's pledged, right? So when I see the money get real low I'll pledge 1 dollar just to keep it open.

I don't think that's necessary. Why not just let it run its course?
  • Like 6

Yup. now that Intel owns Altera maybe we'll see arrays become standard in the low-end consumer arena. And maybe, somehow, more standardization.

The thing about FPGA code is that it's very modular if you design it to reimplement existing chips. You can also separate your "board integration" layer with the rest, so porting the core to a new board/bigger FPGA only requires changing that part.

The part that is more difficult is if you port a core from a bigger board to a smaller one which might have less features to reduce cost (less logic gates, less internal RAM, etc).

But this work is only a concern for developers. The end user just gets a core file to install on his box; usually by loading from SD or uploaded by USB.

• Like 1

They can't close it as long as it's pledged, right?

So when I see the money get real low I'll pledge 1 dollar just to keep it open.

I don't think that's necessary. Why not just let it run its course?

I want my ten dollars back, dammit! :P

Edited by stardust4ever

No reason to keep a pledge in this IGG. Just have IGG refund it and let the project die in peace. I'm sure Mike Kennedy will snap far before the 30 day ending and end up scrubbing most of the IGG into non-existence. With any luck we won't ever hear from him again.